Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

The thing with the greatest episodes of RD, is that they "rode a line" where OTT was concerned. It was just OTT enough to ensure huge laughs, but not quite OTT enough to be cringe enducing. Unfortunately, "Dear Dave" crossed that line, both in an acting, and a writing sense.

I don't think I could be classed as hyper critical where the series X is concerned, as I've been fairly positive about it overall. But for the most part, last night's episode was very low-level, uninspired comedy. Again though, I will watch it again just to give it a fair chance. I will also wait till the last episode to do my rankings. :-)

Someone mentioned that being critical of the new episodes has to do with age. That if the first two series were to air for the first time now, those of us who love them would be just as critical of them as we are the new series. I dunno about anyone else, but to me, the first two series' are like a fine wine. They only get better and sweeter as they mature. I actually enjoy those series' MORE now than I did when I first watched them. I was in my teens throughout most of the original series' run (series I-VIII), so I was still a kid when I watched those series' for the first time. And out of them all, the first two improved the most in my mind as time went on. Some of the more personal, character driven elements of those two series' probably went over my head when I first viewed them, which is why I can appreciate them more now that I'm older. In my case at least, I would probably love the first two series' EVEN MORE now, if they were to air for the first time today. 8)

2. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

You're doing this now to get noticed.

3. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I fear that Kryten has become the new 'Cat', this series, now that the latter is getting better lines and purpose on the show (though still no episodes of his own, sadly).

I watching old Red Dwarf earlier - only as far back as series 6 - and it occurred to me how much better a character he was back then. Just little moments like "IT'S THE WALL!!!" in Emohawk (a GREAT episode, I might add!) are rarely seen these days. He seems more docile than anything.

4. MacabreMagpie

Jesus Christ, simmy, what took you so long? I feared you may actually have enjoyed it and may have been out doing... whatever you do for fun.

5. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Yeah "its the wall":-D he was very funny back then had his moments.

6. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yeah "its the wall":-D he was very funny back then had his moments.

7. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

yeah what do you do for fun simm?

8. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I had never heard the term bottle episode before but now I get the jist; I realise these are usually my favourite episodes. Series 2, marooned etc. As mentioned earlier, I didn't dislike it, but didn't laugh out loud, ok I laughed at the one scene everyone else hated; lying on top of the vending machine. I have missed the bunk scenes.

9. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I always found that moment cringe worthy. I think that it's because Kryten seemed to overreact there or his acting was off. Whatever it was I just found it unnatural.

10. MacabreMagpie

It's not necessarily the scene itself that I hated, I just felt it was REALLY badly executed. Went on for ages and it was obvious before they hit the ground where it was going, after which it took Rimmer far too long to turn up.

11. MacabreMagpie

It is honestly one of my all-time favourite scenes.

As said many times in the last few weeks, to each their own!

12. Angelic_Storm

Agreed. The very moment Lister landed on top of the vending machine, I knew what was going to happen. And Rimmer definitely should have arrived sooner. I suspect Doug knew fine well that the older fans would immediately think of "that scene" in Polymorph, which was a nice touch, but definitely, the scene was executed badly. It could have been so much better.

13. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Out of all the cast I think Kryten has been neglected the most in RDX. His mask seems better now but his weird walk does bug me.

To me Kryten was the intellect that carried clumsiness in the 'human aspects' but sadly he seems to have been a bit thick since RD7.

I would like to see him restored to his former glory.

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Really misS the old bunk room scenes though lister on top bung talking garbage to Rimmer.:-(

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The human race had bunk room scenes....:-(

On a serious note though, just watch the opening scene of BITR part 1, you'll soon remember how bunk room does not necessarily equal great comedy in the way that people often say it does.

On the subject of the bunkroom though, I'm wondering if its not just a communal living area now. It seems like Cat keeps his milk in the Fridge there and what logistical reason would they have for sharing a sleeping quarters anymore?

I could see why they sort of did it out of habit in the beginning but 15+ years later? Presuming Kochanski and Lister became a couple at some point wouldn't they have had their own quarters?

Maybe we'll find out next episode...

