RDXII EPISODE 4 - MECHOCRACY - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

So they WOULD own that 1 & 2 footage then?

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I never thought I'd find myself praising Red Dwarf for including a pro-choice joke but that gag about whether or not a document was a file before it was saved was hands down the smartest joke since series VI. Did modern Doug actually write that or did a timewave wash it up from a time when this type of original, witty and well written humour was a staple of the show?
    How does the same guy who wrote that also fill the previous episode with such witticisms as 'spit on a wrist' and 'droopy titties'?
    Who is Doug's filter these days?

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Yep.

Underdunn likes this.
  4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I suspect some scripts got more time then others.....Timewave felt like a first draft, where as this was genuinely felt refined and polished. Infact I feel some other episodes would have worked better had they gotten more time. I suspect that's the nature of Doug needing to write 12 scripts by himself on a deadline. It is funny though, this episode almost worked as an antithesis to last week's episode!

5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I've only just now finished watching this (that was a difficult two days - so desperate to watch, but wanted to wait for a quiet half hour). What can I say? I had a massive grin on my face throughout - totally LOVED it!!!

I think that overtakes Give & Take and Officer Rimmer as my favourite Dave-era episode. It probably overtakes a few from series VI too, because their characters really shone through here, in a way that they've perhaps not done since series V. Fantastic job all round, and now I really want to watch it again! :-):-):-)

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

PD = Punishment Detail

Pembers and Bluey like this.
  7. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I always associated it with Paint Duty. Maybe because its first mention was to do with paint.

RainbowGazelle and The Cat like this.
  8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Was the skeletons footage necessarily from the Nova 5? Could it have been edited together from stock footage?

Also, remember Tongue Tied and the dream recorder. We have to consider the possibility that future tech can produce photorealistic footage from something merely imagined.

9. NornIronRDFan

NornIronRDFan Third Technician

Just watched Mechocracy for the first time this morning, it was a fantastic watch and I will probably enjoy it even more when I see it's broadcast on Dave on Thursday night. Well paced, funny and a good ending to this episode (reminds me of Stasis Leak). I also found it nice to see some Rimmer and Cat scenes as I think those two create some great comedy. I like the way Doug is bringing some classic dwarf nostalgia back in this series with Talkie Toaster being his old self in this episode. Everything was good about this episode and I would give it 7.5 on first viewing.

Cured - 7 / 10
    Siliconia - 6 / 10
    Timewave - 6 / 10
    Mechocracy - 7.5 / 10

UltraDevotee and The Cat like this.
  10. Slainmonkey

My ratings are subject to change because I've only seen them all once, but here are my rankings!

Cured - 7 / 10
    Siliconia - 7 / 10
    Timewave - 1 / 10
    Mechocracy - 9 / 10

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's what I originally thought when watching Stasis Leak.
    There was a clip from Camille, but that was the second one, wasn't it? I'm referring to the very first one. I'll take a screenshot when I'm less busy.

12. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Just watched again.... it's odd.... to me this has the weakest start to any do this series so far....... however the episode itself is overall wonderful.

Everyone hitting their marks, playing it like they used to.......if only holly was back for more than 1. I am a little tired of the vending machines and their oh so funny accents but overall very well done mr Naylor!

Actually excited for next week as opposed to my thoughts each week so far!

jmc2000 likes this.
  13. Slainmonkey

Eh, I mean the voices here didn't bother me so much......but then again maybe I was just glad we never saw the return of Taiwan Tony!

14. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Great episode! It felt like getting to know the dwarfers of old all over again. The story felt a bit rushed to me. I think the ideas in this episode could have been explored in two episodes with feeling stretched out.

jmc2000 likes this.
  15. Slainmonkey

I feel this episode and last truly sit as an odd contrast with one another, as last week we got an episode the embodied all Doug's worst attributes as a writer, where as this one embodied all his best. like in Demons and Angels, last week was the lows, and this week was the highs. If we get more series' past 12, I hope we see more episodes to the standard of this or Give and Take.......and maybe then we will have a new series on par with the first 6!

Naturally that's just wishful thinking, and it's nothing more then naive optimism.

jmc2000 likes this.
  16. Underdunn

Yeah I just re-watched the episode - there's a Smeeeeeg heeeed moment which is probably from Camille, but there's also a strange expression moment that looks to me like its from one of the Dave era episodes. The anti-Rimmer video contains Holoship, Quarantine and again another Dave era looking one.

The skeleton shot I've now realised is actually a still photograph rather than footage (the camera panning in gives it a sense of movement) - it appears to be of skeletons having a board-meeting! There's even a little name-tag infront of one of them that I *think* reads "Chairman"... very peculiar.

EDIT: STOP THE PRESS!!!! It's a stock-photo! I've just found it here, dated 2013 https://newfaculty.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/death-by-chocolate-how-about-death-by-meeting/

[​IMG]

jmc2000 and Bluey like this.
  17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

[​IMG]
    Are we querying this one?

Does look like Dave era to me, though judging by the face, not X. I reckon it's XI or XII. Given the production order, I wonder if it will end up being an episode we've not seen yet...!

The Cat likes this.
  18. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I was confused by this one at first:

[​IMG]

But I think it's VII and Nanarchy and Kryten demonstrating the "insertion procedure" of the nanobots.

Pembers likes this.
  19. Underdunn

Do you know, for a brief second there I thought you'd taken a photo of your television hanging on your wall! Until I noticed the little 'Dave' logo I was like, Christ - poor Chris D lives in an aeroplane hanger!! :lol:

Chris D likes this.
  20. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Nice to hear Daniel Barker again. He's provided his voice to 6 out of the last 10 episodes. Including Twentica where he was apparently uncredited.

Notably he's voiced the lift in Give and Take, The Universe in Krysis and now Vending Machine 402 in this episode.

UltraDevotee likes this.