RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Apparently it's an unused music cue from series I, although I've never heard it before (might it be on the RD soundtrack albums that Howard Goodall released last year? I really want to get those). Just like the waltz music, this begins by evoking a famous piece, and continues in similar style while also incorporating elements of the Red Dwarf theme. Genius!!

2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

The shadow of vagueness doesn't even allow you that I'm afraid! Since 'to the day' can also be used with weeks and months!

3. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

It's just in regards to your Beatles reference. I feel the episode was more of a poke at the dark side of technology in a dystopian capitalist future. Apple Inc probably leads the way in that with their evil app store, whereas Apple Corps has far less influence and power except in the music industry. I can imagine people buying lots of extra tokens for all those freemium games such as Farmville and Candy Crush, paying for it with time taken off their own mortal lives once they've cleaned out their bank balance :lol:

4. Underdunn

Beatles reference....? OH!!! I was just pointing out an example of where corps silent 'p' was used as a pun in real life is all! It was a complete tangent to be honest! :lol:

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Does "the day" mean the day of the week? Lister ejected the guitar on a Tuesday and it's almost Tuesday? The most pointless observation ever!

The Cat likes this.
  6. Underdunn

Ha ha ha! Maybe! Though I'm happy to rule out it being almost a week!

Past a week though, that's when we're in the weeds with it! It's just a turn of phrase to describe falling upon an exact measurement of time... "Almost two weeks to the day..." "Almost three months to the day..." "Almost six years to the day..." could be any of them really.

7. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I did have a similar thought. Howard has some tracks on Spotify but unfortunately not those which you speak of here, which I actually forgot existed. I'm going to try and sniff them out. However, I have a suspicion that it won't be on those 4 soundtracks he released last year:
    I guess we need to look out for that one! Source: http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/11/11/howard-knows-the-score/

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I reckon M-Corp is my favourite Dave-era episode. Though I still think the resolution where Kryten talks her into shutting herself down was a disappointing re-hash of Pree except this time it wasn't as appropriate. I also don't really like the idea that Lister has actually forgotten everything's that's happened to him and Kryten is using CCTV footage to tell him. They can't have CCTV footage from all the parallel dimensions and derelicts and jaunts back to Earth.

UltraDevotee and The Cat like this.
  9. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

• Dave Lister has be stranded a million years from Earth since the Late 80’s and being the last human in the universe hasn’t been without It’s perks, but he doesn’t do it alone. However What follows is the first example of a troupe from the first 2 seasons as the full sorrow of Listers position comes to bare as he is all alone more or less. The Dave era of the show with a few exceptions had shifted the focus away from Lister, instead finding himself caught up in a Kryten or Rimmer based plot. It was good to see the last human alive back again, a lone lager guzzler in deep space in deep trouble. Reminiscent of Lister being all alone on Garbage World in the Better than Life Novel, his Isolation saved by in this case by M-Corp persuasive and threatening interactive Avatar chillingly played by Helen George, there is a darkness here. For the first time in the series since Back to Reality or Out of Time, the series is being less than optimistic, chilling but also funny, a difficult balance which works here.

10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Ah, well spotted. I'm only going off what others have said on the unused Series I music thing. There were a couple of comments on G&T (I think) but no one explained how they knew about this (hence my assumption that the music must have already been released somewhere). It seems plausible to me that it does date from that era though, since it shares similarities with that other piece from Series I.

11. Underdunn

(bib) Yes! I think that really sums up what I liked the most about M-Corp! It was Lister lost, alone and (briefly) defeated again!

12. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

It was briefly that feeling of the canteen flashbacks from series 2, roll on red dwarf xiii, think Doug is on a role

13. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

I think also they must have been able to use Kryten's stored memories and also download Rimmers from his Light bee. Then you have Holly's stored files from the watch Lister had for example in Backwards...Seeing as though Lister has spent all his time either with Holly, Rimmer, Kryten or on the ship I think they have most things covered.

14. dazza4783

dazza4783 Skutter

It is on the series 1 soundtrack. It is called "Additional #10"

Chris D likes this.
  15. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

But his feelings won't be, I guess? How he felt etc Must be like getting a series of Big Brother installed inside you ...

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

That's annoying. I'm sure I used to have that, but can I find it? No.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

"Lister, the last human in space" is the core of the show for me, with the rest of the crew secondary characters for him to talk to. Rimmer was resurrected just to keep him company. Cat evolved from his pet. I've toyed with the idea that Rimmer, Cat and Kryten are figments of Lister's imagination because he's gone crazy with loneliness. Like Tom Hanks' character in Castaway talking to the ball. Of course that would mean a huge chunk of the plots are his imagination too since Rimmer, Cat and Kryten do things. But I like it when they focus back on Lister.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  18. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

it's on the DVD of Series I.

19. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Errr did you forget the big three million year age gap there?

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Late to the thread here but, is it me or are these new episodes kinda repeating old material.

The start of this episode bordered on 'Epideme', and then the finale was literally recycling old material. I understand why but at the moment this entire series just feels like a soft reboot or rerun.

To top that the episodes aren't really funny anymore. The audience laughter is clearly not that great. Plus Kryten looks crap, which I don't understand.