RDXII EPISODE 4 - MECHOCRACY - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 26, 2017.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Each to their own i guess but personally i fail to imagine an episode in series 4 where Kryten and Rimmer would run for machine president, while Rimmer blackmails the cat because he doesn't want people to know he needs glasses and lister helps kryten because he wants tv back. and so zanyness happens with so much effort being put into Rimmer and Kryten trying to get one over on each other (aswells as cat and lister for some reason).

Its like lookin at an episode like justice and Doug thinking that because Kryten was trying to make a case for Rimmer to be released from jail it would be hilarious if Lister and Cat got joy from Rimmer being in jail because it meant they would finally be rid of him and wanted to make a case that Rimmer is guilty just because it would make a funny scenario to watch Lister and Kryten act like lawyers.

And remove the simulant stuff and make that the whole episode.

Series 4 was certainly not like that.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Like you say it’s just a difference of opinion. Some people say Red Dwarf has been mostly rubbish since Rob departed, some say it has been variable in quality and some people like myself still think it remains a cutting edge, razor sharp sci-fi comedy (though I personally would agree it is not one hundred per cent like the series 2-6 peak years) and obviously that’s just the way it is.

But certainly there are enough people still enjoying Red Dwarf for it to reach an expected thirteenth run.

3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure whether I'd associate Mechocracy with series 4, especially - but I certainly think the plot points evoke classic Dwarf (i.e., Doug and Rob era).

Obviously the plot points can't be identical or it would feel derivative. But the ones I picked up were:

- The basic premise shared some themes with Queeg. In both stories, AIs don't want to be taken for granted. Both stories involve a power struggle with no lasting consequences. Both have a similar kind of storm-in-a-teacup feel, where a dispute escalates to the point of farce when isolated characters make their own drama (Balance of Power also has elements of this).

- The structure of the episode reminded me of Bodyswap. In both cases, a disaster is averted at the beginning of the episode. A minor detail of the "near-miss" is the germ for the main story (in fact, both episodes are a little bit "Family Guy" in that regard, because the main story is a unexpected tangent from an early set piece).

- Lister teaching Kryten to misbehave is a commonplace of the classic run.

- The political broadcasts made me think of mock footage from classic episodes like Kryten ("Androids"), Timeslides ("Lifestyles of the Disgustingly Rich and Famous"), and The Last Day (the Hudzen 10 infomercial).

Also, I know it's not part of the Doug and Rob era, but Mechocracy reminded me a lot of Krytie TV. In both cases, a character turns into a unlikeable caricature - one of a showbiz arsehole, one of a two-faced politician - and some of the story is told through pretend TV broadcasts.

Václav Claus likes this.
  4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

The original series also had a lot of those jokes that took multiple scenes to pay off, and Cat's thing with the glasses sort of fits with the idea from earlier series that's really come out as he's aged where he's concerned about the only friends he has left possibly not seeing him as cool.

5. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

I wish they should talk about the event in the future series

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Same here to a certain degree

I feel like there are 2 ways the cat would react to glasses

1. Panic that he isn't cool anymore

2. Embrace them and totally redesign them in a fashionable cool way

The cat in the past has shown he doesn't really care what people think because he feels he is the expert of whats cool and fashionable.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Need I point you to Rimmerworld, where the whole crew were literally about to die, and he felt it more important to clarify that he wasn't wearing the same clothes twice than to actually survive? He cares quite a lot about what other people think.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

But lets face it if the simulant told the cat his outfit looked silly in that outfit he wouldn't suddenly get insecure and decide he needs to change because he was told he didn't look cool.

Id say the cats self image to himself is more important than his self image to others.

9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Maybe that's true in earlier series, but in those the Cat is younger. As he gets older, it's easy to see him starting to worry about whether he's as cool as he once was, and becoming insecure in his image to others because of it. Characters are allowed to change. They're also allowed to have mid-life crises of sorts.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well if thats how you want to look at it i guess but personally for me i feel its abit of a disservice to the character to play on his insecurities with others like a schoolboy who is worried people will laugh at him for being a virgin or needing glasses.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. Cloud (Christmas)

Cloud (Christmas) Flight Co-Ordinator

At the end of the episode is the joke that Cat is blending up his glasses to make a glasses milkshake? I don't get it.

Abe likes this.
  12. Václav Claus

Václav Claus Deck Sergeant

I just know it probably inspirated Craig Charles to blend things for half a year in The Gadget Show.

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.