RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

...also....at least it had an ending lol

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

It was ok, perhaps abit Fantasy science for whats meant to be earth technology though.

Earth likely went to smeg with that kinda technology taking over.

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Another good episode, 1st half was great but went a little flat and rushed during finding lister at M-Corp, I think maybe some dialogue lost in the edit here as they all knew exactly what was going on. I did like the ending with the return to 'The End' start though.

4. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

I loved the effects of them holding things that were invisible. I was actually struggling to figure out how they achieved them.

..But Lister now has no memory of all the events of the show? I wonder if he'll get them back? At first I thought the virus was in the dead medical chip they installed in the beginning of the episode, but it was actually in his brain? I didn't realise you could reset your brain using the hologram discs, like a system restore... Surely brains dont work like that?

The Cat likes this.
  5. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

He'll get his memories back within a month according to Kryten. Rimmer just has to put up with the 23 year old Lister until then.

mtullock likes this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Great. I'll give it a watch soon.

The Cat likes this.
  7. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around. At least now I have a more recent reference....for a two line part of a song from 30 years ago that for some reason I still sing!

I think there are one or two plot holes to keep within the running time - I have the feeling it was an idea that could have been mined for a few episodes, but in keeping with the earlier ethos of the series, I guess it is good to keep the episodes self contained. (or elf contained...contained within an elf....as my pre proof reading elf nearly allowed me to post.)

I do think that episodes like this show that they are truly back, to me this is four comic actors (who have arrived at comedy from different places in the entertainment business) really doing some good work.

Lister, shut up.
    I'm only hummin'
    Right, you're on report me laddo.

Pembers and The Cat like this.
  8. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

Oh I must have missed that part. That makes me feel much better about the ending now, ha!

9. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I loved it! I found some of the parts when they were actually in M-Corp a bit weak and rushed but the rest was great. I loved it when Cat started spraying Lister with larger, that really cracked me up (Ik it’s in the start bit but seeing it in the episode is even better!). All the jokes were amazing and the ending was great. Also the special effects are amazing in this episode!!

Also with Lister’s mind being rebooted by a holo mind (which can be done, as stated in Bodyswap), surely it wouldn’t even be him anymore if you know what I mean...

10. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Dave are knocking it out of the park....no, that's not what I mean......err....Dave are sending a six straight through extra cover and into the grandstand with the Thursday night comedy.

I like Have I got News for You...but in all honesty BBC has been very pedestrian with panel show, after panel show in it's comedy output in the last few years - here we have Dave, banging out two comedy shows that require sets and a lot of work - I say bravo. (I also like Taskmaster....except this series)

AJ Smegface, Pembers and The Cat like this.
  11. Underdunn

Philosophy innit? What makes you you? What are we if not the end result of all our memories?

12. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Hmm, I suppose. But surely the version of Lister before he had to be ‘rebooted’ is just gone and its a new person or Lister with the same memories and personality.

13. Underdunn

Same applies to anyone using a teleporter in (most) science fiction.

14. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

That has always irritated and confused me... But it is science fiction isn’t it.:roll: I overthink sci-fi too much haha!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  15. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Really interesting story this week, made it fascinating to watch. I didn't find much to laugh at, but the story made up for that.

However, I want to know how Red Dwarf was able to even download updates and get the M-Corp stuff teleported onboard? What is it connected to? Also, I really, really, really hated that ending for Lister. 30 year's worth of development erased for the sake of a weak joke. I know he'll be back to normal next episode, but that's not the point.

Overall, possibly the strongest episode of this series let down by some plot holes and yet another poor ending.

16. Underdunn

Awwww I really liked the ending! I thought it was quite sweet in a way!

The Cat and wavesd like this.
  17. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Is the "P" in the word "Corp" silent then? I honestly didn't know this...

The Cat and wavesd like this.
  18. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

They talk a lot about "The Space Corps" throughout Red Dwarf. It's a silent "P". Did you think they were saying "The Space Core"?

"Space Corps directive..."

wavesd likes this.
  19. Underdunn

Yeah, its why The Beatles called their company Apple Corp. They did love a pun, those whacky beatles.

KrytensPenis and wavesd like this.
  20. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I'm with you on that. I actually described it to myself as "quaint". Actually one of the best endings I think I've seen in a RD episode for a while. Certainly different but I did like it.

As for the episode itself, I did like this episode. I think Mechocracy beats it for laughs, though arguably M-Corp has a better story concept. Not sure, I need to watch it again but, yeah, good. Feeling stoked for the finale this time next week!

AJ Smegface, Liam W and wavesd like this.