Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This weeks seems to be the one everyone assumes will be the worst, will it be weak link of the series or a sleeper hit? Discuss your predictions of the episode (without spoiling too much before it airs) and general talk about this upcoming episode.

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I read a good review in a TV guide. Sadly, it's full of sort of spoilers, so me copying the review here is a tad pointless. Still, I'll try:

Good episodes of Red Dwarf often involve Lister SPOILER. In the latest episode from the new series, he’s SPOILER and, after some needling from Rimmer, takes to SPOILER to SPOILER. This odd behaviour dovetails very neatly with another crewman’s predicament, making this episode the neatest piece of comedy writing in the series so far.

They gave it 4/5 stars.

I'd say that was positive.

3. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

I'm trying not to go into this episode with too many expectations. I did that with Entangled after enjoying Lemons so much and ended up wishing I'd not hyped it up in my head!

It's hard to say whether it'll be a good'un or not, particularly after not really enjoying the appearance of the vending machines in Fathers & Suns. :-) I think the one thing that I'm actually hoping for is a good scene between Lister and Rimmer, one where we can really see how their relationship has developed over the years we've been missing them.

Anyone got any good non-spoilery reviews?

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think this one could be another that splits opinion. I'm a bit worried as the preview didn't seem too encouraging, but something tells me I'll probably like it better than Trojan and Lemons.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be here when the episode airs and will probably end up watching it on Friday morning. I'll try to post my review by Friday afternoon.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I have divided expectations about Dear Dave. It is the episode I've least been looking forward to and it could go either way, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised! I've liked mostly everything I've seen from Series X so far, so I can't see why I wouldn't enjoy this one.

I'm reserving my higher expectations for The Beginning. :-)

6. Slainmonkey

G&T did say that the preview gives a poor impression of what they (well the one of them that actually seems to have seen the final product) think was a really good episode. I guess time will tell on it, as it seems everyone seems to have a different view on the episodes so far, many seem to like Trojan best but frankly I thought that the weakest of the lot. Many have compared Dear Dave to the first 2 series' and if that's the case I'd like to see a newer take on it....provided it's done well.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

sadly a not very good review for dear dave

Sci fi bulletin - dear dave review

4/10

8. Slainmonkey

That said all the other early reviews out right said, or implied that it was better then all the other so far. All that said is opinions (much like all the episodes so far) are divided. Many reviews have even said Trojan was the best episode so far when I found it hands down the worst. I think only time will tell.

9. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

It seems that people are trepidatious with respect to this episode because of its use of the vending machines. The vending machines have been used to good results in the past, and some poor ones (Only the Good, Fathers and Suns). I think labelling this one prematurely as "the worst" simply because it will include the vending machines is jumping the gun.

As usual, I go into the episode optimistic that it will be hilarious. I've enjoyed all four episodes to this point, and I don't expect to be let down now. :-)

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Richard III - yes, I agree. I'm guilty of vending-machine-phobia, but then you do have to remember that they've been used in the past, though in a much smaller way. The vending machines, toaster and even the toilet were bit-characters through series 1 (and some of series 2 I think).

And I guess we're pretty wary because the vending machines are relatively untested as even guest characters and their one main appearance (Fathers & Suns) has been pretty cringe-worthy. Would we vending-machine-phobia people be worrying as much if Lister was involved with GELFs or Skutters?

I'm still wary of this episode. Mind you, I was wary of Lemons and some people loved that (not me though). I was wary of Entangled and enjoyed it a lot. What I've heard so far isn't filling me with hope, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Personally I feel quite relaxed and optimistic about this episode. Taiwan Tony aside I actually really liked the vending machines in F&S.

Just the main cast feeling isolated on the ship with nothing but vending machines for a bit of extra company makes me feel this could be a classic episode, for my personal taste at least. it has all the potential to become one of my favourites of the series.

I would also personally welcome a cameo appearance from Talkie Toaster in this episode too. Although I'm sure that even such a suggestion as that is likely causing some of you to cringe. But I mean it, maaan :P

If Taiwan Tony makes another appearance however then face palm mode will be fully engaged, but I really don't expect that happen.

12. Slainmonkey

I doubt Naylor would want him as a reoccurring character because he was a one joke character (one that I didn't think was funny). In the trailer it they didn't seem as.....series VIII as Taiwan Tony did. It seems like this episode will be another that mixes opinions with multiple review saying it's the best so far, and 1 saying it's the worst.....kinda seems to be keeping in the nature of the mixed opinions of series X.

13. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

Damn it, read a G&T guest writer's set report on this ep and am now happily bouncing around in excitement for this ep.

Really didn't want to get my expectations all sparkly and shiz. :P Oh well. YAY!

14. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Really looking forward to this. The episodes focussed on isolation were always my favourite, and the vending machines in the trailer look vastly less... goofy, than in fathers and suns.

Could go either way I suppose. I suspect another marmite, and that this will be some people's classic, some peoples nightmare. But then, there are those who are resigned to hate series X, and I suspect if any of the classic eps had been part of series X, people would find excuses to hate them too...

Imagine for example...

Or something to that effect.

15. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

I shall be watching this one with a lamb doner kebab and a cider. :-D Though, I don't have a console to spill it onto and then put the fire out.

16. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

Can't wait to see which way this goes. Looks like it has potential to slide either way down the hill. Let's hope it shoots into the golden pool of classic funny and not into the pile of cow dung on the other side~

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

personally i think the last 4 eps have had a mixture of both

18. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

35 minutes to go!! :-D

19. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Here we go!

20. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Really enjoying it so far :-D