RDXII EPISODE 4 - MECHOCRACY - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode MECHOCRACY. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI/XII" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I hope this one is good. TBH from all the descriptions this is the one I had the most reservations about. But who knows I thought Krysis might stink from the description as well but liked it

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

For those who haven't seen it, here's this week's teaser clip:

thinkingman, The Cat and Abe like this.
  4. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Looking forward to this one, sounds like it is going to be an 'on ship' episode, we haven't had enough of those lately.

The Cat likes this.
  5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I am glad to see that the stupid things Lister and Cat are doing are, for once, actually stupid things it seems like Lister and Cat would do. I mean, most things haven't been that far off one way or the other, but this is just the right amount of stupid.

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I'm looking forward for tonight, this is one of the episodes I have high hopes for.

The Cat likes this.
  7. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I am actually sort of dubious about this episode.
    That's followed on 2nd November by Mechocracy, in which all the machines onboard Red Dwarf go on strike - with a Presidential election held between Rimmer and Kryten to look after their rights.
    Though the teaser posted by Seb above has me excited. That had me chuckling.

8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

We've not got a whole load of promotion for this episode, unlike the last few. Either this one is less visual humor and more verbal comedy, or there was just nothing worth showing. I will say, however, that I'm putting my money on this one being good.

9. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I'll reserve my judgement until after I've watched this one. I just hope it better than the first three *prays to silicon heaven*

10. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

I'm excited and nervous. I think the quality of this one will determine whether this series is a bit of a dud or not over all. Fingers crossed!

The Cat likes this.
  11. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Yeah I think this will be one of the best and I also hope it will be a more ship based episode as I do prefer that to be honest and I also love the theme. I know a lot of people don’t seem to like the theme but I do because I think it could grow into something very funny:-D

12. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Last weeks was so good, this has a lot to live up to, hopefully it will show up on UKTV play any moment now....

13. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

It's up now

14. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Loved it!!!! The chemistry between the guys was absolutely superb, and the smear videos had me in stitches. Brilliant surprise to see an old dwarf favourite crop up near the end!

The Cat and jmc2000 like this.
  15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I've just watched Mechocracy and this is the best so far of RDXII by a long chalk, well paced throughout and funny. I loved the payoff for Krytens MechDev session, and Talkies appearance. :-) 8-10 for this ep on first view.

jmc2000 likes this.
  16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

BRILLIANT EPISODE!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Lots of laughs, amazing-looking sets, and brilliant use of continuity and old footage in the party political broadcasts. Topical too.

When I saw Talkie Toaster, I literally punched the air with joy. I felt like the Tenth Doctor finding K-9 in a car boot. Just when I thought the episode couldn't get any better!

Also, watershed moment with the reading glasses - the first joke (I think?) about the Dwarfers being on the cusp of old age. Am I ready for Last of the Summer Wine in space? Based on this - definitely :-)

Also, I rewatched Cured and liked it a lot better than I remembered. So I'd say RDXII is two for four at least, and I need to rewatch the others.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    BigOleDummy, Abe, The Cat and 2 others like this.
  17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Weird plot line.

18. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

You know what - this is my personal favourite episode since Out of Time.

The Cat and Ant E like this.
  19. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Now THAT was more like it eh? Big thumbs up.

The Cat, Ant E and jmc2000 like this.
  20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I ain't feeling it.

The plot was strange and unlike Red Dwarf. something so silly about the characters splitting into 2 trying to out petty each other with back references to vote for the dispensing machines president.

No one is more disappointed than me about this but i am slowly losing interest in anymore new Red Dwarf because this isn't the same show i grew up with.

Nice to see Talkie again but i don't really feel the desire to watch this episode again.

BigOleDummy likes this.