Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

one of the best closing lines of any Red Dwarf episode :lol:

But overall pretty average imo..

2. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

That was good. Very reminiscent of Series I or II. Again, like last week there was no forced dialogue or mugging to the audience.

3. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Excellent acting by Chris Barrie.

Great acting all round.

Some very funny scenes.

"M'laddo." saw me cheer.

Dispensing machine gags were fantastically executed.

Hints of Polymorph.

Obviously the charade scene was improvised.

One or two gross scenes with the search for toilet paper I thought was a bit crude.

4. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Funny how you slammed the mail opening scene for being too similar to something in a previous episode then pointed out that as being a best moment - it was the exact same joke from Duct Soup when Cat was trying to take Listers mind off the claustrophobia!

Though I should point out I'm not personally complaining as I loved both of those scenes tonight, just pointing out!

5. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I am of two minds about this episode. Some really classic stuff, but some really weak stuff as well. I felt the opening few scenes were a bit naff... then came the charades which I liked, and laughed at.

Then there was cat's don't think about it. I have never laughed at a Red Dwarf joke as much as the finger wetting machine joke. Seriously, smutty it may be... but I howled.

The Vending machine rogering I feared would end the same as the Kryten/Lister scene in Polymorph, luckily whilst the setup was identical, the puchline was varied enough for it to feel newish.

The ending was okay, nothing unexpected, I saw the answer coming.

Overall, my least favourite so far... but still a solid 4/10

6. supercat

supercat Console Officer

I'm so annoyed by the announcement bloke at Dave for telling me the entire plot of the episode when I have spent months avoiding spoilers! Stupid, stupid man! When lister held the letter in his hand I screamed "BUT I BLOODY KNOW WHAT THE LETTER SAYS NOW!"

7. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

Enjoyed it... far funnier than most of the other episodes of series X. 8/10

8. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Absolutely hilarious...best episode of the series so far :-D

Only gripe was that the charades thing was a bit too long.

9. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Second half seemed to fall off a cliff a little (the bit with Lister humping the vending machine was too predictable and went on for far too long - and why the smeg would you lay on TOP of something that you're trying to lift?) but I'll have to give it another watch.

For now, because of the strength of the first half, I'll give it 7/10.

10. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Sorry but I missed the closing line......what was the joke???

11. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Humping the vending machine went on too long, wasn't particularly clever and I saw it coming. The charades gag ran too long and wasn't especially funny. Otherwise, I mostly enjoyed this and found it funny.

12. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

anybody got a bit of chalk...

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Far better then i could have hoped, a funny episode with some really funny gags

14. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

The M'laddo bit sat odd with me, I think its coz Craig is now too old to be considered a "lad"... just sounded wrong.

Will rewatch with the girlfriend when she gets home from dance club, as is now customary each week. Will post an updated review then, I tend to take notes second time!

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed the first half of the show which felt very like series 2...things rather disintegrated in the second half though almost reaching series 8 levels by the end.

The Cat/Lister talk scene was basically the same joke repeated ad nauseum for several minutes longer than it needed to be...while Cat on "wipe alert" was just actually nauseating.

The vending machine thing was actually well played, although the extended humping was a bit ridiculous...trying for a Polymorph reaction again there Doug?

Strangely the worst part of the episode was the "letter from home" thing...it was almost superfluous and I think the show would have been much tighter without its inclusion.

It wasn't a bad episode as a quickly written replacement...but it's a shame it couldn't maintain the solid start it got off too.

Also, Lister was rather Series 8 buffoonish and terminally dense at times in this episode when the opportunity was there to play him as much more melancholic and thoughtful.

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

That's true, but I don't really ever watch series VII so I guess I didn't think of that. Thought this scene was funnier though, what really made me laugh was his "finger wetting machine" line :lol:

17. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

The vending machine saying that her dream was to see around the corner was great. A lot of good lines and funny gags. Also, Chris Barrie seems to have remembered how to play Rimmer again instead of just pulling faces all the time!

18. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Sorry for sounding dim but can someone explain that punchline?

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Channel 5?

20. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

He opened the letter after praising his ex girlfriend for being such a great person and obviously the kid wasn't his cos he said something like

"what an utter slag"