Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

My main problem is that this episode had no clear focus, switching between 3 subplots, none of which were very funny. There were some great moments (my personal favorites being Lister's human race remembrance and basically any time the Cat shows up), but they don't work together to make a cohesive whole. Call it 6/10.

Also, I don't really like Lister's new bright red long johns look (which apparently is going to carry over to The Beginning). It just makes him look, well, mopey.

2. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Loved this episode. Call me immature, but the payoff with the vending machine had me in stitches. I thought that whole dynamic was done perfectly - if it had been done as Lister being so lonely that he tried to start a relationship with the machines, it would have flopped. But by essentially having him play the straight man while the two machines acted silly, it all worked. And the tie-in to both Kryten's advice and Rimmer's report was superb.

While it took far, far too long for the Cat to appear in this episode, he once again stole some scenes when he did. The charades bit (and Rimmer's constant insistance on it being a circle of death or something), his helpful/unhelpful advice scene with Lister about not thinking about it while thinking about it...both were hilarious.

The finger-wetting machine gag also got me - I'm a banker by trade, and those machines drive me nuts. Never used them when I was a teller counting cash, so perhaps for that reason, I almost fell off my chair at the last shot of the episode.

3. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

Rimmer's obsession with a 'death-worm' was funny.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That was fantastic.......however upon rewatching it the whole green screen thing bugged me a great deal more. The episode had some great jokes but it's production problems drag it down a great deal.

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Another ok episode, I need to watch a second time before reviewing. the thing that bothers me is this talk of messages from the compute. Yes the ship must still run on a computer, but wouldn't it be better with an interactive computer, holly.

New rank order;
    X

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

OMG!! At least series X is consistent. Dear Dave was terrible with silly cartoonish acting/characterisation. Consisting of the dullest plots ever in an episode of Red Dwarf, Lister boo hooing about the human race & talking to silly vending machines (with another 'comedy' foreign accent). Rimmer's storyline about being demoted was atrocious, beyond dull with nonsense about moving toilet rolls around (more OTT acting from Kryten). & how could that even happen 3 million years in the future? Who would enforce it? Took ages for Cat to turn up, & when he did he delivered an overlong & unfunny charade gag. & things end with a truly offensive degrading line. Wouldn't it have been less unfunny if Lister's former girlfriend had turned out not to be pregnant at all?

Oh well, at least we got to see the single most awkward way to attempt to lift an object. Stay laying on top of it as you try to lift it!!!!!!! :roll:

PS - Why on earth would a vending machine be manufactured to see? :?

7. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

because of the problems the other one had at the end of series 8 that would only recognise rimmer's voice. now the choccy nut bars are unstealable!

8. Slainmonkey

It's the onboard JMC computer.....the one referenced in such episodes as Trojan (remember the last scene), Better then Life (though they were still in the simulation) and Balance of Power (the computer that informed Lister that he failed the Chef exam).

9. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Ok episode. Some funny stuff in it, and I loved the fact that it was all ship based, character based and just the four guys (well and the vending machines). But it did feel a little bit like a filler episode (albeit a good filler).

7/10 Trojan
    6/10 Father And Suns
    3/10 Lemons
    8/10 Entangled
    6/10 Dear Dave

RAGE

10. simulant37

Oh wow!! So there is series 8 continuity in this series! :roll:

As for unstealable, well if its so easy to move the vending machines around then it wouldn't take long to break into them once moved to a private location. :roll:

11. jaybo1973

I haven't enjoyed the show as much as I hoped but it is a huge improvement over the last 3 attempts. I love series 2 the best and always have but it was the first series I ever saw when I was 15. Time has moved on, we are all older. We have matured, have families etc. The silly antics of Dave lister and co were once my highlight of the week, now it is more to try and regain that feeling. Maybe, if this was the second series ever, we would love it the same? Doubtful, just that the world has changed.

12. jaybo1973

13. robbyboycar

robbyboycar Skutter

Long time reader of this forum but hardly ever posted (sorry). Watching since (very almost) the beginning, and got 49/50 on the geek quiz (bastard gazpacho soup question - doh!)

