RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

ERROR ERROR ERROR.

The "ps" in the word "corps" is silent. The pronunciation of "M-Core" is actually an error in this episode.

"Corps" is related to the words "corpse" and "corpus" and means a body (as in a "body" of men). It's a loan word from French. "Corp" (no "s") is short for "corporation" and should be pronounced "corp".

2. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I think that is an example of a comedy show that can still give you an interesting fact or two!

It is a French word and (generally) they they do not pronounce the last consonant unless it is followed by an 'e' so the most glaring examples you will see are the verb endings for 'they' "ils courent" for example you would say "il cour" (with a nice roll on the 'r' as if you were an extra from Allo Allo!

But as an aside....I speak French, and I have been in the army...and I still say 'corps'!!

3. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Yeah

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Interesting!
    We're all learning stuff tonight.

5. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Someone is going to have to break all this to Paul Mccartney.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

When I heard "M-Core", I was so angry I simply turned the episode off. And now I'll never know if I would have liked it or not.

7. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It's Apple Corps, not Apple Corp - so he's safe :-)

8. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Good job you didn't stick with it JMC. They said 'Irregardless' at one point.

9. mrmmlp

mrmmlp Skutter

M-Corp? More like M-Bore!!

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

LOL.

11. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Really liked that episode, another ship bound story and a really interesting one at that. The 'villain' was played very straight and not too menacing, much like Pree from Season X.

I liked the ending, it was fun.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Proper review coming tomorrowish, but that was another good episode. And I'm another who liked the ending.

Ant E, wavesd and Pembers like this.
  13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I'm confused by this business about not getting updates because Cat unplugged something. Wouldn't the reason be that they're three million years into deep space and human civilisation doesn't exist anymore?

I'm also confused why the perception filter didn't make the crew disappear at the same time. Why does it work on objects first and then people ten minutes later.

Are Lister's clothes M-Corp? Because he didn't appear naked.

Why could he see the beer when it left the can? I get that it might work by identifying a Leopard Lager barcode and filtering it like an ad-blocker, and the liquid won't have an ID. But Cat doesn't have a barcode.

Why did the perception filter filter out Rimmer? He's a JMC hologram, and JMC got bought by M-Corp, so what's the problem. He's now an M-Corp hologram.

Actually, given M-Corp owns everything, then everything's M-Corp. So everything should still be visible, including Leopard Lager and DivaDroid.

Why didn't they need to install the virus? She just agreed to sell them a virus and then shut down.

Why did Kryten instantly know they'd been charging Lister in time? It's the most obscene "best-guess" ever.

Why does shutting down M-Corp bring Lister back to relative youth? They aged him. His biology was changed. Was it just a visual illusion? He was acting old too.

Lister wasn't even part of the JMC when he was 23, was he? He'd be working at the supermarket and dating Lise Yates or Hayley Summers. Why would they have a personality file from before he joined.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  14. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I think it is a similar thing with the mail pods, they were travelling away from earth so these things only caught up with them once they turned around.

Dwarfer_Stu likes this.
  15. AlexG

AlexG Skutter

Loved the episode! I'm in the US, but I watch a lot of shows from the far side of the pond. Usually I am up to speed with the different cultural references. But just this once I have to ask, on behalf of all Americans... what the hell is wrong with our chocolate?!

Kryten has that line about M-Corp buying everything that nobody wanted including maggots and "The American chocolate". I've only ever had American chocolate, being American, but I think it's pretty good. It's hard to beat a Reese's Peanut Butter cup for sheer deliciousness in my book.

Does British chocolate cause spontaneous orgasms or something that I don't know about?

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

It was a fun episode. There's some plot-holes that niggled me. I thought the ending was abrupt again. I really enjoyed the sequence where Lister was totally alone. I really love that idea, I think it captures the original premise of Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf doesn't feel lonely anymore with all these crowds turning up all the time.

It wasn't clear to me exactly where M-Corp was. When they teleported into M-Corp, where did they go physically?

17. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

If the M-Corp thing was just a software update, where was it exactly that Lister was teleported to?

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

While they did mispronounce it, it's not necessarily an error that Lister, Cat and Rimmer would do that. They're so used to saying "corps", and they weren't very learned to begin with. People mispronounce words in real life all the time. The only part I can't explain is that Kryten did too, and/or didn't correct them.

19. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I think US choccy is just considered 'different' in the same way that British chocolate (and sweets in general) are different from Europe.

I am one of the weird, but lucky people, I like all of the different - supposedly totally in opposition to one another - chocolate types. I love Hersheys, 3 musketeers, tootsie (sounds rude for some reason); I also love British Cadbury's and Galaxie; I also once had an hour long conversation with a Belgian chocolatier and 5 years later I still get a box of Belgian chocolate every Christmas, which is really nice. All different, all good in their own way.

20. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

great ep, someone said they didn't find it funny, I chuckled all the way through. Great idea and the guys delivered their lines very well. The effects were great . Doug hit a home run with the script. If anything I wish there was a little more of Lister and his 23 year old mind at the end to turn the screws on Rimmer a bit more . But that's a minor quibble. This series so far for me has 2 standouts eps , this one and Mechocracy. 2 pretty good eps , cured and siliconia. And Timewave which is a bit hit and miss but includes enough good bits to still be happy with it. For me anyway.

I have a feeling from the bits and pieces I've read online that the final s12 ep might just be the icing on the cake of this run. Rimmer through time sounds fun. Can't wait now.

Any thought of RD running its course must surely be moot now that we're on 5 and we've seen enough quality to shame the TV of today. The real virus today is reality TV.

The idea of getting older in space can be mined for many more ideas. I for one am hoping for s13 and beyond.

Thanks Dave, what a channel ;-) ;-)

AJ Smegface, Chris D and The Cat like this.