Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

It's OK in my book to caricature anyone, unless you're a politically correct bore, in which case why are you watching Red Dwarf?

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I really hope this is sarcasm. If you two can't see the genuine difference in context after all that debate...then I really am lost for words.

3. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

But the thing is, in my eyes this series has been received very well. It's had GREAT reviews in the press and I honestly think that the majority of fans are pleased with it (though I think everyone has at least one episode they don't like). So I don't necessarily think that there's much needed to be changed.

4. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I'm actually wondering if the letter at the end did reveal Dave wasn't the father. They spent an awful lot of time going on about it, I'm just wondering if he said 'it was the other guy' because he knows his son is dead, or at least thinks that. He'd convinced himself he wasn't alone, that his son had made him see the value of humanity and what he has. I think the letter could have had nothing to do with the paternity of the child, leaving Lister instead wanting to live in ignorance and free from comments from the boys. So he said she was a slag.

5. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

So, who was offended by 'slag'?

They all seem to be on the Dwarf Cast :roll:

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Just as long as he doesn't go back to Kim Fuller and Paul Alexander - no offence to either, but getting people who wrote the spice girls movie and S Club 7 tv show/movie and other kids shows, is a really bad idea in my opinion. I think Paul did the daft My Hero too, which I actually thought was funny. But in a really "so daft it's funny" way. I wonder if there's any writers of the good comedies out there today that could do something good with Red Dwarf

7. bedfordfalls

Well the ladies do anyway. It's funny that they seem to have idealised Lister in the same way as the vending machine. :P

8. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Out of character for Lister... Although in an upset/stressed way people do say things that are uncharacteristic.

9. MacabreMagpie

I'm listening and to say they're offended is ridiculous - they're saying it's out of character and lacks impact because we hadn't heard of the ex-girlfriend before.

10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think that's overthinking it.

11. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

I Loved it from start to finish
    Laughed all the way through
    Thought it was the best so far
    Mark my words People will say this was a classic episode in the years to come
    It was perfect
    I really feel sorry for all the people that cant watch a space spoof comedy
    without noticing plot holes and negative points, I really do, What is happening to people?
    Do you not know you are born?
    ENJOY LIFE LAUGH LOTS LOVE EVERYTHING
    Gordon Bennet , Everything about it was pure Art.
    I dunno, Surely you know the rumours of armageddon aint gonna be true

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Ha!

Bedfordwhatever, you are saying its ok to impersonate one accent and not the other and you say THEY were racist? And you call me ignorant? Ha, you are discriminating and showing differences between races in a negative way. Pretty offensive, and I'm not even joking for once. Now stop it. All of the people at Dave channel, the crew and cast on red dwarf as well as doug himself are either offensive and just as misinformed as I clearly am, or you are wrong. And I think red dwarf was allowed to air and there was no controversy outside of this forum and definitely none by the French or Asian watchers. What does that mean? And you are the one who made this boring. I made a reference to previous conversation as part of an injone for anyone who wanted to acknowledge it, YOU made it into an argument again. Yawn :lol:

13. Oswald

Oswald Third Technician

I felt like this was watching an episode whilst stoned, if that makes sense. I enjoyed this episode, but it felt more like I was sitting in the room with them, like it was just normal... Not sure that's a great explanation, mind you!

Trojan 7/10
    Fathers and Suns 6/10
    Lemons 8/10
    Entangled 8/10
    Dear Dave 7/10

14. MacabreMagpie

There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

15. SgtSmileyUK

I also happy cos I get to make some more character models for my game.
    more vending machines - That makes me excited ! am I a freak?

16. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Indeed. Its crazy :roll: plebs :P

17. SgtSmileyUK

Didnt say there was , In fact Ive said in other posts that it can be helpful
    I was merely expressing my sorrow for those that find fault everywhere they go

18. bedfordfalls

Interesting discussion of the audience laughter in tonight's episode on G&T right now...I noticed that tonight it was almost rhythmic. It reminded me, if I may draw a poor analogy, of the irritating "what" crowd chants that were prevalent in WWE wrestling at one point. During the Rimmer/Lister drive room scene it felt like the cast had to actually pause mid sentence every 10 seconds to allow the audience to get a laugh out.

It's become really noticeable in this series and is quite distracting.

Even the girl who was offended by the "slag" comment on G&T just openly admitted "we laughed at everything"...even apparently things that weren't meant to get a reaction. I really think some sweetening needs to be done if Series 11 is filmed this way.

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Can we please stop with the racism argument? It's not going to go anywhere good, it's not going to conclude sensibly. Let's just leave it and move on, please.

20. MacabreMagpie

I don't know why we're discussing this again but there was a big difference between Taiwan Tony and the french machine. The accent WAS the joke in the former - the latter just had one.