I just could not stop myself doing a post this week. Being completely honest, other than the odd flash of inspiration I've actually been a teeny tiny bit disappointed with RDX thus far. Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon we've got it back on our screens, and I think Doug deserves a bloody medal for his persistence. As an incredibly quick overview of my take on the first 4 episodes, 1 - Great (probably inflated slightly in my own mind just due to the very fact that I was watching a totally new full length episode of RD), 2 - Passable, 3 - (OMG - What's gone wrong), and 4 - slighty better (probably on a par with EP2.

So, then I just sat down to watch EP5 (was away with job this week), and I can honestly say I laughed my absolute t#ts off, almost from the very start. Doug - pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese dish up another full series like these episodes. I honestly don't know where to start, the ex-girlfriend/human race, the brilliant 'cheating on the vending machine' scenes and concept, the charades (by the end - in tears), and the 'humping the vending machine - trying to pick her up' (almost actually wet myself). Bravo - top drawer, couldn't believe it, where the hell did that come from.

Back and kicking bottom (obviously within certain sensible pre-set parameters).

I desperately hope that the last one in the series matches this for just all out belly laughs, though being completely honest I'm struggling to really understand a lot of the posts on this particular thread. I do consider myself a 'Dwarfer' and really wonder why the general tone on this weeks episode (unless I'm mis-understanding them) seems to be 'average' at best? In my opinion, the best by an absolute country mile, so so good and would stand up against anything, but obviously respect everyone's opions and really like reading them all.

Looking forward to next week already. Happy watching.

(from a rejuvenated believer - still chuckling to myself :lol:)

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Weakest episode yet, Noting happend no plot. I think Trojon the first episode was like a classic dwarf episode and was the best episode. 8/10. Trojon and Entangled have been the best, Farthers and suns, and this, where the weak ones. Lemons was decent episode good. Wish they could have all been as strong as the first episode though. :-(

15. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

If you want some continuity... Kryten's little speech to rimmer at the end of White Hole should be regurgitated to you right now :-) With the utmost love ofcourse :roll:

I thought you would have something better to criticise it with than "why would the vending machine be able to see", talkie toaster could see... what is your point? :P

16. simulant37

I did have "something better to criticise it with than 'why would the vending machine be able to see'". Were you not paying attention? :x :roll:

17. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x...Weak episode

18. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

It was good... in some ways, I wish Doug had went even more mental with it. If you are going to go for Over The Top, really go for it. ;-) I don't think shoddiness should be given a free pass, but also, I don't think you should get super critical either. I'll wait til the last episode to do my rankings. :-)

19. Slainmonkey

I'm thinking I'm giving it a 6 out of 10......slightly better then Trojan (which I still don't think was all that good) and slightly worse then Fathers and Suns. Thus making it the second weakest episode this series.

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Just watched it. It was good, not great. The vending machines were thankfully tolerable and actually a good addition to the episode, sort of making Lister feel more grounded and get a grip on his situation. It could have done with "more" but, as others have said, this is more of a series 1/2 episode in that there's no "big bad" to defeat, no death-defying situation to deal with, just a regular day on Red Dwarf with all the characters going about their own business.

But there weren't any big laughs. Cat's "don't think about it" did make me grin, and thankfully it ended just as it was about to overstay it's welcome. But Rimmer has started to annoy me. Well, not annoy, but confuse. When seeing Lister and the vending machine he instantly decides to watch, like a creepy voyeur. However, in the infamous scene in Polymorph, he made a sarcastic remark to put Lister down. He's not the same sarcastic, witty, "smarter" and more cunning Rimmer. He's a geek. And Rimmer wasn't really like that. Yes, he was a geek in that he fixated upon telegraph poles and games of Risk, but not quite so... happily awkward? See him volunteering enthusiastically in Lemons to hold a certain piece of Jesus' anatomy. Rimmer would previously have simply ordered Kryten to, or smirked as he somehow made Lister do it.