Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Woah, and I thought I was nitpicky! :P

Pointing out continuity errors is a bit different though to pointing out actual flaws in an episode that are detrimental to it. lol

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Haha, I wonder why I don't see the flaws as much as other guys here? I know its far from perfect and I can pick holes in it but nothing that takes away my enjoyment. In s7 I can't pick holes in much either sans a few annoying Kryten scenes and Lister turning from a smart heroic lazy-but-asskicking legend into a sad mopey loser.

Series 8, other than pete, which was a terrible double episode, was generally OK IMO, if the funding hadn't ended there and loads more series' had followed as I think was intended, it would have been both a nice little plot device series and an experiment, the humour was different and some of it sucked but there was some really good humour there too and some classic moments.

I can understand why some don't like BTE - some people want RD to only be a sitcom set in space, I liked this show of red dwarf characters in a drama show that had some comedy in it, probably the closest we will get to a RD movie and that's fine by me as long as series 11 and more come our way and the show ends eventually at its natural end when there's nothing more for the characters to do, and they get a good ending to the show and not a "The End, The Smeg it is" final tthat leaves them in no mans land like we almost had...

EDIT - The guys who wrote that in the link really need a hobby lol

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

there are major differences od quality from VII onwards and thats most likely to do with dougs solo influence

series X is no different and i can see the great stuff but i can also see stuff that doesnt work

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Have you forgotten about him roundhouse kicking a simulant?

I wish Doug had! :roll:

5. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

I enjoyed it. A day in the life of 4 guys now middle aged stuck on a space ship. Nothings changed. Classic like series 1 and 2.Me thinks echoes of Star Trek when one episode will be set entirely on a ship to save money for a bigger budget season finale. It's all good Nd all dwarf!

6. dodgebizkit

I thought that was a great kick back to the lister that gave the finger to the inquisitor... Too bad Lister became a moany winey git most of the series...

7. dodgebizkit

I thought that was a great kick back to the lister that gave the finger to the inquisitor... Too bad Lister became a moany winey git most of the series...

8. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I'm having a bit of a debate in my head over which is worse or better: Fathers and Suns, or Dear Dave. Fathers and Suns felt mediocre, some of the jokes were a bit lacking, and those dispensers... I didn't mind them as much, but dear god, Taiwan Tony... Otherwise, the episode was strong, the scene with Lister and his *father* were great, and the idea of Pree being a computer who predicts the future strictly was hilarious, especially Rimmer's line: "So you predicted that I'd cock it up, so you cocked it up for me?"

This episode was funny, but the plot was a little lacking. The many plot threads just sort of stop. The plot threads were very fun to watch as they happened, but they didn't get resolution. Rimmer's just sort of ends, the Dispenser plot sort of ends (though that was last-minute, so I understand) and Lister's kid story, the plot of the episode that it is NAMED after, ends with one throwaway line.

So we have an episode that's good on plot with some lacking jokes, and an episode that's good on jokes bad some lacking plot. Tough decision... :eek:

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Quick question: Would Dear Dave have been better without the "letter" plot and more scenes focusing on Lister's loneliness?

While it did bring about some amusing scenes such as the ad-libbed game of charades (I didn't personally find the Cat/Lister chat scene very funny as it was just repeating a very similar kind of joke to Duct Soup and even, to an extent, Kryten's tactless opening remarks) I think it arrived so late in the episode that it didn't really feel that relevant or interesting to me.

The opening suggested an episode where Lister would begin by missing the human race and end, in 'Blue' fashion seeing them at their worst and stop romanticizing them. I suppose that was the intention of the letter, but it didn't really feel like that. It just felt like Lister now disliked that one person, there was no real closure or sense that he had moved on from his melancholy.

To be honest I was expecting a totally different kind of bottle show from this one, with much more Lister/Rimmer conversations as they sat opening mail. All that nonsense with toilet paper just felt equally irrelevant to me.

I would have liked to have seen the romantic, optimistic Lister defending the human race against a bitter, resentful Rimmer and I think this could have lead to some really good material.

It'll be interesting to see how the series 8 cliffhanger is resolved in the final episode because, strangely, it feels like if Doug had to write a bottle show, this would have been the perfect opportunity to just have a simple Rimmer/Lister bunkroom episode where some of the nine year backstory gap was discussed.

It's interesting that Doug hinted that the nine year gap was going to allow him this freedom to probe the "missing years", yet, so far we haven't seen a single conversation about it.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

actally the lister being lonely and missing the human race works well with the letter plot which oddly i don't think doug linked the 2 up very well, but the Rimmer stuff and dispensing machine stuff were incredibly pointless

doug should really hold back on the multiple plots

11. dodgebizkit

The old series rarely had multiple plots so its weird x has so many

12. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

The funding didn't end. The BBC would have liked a ninth series but Doug wanted to try to make a movie. For several years Doug said that if he couldn't make a movie then he wouldn't go back to making Dwarf on TV. By the time he'd changed his mind, the BBC had moved on and were no longer interested in Dwarf.

13. ben996

ben996 First Technician

So it's Doug's fault then? Just like it was his choice to make a Series 7 without Rob Grant, then still make one when Rimmer left, and then add a new female character to a male dominated show, then take away the live audience the main thing that made RD so special, then get rid of model shots with crappy CGI, and then decided to up the episodes to 8 which was more work to do.

The same Doug? Haha

14. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

It was his choice. Not sure I would use the word fault.

15. dodgebizkit

Well the funding ended by the time he came back. If he hadn't have chased the movie there would have still been funding. But he was betting on there definitely being more dwarf no matter what and it all got pulled away. I hope the BBC BEGGS are choking on their goat vindaloos!

16. Navior

Navior Skutter

Overall, I thought it was a fairly inconsequential episode. Not bad, but not really memorable. I have a review on my blog.

17. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol sooo that's a yes? you really are focusing on this? ..okay :P
    p.s are you white? :O

18. dodgebizkit

Lol apparently.red dwarf is racist because asian food dispenser is a reference to a race, and so having a Chinese accent was bad, but westerner food wasnt mentioned so it was ok to use a French accent, and I must be stupid not to realise why it's wrong. Lol. no offense to Bedford, seems a.nice guy outside of the racist conversations. too much of a chip on the shoulder, and that's not a reference to western foods so I'm not being racist hehe

#kinda trollin'so don't take this too seriously but ha the day rd is racist is the day I'll eat archie#

19. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

Agreed, this continual bitching and nit-picking is mind-numbingly tedious. People on here are picking over the slightest thing.

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

You're seeing what you choose to see.

Nobody here has accused Doug or Red Dwarf of being directly racist.

"So just keep on trollin' baby. You know what time it is.

Keep trollin', trollin', trollin', trollin' - what?

Keep trollin', trollin', trollin', trollin' - Come on!

Now ya' know you're confusing this ish right here
    D.O.D.G.E Bizkit is right here.
    people on the forum throw your spam in the air
    'cause if he don't care, then we don't care!" :P
    :twisted: