RDXII EPISODE 4 - MECHOCRACY - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 26, 2017.

1. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Yep, that's a fantastic episode. Genuinely laughed out loud more than any other ep this series. Great to hear David Ross as Talkie again. The smear campaign videos were very funny, I thought all four of the Dwarfers were on form, and the pace was perfect; no rushed endings. It had character stuff, Lister caring about Kryten, and genuinely funny jokes. The best episode of this series so far.

Dave Thompson, The Cat and jmc2000 like this.
  2. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Considerably better than last week. Some weak points but so much good stuff as well! Actually want to watch this one again!

The Cat, Ant E and jmc2000 like this.
  3. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Ok, this was better, much more like the gang, and a great reveal in the garbage bay, I wasn't sure if it was the same guy doing the vouce as the original as there is an echo down there but yes it was David Ross's tones we heard, long time coming in my opinion.
    A good episode with no distractions, for me the best episode so far and hopefully we will see listers nemesis more.
    Hopefully the next 2 episodes are as good or better.

The Cat and Ant E like this.
  4. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

In terms of the splitting into 2, I have to say I've always wanted to some Cat/Rimmer scenes - its quite rare those two even communicate with each other, so I enjoyed their little moments in this episode.

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Brilliant episode!!!! Great return by mr talkie!!!

Considering it was a “bottle episode” it was really, really good!!!

Best of the series so far I’d say!

The Cat, Pembers and jmc2000 like this.
  6. Ant E

Seriously? I thought it was brilliant!! It was an ep that felt completely unique.

The Cat and jmc2000 like this.
  7. Ant E

Although did you notice a minor nod towards the series 8 cliffhanger confirming Rimmer has died twice?!?!

Still doesn’t explain which Rimmer it is?! Unless it meant Timeslides?

8. Ant E

Considering the episode synopsis filled me with such dread - it was arguably the funniest, original and well played show since the Dave era.

Wonder why they didn’t open the series with this?

AJ Smegface and The Cat like this.
  9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I was thinking Timeslides tbh.

10. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

On first watch, it was overall a good episode. It's hard to say on first watch though, because on first watch Timewave was my favourite of series xii and after 3 watches it is now my LEAST favourite of series xii. So time will have to tell.

The crowd were going crazy in this episode, which I don't understand because most of the jokes that got the applause were no better than other jokes of the show that didn't get applause.

The plot was weird, and I am sick of hearing about politics as it is, so to bring that into Red Dwarf was an annoyance in itself. But on the bright side it wasn't over-done with it too much.

The return of TT was obviously the highlight of the episode.

The second act was far better than the first act. I didn't really understand the patience, maniuplation, and rimmer promoting/demoting Lister jokes, as in, I understood what they meant but I don't know why they deserved such applause. Requires another watch.

It is better than Timewave. Is it better than the other 2? Not sure, pretty much on par, and there's no episode that stands out as brilliant for me in series XII, but TT's appearance might make this episode win for me, we'll have to see.

11. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Great episode. Really pleased they stayed on the ship this episode as that always appeals to me more than jumping on a random ship or world.
    On par with cured,which I thought was a really good episode, but easily better than the other two.
    Loved seeing talkie back

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

As nice as it was to see talkie toaster again I am kinda sick of the back references tbh.

And skipper is bound to have a dozen more.

Having grown up with this show it still feels like a shadow of its former self.

hubbard likes this.
  13. Underdunn

Nit pick time!!!! Was there any logic to why Talkie would somehow swing the vote? Had it been established that they were both neck and neck in the polls?

14. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Watching now, hopefully big @Seb won't mind me revealing that the 'promoted/demoted' 'Technician 2.5' stuff was originally recorded for Officer Rimmer in Series XI. Hence Lister's 'ok Technician 2.0' line towards the end of the ep. Even the gran stuff and the pram in the canal was lifted straight from it.

AJ Smegface and The Cat like this.
  15. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Yeah, the previous scene:

Kryten: According to the focus groups, we're neck and neck.

Abe, Pembers and Underdunn like this.
  16. Underdunn

Excellent! Can't even fault it on a nit-pick then! Oh well, I tried!

17. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

As many suspected the Cat needing glasses was a small part of the plot, which worked well in my opinion.

I agree with @R.I.P. 2000 that Rimmer killing himself twice refered to Timeslides but it does kinda suggest that this Rimmer is that Rimmer, I.e. the original.

The return of Talkie was somewhat given away in the set reports but still cool to see him and I liked the use of old footage, was good fun. I also liked the fact they remained on ship and it was a nice, tight, well rounded plot.

Close call between Mechocrarcy and Silliconia for my favourite XII episode so far.

Abe and The Cat like this.
  18. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

TT was supposed to be taken out of the garbage chute and into the sleeping quarters as part of the deal, but he's still in the garbage chute at the end of the episode - unless they did indeed take him out and Cat put him back in to punish Rimmer?

19. Underdunn

I don't think they were ever intending to keep their election promises!

20. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Good point, much like real life lol