Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ben996

ben996 First Technician

The entire episode was just re-hashes of old stories, plots and jokes, come on Doug!

But despite that, I laughed the most out of any episode this series, while the story lines (yes plural) were really poor and many of the jokes have been done before it was still a very funny episode, 3/5

2. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

That's funny. Doesn't the Dance Club shut at 5? ;-)

3. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I thought the first half was weaker, mail pod came in too late as I thought from the moment Rimmer picked up his letter the episode seemed to improve. I didn't mind the charades.

Classic writing in this one, despite big-leather-arse Lister humping the vending machine.

I didn't take much to the opening scene, however I felt Rimmer held this episode together.

I'd give this the same score as Trojan 6/10

Fathers and suns 6.5/10
    Lemons 7/10
    Entanged 7/10

4. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

Rimmer was great, at last.

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Agree totally with these comments, though the odd thing about the extended humping scene was that it really wasn't getting an audience reaction, anyway, so it was odd that it went on for so long. You'd think it would have been cut down.

For me, that was the second joke of the series after the Taiwan Tony stuff which just felt too broad. As I mentioned earlier, why the hell would you lay ON TOP of something you're trying to lift?!

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

if the show can keep at this sorta comedy then great, it just means a few plot fixes and character fixes and we could have classic dwarf again

7. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Haha... nah she's part of a dance troup and they rehearse thursday nights... much to her annoyance when they announced the air time for red dwarf! XD

8. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

I think it's an all-weekend dance club, and she's been locked in.

9. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

I think the vending machine bumping was very good, and the cat
    forget about it lines was good, these moment's was classic
    Red Dwarf although the storyline wasn't the best more like a
    filler in story and for that I will give it the weakest rating
    episode of the series 6/10. Better than average but just good.

Trojan 8/10
    Father And Sun's 7/10
    Lemon's 7.5/10
    Entangled 8/10
    Dear Dave 6/10

10. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

You kidding?

"Get up and stretch your legs, sir"
    "Humans had legs"

:lol:

11. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Trojan 6/10
    Fathers and suns 8/10
    Lemons 6/10
    Entangled 6/10
    Dear dave 5/10, being generous.

12. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Yeah that line was classic, because it was original and not just a re-hash joke of a previous series!! Great line

13. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I call people much older than me 'laddie' or 'kiddies', so it didn't seem weird to me :-p xD

Hearing M'laddo again made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :-p xD And, no, I didn't sit on a particularly blind hamster looking for a refuge from the cold~ :-p

14. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I thought it was very funny, well acted, and had a loose plot that worked well. It felt like the episode most like an earlier series and I became so engrossed the time flew by. I didnt guess any of what was to come except the revelation at the end. I agree with the TV guide review that I read that said it was 'neat'. It felt very calm and relaxed, there was a cool atmosphere about the plot and the way the story moved along. No doubt this was done as the calm before the storm of next week, so it certainly felt like a penultimate episode.

The line that made me laugh the most was the finger wetting line. Purely because I was in shock. Didn't see it coming.

By far my second favourite of the series. 8, maybe 9 out of 10.

15. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Yet a French woman impression is ok? (It was an English actress doing a foreign accent for both and I see no difference lol nothing was offensive and people need to lighten up or go on a diet)

I thought it was a good episode but not a classic, just a nice moment to get the feelings if a crew stuck in space together rather than out blowing up the monster of the week with their blasters or 2 forks and a pencil sharpener :P always good to get a nice mixture of episodes, and we really have had a lot of variety. You gotta hand it to doug, he may get his continuity knickers in a twist but he's done a good job at pleasing everyone, giving us all something to enjoy and blowing up the rd franchise and bringing it back to form. He even made an episode that our very own Stimulant enjoyed, and he is a lovely but hard to please guy. He doesn't even like beers or curry.

Now we have the explosive closer to look forward to, apparently it's gonna be really mental and doug has gone all out, unable to get any spoilers on in hard as I tried in that thread and I won't mention any here but... This is one hell of a ride, is RDX

16. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

As someone who remembers sitting through Red Dwarf VIII and BTE, and the ghastly silence radiating from my flatmates as we waited for something funny or interesting to happen on-screen, this series has exceeded expectations. There are flaws and plot holes, but I'm just happy that episodes like tonight's are actually funny.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yeah, you really don't do you. Quite sad really.

Seriously, you're just boring now. If you don't get it: drop it. It takes an amazing lack of intelligence not to understand the difference in context. Congratulations on that.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

That finger wetting line killed me too, though I wasn't a huge fan of the episode overall. Maybe I will like it a bit more on a later viewing

19. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Dodgebizkit, it's okay to caricature French people. They're white.

20. ben996

ben996 First Technician

While I have been overly critical of this new series and I'm not alone in that, this series has had some good bits, great lines and a good moment here and there. Hopefully Doug will listen to fans and accept constructive criticism and improve on the show for Series XI and also not be so stuck up and up his own backside and get another writer in to help him, hopefully someone called Rob or just another great writer who can write funny stuff and great stories