RDXII EPISODE 4 - MECHOCRACY - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I didn't think Rimmer killing himself twice was a reference to Timeslides because that happened in an alternate timeline where Rimmer didn't kill himself the first time. They're mutually exclusive. I didn't think it was Only the Good . . . because we don't know what Rimmer did, so it's too oblique. He killed his future-self in Out of Time IIRC.

Thankfully there weren't too many references to the recent US election. Don't forget US elections go on forever and the primaries started in 2015, so it was probably no coincidence. The only one I picked up was this business about a wall of ignorance. I thought the vending machine's concerns to Kryten might have been a reference to Bigotgate.

This episode continues Rimmer's remarkable journey from Fascist to Liberal. If it had been an earlier series he'd be doing a Mussolini impersonation.

Bit confused by the end when Talkie Toaster is still in the garbage-hold despite Lister's promise. I wasn't quite sure why Rimmer was there either. But it was nice that they found time for a coda.

I was dubious about the cat-needing-glasses subplot because it hasn't got anything to do with the episode and could be in any episode, but I'm glad it was worked into the main plot with the blackmailing. It does set up a continuity error if we ever see Cat reading small print. Look forward to that. And blackmail was a good explanation for Cat working with Rimmer, why would he otherwise.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of analogue, pre-industrial items they've got on their spaceship. Candles!

My favourite XII episode.

The Cat likes this.
  2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

What I found strange about this was the plot was quite unlike Red Dwarf but the acting was spot on, all 4 characters were well written and played.

I feel Red Dwarf is totally different but for me it worked really well in this episode, in it's own right, not comparing it to old series, it was a quality 25 mins of comedy and proves it's not all sci fi heavy.

One thing I've noticed though, is this series is really heavy on call backs to previous episodes. Either mentions of old ones or similar ideas (Rimmer's inner critic in TimeWave being a lot like Lister's paranoia for instance) So the Talkie Toaster bit I wasn't totally sure about, overall I liked it but no need for Lister to reel off the list of bread products he doesn't want, just like in Whitehole.

Overall though, really liked it, much more so than Siliconia which I thought was a bit crap. Cured I didn't like at first, but grew on me. Timewave I liked apart from Camp Bad American Accent Dude

The Cat likes this.
  3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Maybe after winning the election, Lister got Rimmer to fetch Talkie Toaster (since Kryten and he control the machines he's got leverage) he goes down there with Cat to get him, cat locks him in.

The Cat likes this.
  4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ahh, that was lovely. My opinion on the first three episodes was seemingly the complete opposite to the general consensus on here, but I think we're all going to agree that that was a really good episode. Aren't we? Please tell me we are.

UltraDevotee, The Cat and Pembers like this.
  5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll tell you something: I'm so glad Talkie Toaster's return wasn't spoiled for us - unlike another certain character's return later this season...

6. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I loved the fact that Lister considers him his nemesis!!! :lol:

7. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

That's more like it. Great episode, and so much better than last week (my goodness that was awful).

Welcome back Talkie Toaster. May I have some toast please?

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Yay KrytensPenis is back!!!!

Abe likes this.
  9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

When the premise was first mentioned it really didn't sound all that interesting, and after last weeks turkey I wasn't holding my breath. However this episode was a pleasant surprise, it was tightly written and very funny, by far the funniest episode this series. As Talkie said it wasn't a particularly Red Dwarfy premise, but I think it was handled in a refreshingly Red Dwarfy way. I really really liked this one!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    The Cat and Pembers like this.
  10. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I did take "Rimmer died twice" to be a reference to the series 8 Rimmer... even though I know that opens up a big can of logic worms! In all honestly though the Time-Slides one was such a one-off, stand-alone, last minute gag to end the ep on that I doubt Doug even remembers it!

RainbowGazelle likes this.
  11. Slainmonkey

If anything Doug remembers one off stand alone gags a little too much, if his writing since series 8 is anything to go by. If anything I think it's save to assume he's talking about Timeslides!

12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

The Rimmer who killed himself at the end of Timeslides was in an alternate dimension where he'd survived the radiation leak, thus not killing himself the first time.

I reckon it's Out of Time. Future-Rimmer killed present-Rimmer. In Tikka to Ride we hear Lister mention it, meaning it's remembered in this timeline.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  13. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Yeah but that Rimmer never came to be hence that killing of himself never happened. Ok it did have going to have happened but it hasn’t actually happened happened hackchully.

Although if one wacks a box of explosives and is killed has one killed oneself or has one been killed by said explosives?

14. Slainmonkey

This one definitely goes a long way to make up for last week, it's very funny and tightly written. I will need to see it again to really give it a ranking but this is at least an 8.....it might even be a 9 for me!

The Cat and Pembers like this.
  15. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Well I enjoyed that. U thought it would be the stinker of the stinky bunch but this was far superior to the other 3.
    Loved talkie toasters return, finally a normal non over the top guest character.
    All in all its the best episode of Series 12

16. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

Gets my vote, I know I've been very merciful on series 12 even Time Wave, but this episode should have been the season opener. It was character based, witty and silly and a simple plot without being to easy to guess where it was going. Did the virus activate the unrest in the food machines or was it because of the attitude of the crew? To be honest it didn't matter, it was funny and inventive throughout. The Cameo of an old 'friend' was great and actually the punchline at the end seemed to contradict the promised Lister made, but maybe we will see the return of the bread obsessed appliance in season 26? I liked despite between its writing and filming and eventual broadcast during that time Trump & Hilary happened and there wasn't any rushed edit or extra gags to be topical.

17. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

The plot was strange and unlike Red Dwarf? Have you even seen series 1 to 4? It was the most Red Dwarf like episode there's ever been for many years. Excellent stuff and about time.

18. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

I'm pretty sure they meant Timeslides where he came back to life and died immediately. lol. That's what I took from it anyway.

Ant E likes this.
  19. Slainmonkey

While it undeniably a topical episode, it was smart enough to not get too specific about it's satire. As such I think it as such it can remain pretty applicable to political campaigns in general, and will age better then it would if it had been nothing but a bunch of Trump jokes. I mean had this episode been as unsubtle as last weeks, they'd have prainted Rimmer's face orange or something!

20. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

Erm, yes it was established in a conversation between Kryten and Lister just before they went to see Talkie, and they also explained that was why they went to see him. Were you making a cuppa then?