Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

Good so far. Even the ruddy vending machines have made me smile.

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Glad the cat's in it :lol:

3. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Oh dear... :-(

4. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

France Francis was sooooo racist and offensive!

"The mail pod turned into a jacket!" Was a real highlight

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Probably the best first half of the series so far, though a worrying absence of Cat for the first 10 mins! The charads scene probably made up for it, though.

Glad the vending machines are not so badly done this time around!

6. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Bit of an average bottle show so far... First vending machine ok, second's accent got annoying. Sharades joke went on two long. Still not sure what the plot is xD

This so far is my least favourite of the series, but by no means the worst episode ever. The plot is sound, and I'm laughing a bit... Its just... a bit dull.

We'll see what part 2 brings.

EDIT: I also loved the "Turned into a jacket" line... My one laugh out loud moment of the episode so far.

7. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

Pretty funny so far. THIS reminds me more of the old Red Dwarf - just the crew, going around the ship, talking to each other and saying funny stuff. Some Lister+Rimmer scenes. :-)

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

So far, weak joke with rimmer's hand for the subbteo (spelling?) I did quite like the gag about him writing the letters.

His bit on the "moves" was quite funny. But who exacty are they going to return the toilet rolls to for a refund? It's like every episode in this series is using ideas that suggest the human race is still out there and operating as normal. Someone will probably tell me it's a droid run warehouse that is still operating 3 million years into the future, but I don't buy it..

Cat's charade... watse of time imo.

Second half to go..

9. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Indeed. Having a small budget is a good thing. This is what I call Red Dwarf :-D

10. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

The joke about Rimmer sending in hundreds of recommendations was very good.

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Just shut it with that nonsense already. You know full well the difference between that and doing a "chinaman" impression and if you don't after the immense debate that it caused then you really have learned nothing.

12. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I'm sure the mail pod will pull together this plot. Slow starter in terms of story, but I'm still giggling :-p

13. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Its all automated. The ship's supply deck charges them for supplies on behalf of JMC, which they reutnr for a refund, and then donate to the automated medilab.

14. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I also loved the line "and they've requested that you stop writing them" line about the letters suggesting Rimmer for a promotion.

15. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I'm taking a guess it's like the Supply area of the ship, which would have held stuff for the crew for use in exchange for credits/money, like a school shop or something. Self-contained, self-run. Much like a prison economy :-p

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I'll get shouted down for this too but this mail opening scene - it's like "Better Than Life" right down to Rimmer's mail being a parking fine/bill.

and I bet "the real McCoy" thing comes into the show later.. cos it's such a pointless thing to tell anyone. Was the first person to tll you about te real mccoy? who gives a smeg?

17. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

Small talk; like the time Porky Roebuck threw Rimmer's shoes into the septic tank while he was still wearing them - an occurance we learn about in 'Marooned' for no real reason. Or the Flintstones thing... Utterly pointless, but adds to more realistic interactions~

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Cat's "Don't think about it" scene was great, easily best bit of this series since the lister video talk from episode 2 :shock:

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah but the fact she kep saying the real mccoy is really pointless. It's not even interesting as a story in it's own right. It smacks of a set up for later. Otherwise it's just really boring pointless filler...

EDIT: Pointless filler

20. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

Ahh, the wild ambitions of vending machines~