RDXII EPISODE 4 - MECHOCRACY - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 26, 2017.

1. metallithrax

metallithrax Third Technician

Isn't this one from the start of this episode?

2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

You know, that sort of crossed my mind when I was screenshotting it earlier. Just checking...

No, it doesn't seem like it. He doesn't quite pull that face. I don't think the background is from the sleeping quarters either.

However, here's a clue:

[​IMG]

The mystery Kryten expression is from a medi-bay scene and definitely in XI and XII. Keep your eyes peeled if you re-watch any :-)

3. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

Ohhhhh! I bet its Give and Take... Infact I'm bored witless, so I'll check.

EDIT: Nope. :-(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

So strange. I wonder if it's a future episode like someone suggested. Very poor continuity if so.

5. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

It could be from Can of Worms, particularly when Kryten explains that they've just brought a Polymorph on board. Very similar facial expressions with a similar camera angle but not identical to the one in the final cut.

6. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Mechocracy was a pure joy. Funny, smart and everyone was on form. Possibly the best Dwarf has been since it came back. It's strange, Timewave and Mechocracy are worlds apart in quality, in almost every respect. I can't figure out the possible reasons for this disparity in just one series.

7. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

I had a similar thought after hearing Cat call the cop an arsehole, all these years they have been calling people a smegger because they in general don't swear. My thoughts trail along the lines of a helper monkey writing Timewave in part at least after all his son is helping so why wouldn't he not assist.
    People say its poor in bits cause he wrote 12 episodes, sorry I don't buy that you don't suddenly change your full ethos in writing and he has had plenty of time to write or think up ideas.
    He wrote over a year ago about ideas for episode 13 so he is always planning what's next, it's been 2 years since he wrote anything so what else is he doing,
    Anyway this episode is a classic my only nit pick is at the end, Toastie is either broken or bad writing again he would never say want any toast over and over again, he would be saying something persuasive like how about a toasted beagle or muffin something along those lines but he has been off for 20 years so I will accept the premise he us buggy and stuck in a do you want some toast loop. And ignore the fact Rimmer can just unplug him.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Yes, I was similarly a bit nonplussed by the ending. Don't get me wrong, I was grateful we actually had time for an ending. But last we heard was Lister and Kryten promising to release Talkie. But Talkie is not only still in there, now he's apparently broken and repeating himself, and Rimmer is stuck in there with him. It wasn't clear how or why this happened. I can only assume Lister went into release him, and maybe ended up belting him so he got stuck on repeat, and then they tricked Rimmer into going in and locked the door behind him. Which all seems a bit nasty, actually. Rimmer didn't do anything deserving punishment, nor did Talkie. A better ending would be Talkie speaking normally in a corridor of Red Dwarf, annoying the vending machines.

The Cat likes this.
  9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Talkie isn't repeating himself because he's broken, he's doing it because Rimmer is actively trying to ignore him. It's like a child when being ignored just repeats the same thing over and over again to make their parents break down.......that's the joke! Rimmer is in there with talkie because presumably he was told to get him out of the Garbage hold and Cat closed the door behind him, leaving them locked in with eachother for a few days!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

That's what I figured too. I do feel for Rimmer in that scene and found it all grimly hilarious (grimly, because that's basically my life a lot of the time!). Best ending in ages, I thought.

Slainmonkey likes this.
  11. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I thought Grant Naylor always owned it because they created it right? As in it was invited by Rob and Doug.

Also I adored this episode. I thought it was just like classic dwarf and I love all the call backs, especially from the smear campaigns, and of course Talkie’s return! It seemed to me that the cast were a lot more enthusiastic about this episode than the others and especially Timewave. The timing for jokes were perfect and had me laughing non stop. Definitely best episode so far of the Dave era. I cant think of the funniest line for me right now but I will watch it, for the fourth time, soon to pick.
    My scores:
    • For all of Red Dwarf- 9/10
    • For the Dave era- 10/10

Yule Sleigher likes this.
  12. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I don’t profess to fully understand how it works but in this context we’re mostly talking about the production company. In the earlier series it was obviously created and written by the Grant Naylor writing partnership but it was produced by Peter Jackson Productions. It was a few years later that it was produced by (at that time) the newly formed Grant Naylor Productions.

The Cat likes this.
  13. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

Doesn't quite work that way when it comes to rights though. Whether or not you've created a show you'd still need permission from the production company that financed it if you wanted to show clips of it, or take it to another channel, merchandise it or use the characters in a different show etc. Sounds like when they formed Grant-Naylor Productions they also made sure they bought back the rights to everything red-dwarf related prior to forming their company too. Which was a smart move.

The Cat likes this.
  14. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I just assumed they were the production company, so thanks!

15. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I think it would have been better if we'd see them do this to Rimmer, as I thought it odd that on the whole it was a Rimmer episode and suddenly he disappeared until the very last scene ...

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Repeating the toast line was abit overkill.

17. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I liked the toaster glitch. Made it seem like Rimmer was in for several days of hell

The Cat likes this.
  18. BozBoozy Christmas

BozBoozy Christmas Deck Sergeant

Again, I have been disappointed. This episode was slightly better than the rest. However, the level of insulting between the guys is pretty poor. Other than the condoms in Doncaster joke, which reminded me of the earlier series.

And why did Lister repeat the exact same joke with Talkie as in White Hole? This is either sloppy or lazy writing.

I can't get me head around exactly why I am not enjoying it. It's strange. All the right pieces are there. But it's lacking something.

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Because he remembers Talkie Toaster and how Talkie Toaster operates. He knows Talkie Toaster will offer him any grilled bread product he didn't specifically decline. I loved it, it was done for the fans.

Among other fan divisions, there seems to be a big division over "callbacks". I'm loving the callbacks, I love knowing that the characters remember the things I remember, that it has all meant something and hasn't just been erased every time the credits have rolled. But others complain about a lack of new jokes. They're human beings - well, Lister is - he's not worrying about whether he's said the same funny thing over a decade ago.

The Cat and RainbowGazelle like this.
  20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I can get on board with that theory. But it would have been perfect if we had another minute or two to show Kryten manipulating Rimmer into letting Talkie out as promised, then we saw Cat shut the door on him in revenge for the blackmail. That would both explain the coda and nicely wrap up those sub-plots.