Episode 5 - Dear Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

Well said Seb

2. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

Love ya, dude xD

Some bits fell flat, aye, but I'll ALWAYS love me some 'Dwarf~

3. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

We are all related-
    Surely you know this by now,?

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The French aren't a "race"....a simple point among numerous other points you've missed about the whole context of why TT offended people.

I had assumed that you at least understood the concept even if you disagreed with it. You clearly don't. I can only suggest you stop embarrassing yourself by discussing it until you do. I'm certainly not going to explain it to you all over again.

It would be as big a waste of time as explaining to Seymour what's wrong with his view that all French people are white!

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Andrew Ellard said a few weeks back that the audience sounding different is down to their sound recorder having their own 'style', much like directors will differ in the way they present what they record.

6. bedfordfalls

Its not so much that they sound different. It's more that it feels like they are actually interrupting the flow of the episode now. It's got to the point where I'd actually prefer some scenes to be shot without the audience just to let the scene flow a little...

7. MacabreMagpie

I know what you mean and I agree - just presenting his explanation when I asked the same question on Twitter.

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Watching tonight's episode it finally hit me what's wrong with this new series, and it can be summed up in the following single sentence: It doesn't feel like they're in space anymore.

And can someone please explain what Rimmer meant during his teasing of Lister and the possibility that his ex from earth might have been a man, when he said, "When you did the foxtrot, did you ever wonder why she was shaving?" :shock:

I've tried to like this new series, but the fact that I've deserted tonight's episode 28 minutes in and left it playing in the background while I write this post tells me it just hasn't worked.

9. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Have taken my notes, will post review in the morning when my writing skills aren't half asleep :-D
    Sad to see the window joke ruined in trailer... that was funny, should have been saved.

10. bedfordfalls

That was a peculiar line. :?

Another odd one just discussed on G&T: The "Charades" pronunciation correction from Kryten? That was a bit of a headscratcher...

11. MacabreMagpie

The thing with this episode and Lemons is that - though I laughed a good amount of times - I think it's actually a little boring, though mostly the second half. I don't look forward to watching either of them back multiple times.

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Talking of audience laughter- someone on twitter, I think Llewelyn said something about everything being filmed infront of an audience except what can't be, but those scenes that weren't were played to the audience for a genuine reaction... This didn't have any scenes that were obviously unfolds me in the studio with the audience, any speculation as to which it could be? The vending maching dry humping?

13. MacabreMagpie

There were a few obvious green-screens that I assumed were those scenes.. such as the one where (if I remember right) Kryten was telling Lister to appreciate what he had on the ship. The background was obviously added in later.

14. dodgebizkit

See already kindly requested to stop this discussion so I don't see why you decided to continue it to tell me that I am embarrassing myself with it, which I obviously am not. But just to reply to correct the gap in your knowledge - Taiwanese is not a race and the race (Asian) wasn't mentioned in the episode.

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I have to agree a little bit, and I think it's primarily because the story lines just aren't gripping enough or take far too long to get into

16. dodgebizkit

Ah didn't notice any of those, wasn't paying attention :P will look out on the rewatch :-D

17. bedfordfalls

Lister: "You know who'd know: that Asian fast food machine..."

Also: The machine is called "A Taste of Asia"

The machine is not actually called "Taiwan Tony": that's what the Dwarfers in their ignorance have nicknamed it.

Anything else you need explaining? Can I get you any more rope? :P

18. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

This talk of racism is doing my head in. Red Dwarf was never PC. It was never meant to be PC and it never should be PC.

As for what does or does not constitute a race:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

19. MacabreMagpie

Good point on G&T - some long model shots would have suited tonight.

20. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I think it's time to stop as requested by Seb.

Dear Dave was not bad... not bad at all! Good chuckles, a few laughs and overall things that weren't predictable.