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I know this is nit picking but did anyone else notice kryten said several HIGH RANKING crew members had recommended rimmer... but if its rimmer who's been writing them then its not true its high ranking crew members.

Anyway since people are ranking the series, so far i would say.

BTE

17. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Whaaaa!?...But, but I really like that opening bunk scene, and would love to see more of the same. :crying:

Don't make me get all melodramatic on you!

[​IMG]

In all seriousness though, I really do like that bunk scene. And what's more I haven't seen many, even among the most ardent of the series 8 hating herd say they hate that early bunk scene. From what I've read and heard (even on here and G&T) most of the haters tend to say they loved or quite liked how series 8 started and felt they would've loved the series had it continued along those lines.

And to a lesser degree this is how I felt too. As personally I still enjoy and accept series 8 for the direction it took. Even though it's my least favourite (but still a very enjoyable) series.

I'm not sure why anyone who loved the early bunk scenes would hate the initial BITR bunk scene. It certainly felt like classic Dwarf to me anyway. But then I would personally place Back In The Red Xtended in the 'classic' Dwarf category (Dibbly family segment aside - but even there, some fans love that bit!) so what do I know? ;-)

Edit: And since I'm being 'controversial' here (not intentionally in this case) I'm gonna' say it...yep, I am! ...Here it comes...are you ready?...

I personally really like the Blue Midget/Cat dance.

There, I said it! And I'm being deadly serious too, even if some of will now think me mad. ;-)

18. Angelic_Storm

^^ I wouldn't call myself the most ardent of series 8 haters, but I have been very critical of that series overall. I have stated on here more than once though, that "Back In The Red" for the most part, I would consider to be "classic Dwarf". And it is definitely my fave part of series 8. I am pretty much in total agreement with everything you've just said. :-) The opening bunk scene in Back In The Red is absolutely classic Dwarf in my mind. Lister winding Rimmer up in that scene is very reminiscent of series' 1 & 2, and in a very good way. It's also one of the rare moments in series 8 where the acting doesn't appear overly exaggerated or forced (aside from maybe the "Yvonne McGruder" bit!) It's a great scene, and despite the new set and older actors, it does remind me very much of the classic bunk scenes from the first two series.

I've never liked the "Dibbley family" sequence, and have never made any bones about that! lol Unlike some fans, I actually did love the revisit to the Dwayne Dibbley character in the "Emohawk" episode, but the sequence in BITR just took it too far for me. Probably the only real low point in the otherwise excellent BITR.

You know what? For the life of me, I've never understood the level of animosity directed at the Cat/Blue Midget Dance... I've always adored that scene, and much like the "Tongue Tied" scene, Danny is totally in his element, and it comes across on screen wonderfully. I could understand someone hating the Blue Midget dance if they also hated Tongue Tied, but I can't understand how you could love the latter scene, but hate the former one... okay, I'll climb down from my soapbox now! :P

19. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

I pretty much enjoyed it for the most part but I think the vending machine humping was poorly executed.

Somebody ( I forget who) posted on here about why was Lister trying to pick up the vending machine while he was on top of it. Didn't make sense.

It would have been easier and funnier if he supposedly had his fly zip trapped while he was humping to try to free himself then placed a leg on the ground to try to lift just before kryton says the pick up joke.

But overall I enjoyed. Trojans is still the series highlight for me followed by Fathers And Suns

20. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

I actually enjoyed this episode. I saw a comment on this post earlier about Rimmer being a geek rather than being the smegheaded sarcastic ass we know and love and... yeah, I can see that. It's a damned shame, but then again maybe it's possible that Doug wrote it this way so that Rimmer is softer, less likely to bite and generally more mellowed after his many years aboard RD. Let's face it, character development had to happen inbetween VIII and BTE, as well as inbetween BTE and X... perhaps that's Doug's development of Rimmer. *shrugs* Whether or not this is true I still like Rimmer, however I would enjoy him having a good ol' sarcastic bitch at them in The Beginning. ;-)

But I did enjoy it, far more than Entangled last week. I think I'll watch it again today, actually, just to make sure it wasn't just enjoyable due to my usual dose of Red Dwarf excitement.

:lol: