RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I’ve just noticed on rewatch that when they’re trying to locate Lister by his implant, that in the background, the screen is still M-Corp when I thought rebooting the ship got rid of that.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That was a really interesting episode, it wasn't as comedically strong as last week's episode, but it was held up by a strong premise. While I feel the M-Corp computer was kinda taken care of way too easily, I feel this was also one of the better paced this series. I liked it quite a bit, maybe not as much as last week but I'd still give it a keen 8/10.

3. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

I don't think it is. By today's standard yes, but remember they are in the 24th century and use dollar-pounds. It's possible the closer ties with the US I the 24th century mean that they are using American pronunciations for some words. If so it's correct

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Yeah, I didn't laugh at anything but strange as it might sound I don't come to Red Dwarf to laugh all the time. I come to see Lister moping around Red Dwarf and that's what we got. The premise was great, obviously a satire about our forced update culture where the updates aren't necessarily better, but not too on-the-nose about it. I too thought it was annoying how Kryten essentially just talked her into shutting herself down. When they did that to Pree it made sense, but I don't think it did here. She could have presented them with a flash drive. If you ask a scientist to make a disease that would kill them, they wouldn't drop dead, they give you a phial with the disease in it.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  5. Slainmonkey

Oh I got a few laughs and there were some funny gags throughout, but I feel the highlight here was the premise. While I personally enjoyed last week's more, it was nice seeing an episode with such a fresh and genuinely interesting plot.......that didn't become insanely overstuffed liked Siliconia (not that I hate that episode or anything). I feel the core idea was explored really well even if it was resolved in an anticlimaxic manner. Still I think this is maybe my 3rd favourite episode of the Dave era so far.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The fact that Hershey’s chocolate tastes and smells like vomit?

I like a lot of American bars, you people do great things with peanuts and peanut butter. But the chocolate itself is pretty universally awful compared to Cadbury’s and others we get over here - it’s dry, crumbly and bitter. It’s not your fault, Hershey have acclimatised you to it.

The Cat and Dwarfer_Stu like this.
  7. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Americans don't pronounce "corp" as "core".

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It literally does. I believe Hershey's chocolate contains noticeable levels of butyric acid, which is also found in parmesan and sick.

9. Slainmonkey

I have to agree Kryten that American chocolate is terrible, I prefer chocolate that doesn't have the distinct aftertaste of upchuck!

10. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

A perfect example of why the world has become a horrible place to live now. Nobody seems to know how to just sit back and watch a TV show anymore just simply to watch and enjoy it. The trend now is to sit with a notepad and scrutinise every little detail in order to compile a list so they can have a good hate whinge on an online forum. It's a comedy show for gods sake. Do you suck the fun out of everything you watch? Don't know if it's because im 45 and from a different generation, but I watch it to enjoy its fun and silliness. If something doesn't make sense, i dont care, its a comedy. The show has been this way for it's entire existence. Have you compiled a list like this one for every single one of it's episode?

Today's Fish... likes this.
  11. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Okay... Let's see if we can head-cannon some plot holes out of existence!

It is a bit of a tricky one! We'll have to go with the fact that even though humans are long dead, the technology they set up has still been going... Similar to how the (much smaller and localised) shopping network was continuing back in X... ran by computers that just continued to obliviously create updates for a species that no longer existed... and like often happens in Red Dwarf the technology has gone slowly insane.

Actually that one is alright, Kryten did dismiss that little issue with a single line - something about the perception filter taking a while to get to a hundred percent. By happy plot friendly coincidence Rimmer, Cat and Kryten were simply some of the last things to go before it kicked in fully!

He saw the contents of the baked beans tin too after he opened it! I bet if he dissected Cat he'd also be able to see his innards!

He's sort of a rogue hologram really I suppose, running off unofficial technology created by Legion rather than the original JMC light bees.

Well that's down to what happens when a company forces updates on you! You can't use the old stuff anymore - so everything that was pre M-Corp was supposed to be replaced. M-Corp is all about making money. It's like a mobile phone company constantly making your old stuff redundant so you get new ones.

Into the onboard computer itself I think. Confusingly!

UltraDevotee and The Cat like this.
  12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Most people think things like terrorism are an example of why the world has become a horrible place to live now. You think it's someone asking questions about a Red Dwarf episode. If that's a perfect example of what's wrong with the world, the world's okay.

Heaven forbid we keep our mind switched on when we watch television! No, I haven't compiled a list like this for every single episode, mainly the XI-XII episodes because that's when I joined the forum.Though I've certainly contributed to the "Explain That?" thread for old episodes.

I don't see why comedy can't also have a plot that works, it's also a scifi show. This thread is for people to give reactions and thoughts on the episodes. There's no rule that says we have to all say "it was really funny" and aren't allowed to think about the plot.

If you're primarily watching for jokes, that's cool. I'm not criticising your priorities, but you're criticising mine. Ironically you're whinging on an online forum about people whinging on online forums. Essentially you're complaining that people don't mindlessly applaud everything.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    The Cat and Underdunn like this.
  13. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I'm not sure about this one. As someone mentioned it seemed like an episode of Black Mirror. I'll have to watch it again to see what I thought. I guess nothing is going to top last week's epic Mechocracy sadly.

14. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Well this is going to annoy me now.

What do WE call the episode now then? M-Corp or M-Core?

The Cat likes this.
  15. Slainmonkey

1. I just assume Lister was teleported to the nearest M-Corp outpost, which I assume there are multiple, I assume that's also where all the M-Corp products teleported into Red Dwarf from. That's certainly the big thing I feel the episode could have been more clear on though.

2. My guess is since Rimmer is Legion tech, he is therefore not property of M-Corp.

3. The Leopard lager was the first thing to disappear, in that scene the couch, everything on the bunks, and the tables were all still there. So clearly Lister's sensory filter made things invisible in phases....it just so happens the Crew were one of the last!

4. As for the updates not arriving because Cat unplugged a cable....that's just a Red Dwarf thing isn't it, like the Late arrival or Kryten's replacement with the Hudson 10. Much of what humanity left behind is still going, it just seems to always arrive late.

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

So were the updates shooting through space towards Red Dwarf like post-pods, they don't require connection to the M-Corp server back on Earth to download them?

17. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

As I prattled about earlier, no reason to assume there isn't still an M-Corp server back on Earth (or a space-station) cheerfully running away despite the fact all of humanity is extinct!

18. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Great episode - fewer laughs than last week, but a really involving story.

Initial thoughts:
    - Performances brilliant all round - everyone seems to be effortlessly inhabiting their characters once more, and Helen George was a deliciously chilling villain.
    - Ray Peacock! Wasn't expecting that, though I guess he's just following in the footsteps of Tony Hawks.
    - Lister smoking again (well, doing the ciggie-in-ear thing at least) made me really happy! There are a lot of back references in this series, aren't there? I'm enjoying them though, and I think the series (I mean Red Dwarf as a whole) has earned them by this point.

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

If there is still a functioning M-Corp server back on Earth, that's certainly a new development. They contacted Earth, and there's still electricity running there. Or else possibly M-Corp has a lot of Mirror-servers through space.

20. Slainmonkey

Given the nature of M-Corp, I could have imagined it being the very thing that wipe out the Human race.......I could if it wasn't for how easily it was defeated by Kryten!

UltraDevotee likes this.