RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

It's like the shopping network from X... or the upgrade station from this series... or the prison from justice... or the waxworld theme park... The notion that the human race has died but the technology it's created has continued to keep itself running without them has been Dwarf-lore for years.

Slainmonkey likes this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I understand that, but in this case they downloaded an update from a company based on Earth, with no explanation. So in this case we have three options: 1) the updates don't require contact with an M-Corp server to download 2) M-Corp is still functioning on Earth 3) M-Corp has mirror-stations in deep-space. I'll go with the latter.

3. Underdunn

Not quite sure what the difference between 2 and 3 is. What would be the problem to you if M-Corp was still functioning on Earth? Or at least was at the time it sent its last update out... which could have been a hundred thousand years ago for all we know. Aren't all signals and tv stations and stuff that Red Dwarf receives very, very, very late?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

As positive as I am about this episode, I do think that Uncle Frank joke was really forced. I'm not against it being referenced but that joke was really really flabby and awkward......and not akward in the way it was intended. Not a deal breaker for this episode by any means, but it's another instance where episodes like this would have been even better if it had another draft to tighten it up......I mean if the anticlimaxic resolution and Uncle Frank bit were fixed, this episode might have even been a 9 for me!

5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

One thing I'm not sure about, how come Lister is unable to see Cat? At the point where they all disappear, Kryten is talking about Lister being unable to see objects or machines manufactured by other companies but I don't think he mentions people. I'm guessing it's to do with the purchasing friends idea that comes up later on, but it wasn't entirely clear to me. Did I miss something?

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

My guess is that Lister isn't authorised to interact with people who aren't part of the M-Corp family......or at least that way my take on it.

7. Underdunn

Maybe he's classed as a pet!

The Cat likes this.
  8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

A server functioning on Earth vs a server functioning in deep-space.
    It wouldn't be a problem per se, but it's interesting for the universe if they made contact with a functioning server on Earth. It means Earth hasn't been blown to bits, is not a blanched wasteland, etc. It might still have people on it. They could look for a feedback/helpdesk option. I suppose the "problem" would be why not jump on their first contact with Earth to see if they can talk to someone.

Although the JMC Mainframe might have been their first contact with Earth. I wasn't sure quite what was going on with that, if that was something from Earth or just something onboard.

9. Underdunn

Ahhhh! I'm with you, yes.

No I think maybe you took the M-Corp place wrong - though admittedly it wasn't very clear - but given all the other analogies going on here I don't think Lister was teleported to a physical place, more a cyber-space that was part of the update. It's like how my X-Box updated a few months ago and now there's this whole new market-place I can 'go to' which I still haven't fully got to grips with yet. He's just sort of 'inside' the programme, not back on Earth. Then the programme keeps him there.

Its true that Earth *might* still have people on it. The Dwarfers have only ever speculated that it doesn't, they don't 100 percent know for sure. But I think any updates and broadcasts and the like that they receive have taken thousands and thousands of years to get to them - I don't think its a real time thing. So they could pop an email to M-Corp HQ if they like but it'll still be series 45 before they get a reply!

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Hmm... I think that, with both M-Corps and Siliconia, Doug may have a thing against the current trends and online ecosystems, microtransactions and closed software that is around nowadays

In any case, M-Corps was very very good. Lots of stuff, well plotted, and it looked fantastic. The visual of Lister waking up on an invisible bed, the M-Corps lady appearing (and sinisterly offering Lister a fire extinguisher from behind a wall of flames). The white-ness of the M-Corps place itself, such a stark contrast to Red Dwarf's grime and industry.

And again, the plot! This was like Give & Take again, so well plotted and keeping to Red Dwarf lore. Having to refresh Rimmer from a backup. Hell, having to refresh Lister from a backup. Rebooting the ship. Kryten and Cat mot being visible (I can accept Rimmer too as technically, as others have mentioned, he's been modded, and we all know what companies think of modded hardware don't we boys and girls?). And it all stems from the breakfast scene! So many twists and turns that fall into place so well. Re-enacting the very first scene at the end! Well, not quite - it gets partway through. Cat unplugging the update computer (why hello opening scene of DNA). Thankfully this week's annoying mechanical, Chippy, was tolerable and short-lived.

And the jokes! They were there too, and some good ones. Uncle Frank (can I get on?). The mountain of chips. The invisible objects. The prices of the M-Corps stuff. And just lots of other little gags, but there were plenty of them.

This, for me, was a brilliant Dave episode. Could it be up there with the best of the BBC era? I don't think so. This isn't a criticism of this episode per se, but Red Dwarf used to take itself a bit more seriously, whereas these days it's a bit wackier and with more gimmick plots. But even so, to go out on a high, this was pretty good Dwarf.

11. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Loved this!! So wonderful to see that the Boys from the Dwarf have grown into a close knit unit, looking after each other without losing who they are!! Great story and deliciously creepy Helen George. Great episode!!

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Hmm... I think we have to respect the in-episode punctuation. Maybe pronunciation changes between now and the far future.

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Like I said earlier, we don't have to assume that the characters pronounced it correctly. Pronounce it M-Corp and assume Lister, Cat and Rimmer were mispronouncing it and Kryten just didn't bother correcting them.

14. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

How can one person nit-pick so much you make a comedy boring??! Lighten up you bore...

Ps how you managed to make it past series 2 with ALL the continuity errors and changes in series 3 I have no idea....

DivineVarod likes this.
  15. Trauntrian

Trauntrian Third Technician

It's just an upbringing difference. Brits are used to how British chocolate tastes and Americans are used to how American chocolate tastes. So US companies make chocolate that tastes "right" to someone used to American chocolate.
    To someone growing up eating British chocolate as a child, American chocolate has a bitter aftertaste. But the same might be true if Americans get some British chocolate imported - I'm not sure

16. Underdunn

:eek:

Well I for one am ALL about the nit-pick!! And trying to solve the nit-picks for my own pleasure! It's like a fun little puzzle to solve after you've enjoyed the episode! You just need to embrace your inner-dork is all. Grab that inner-dork of yours, give him a big tight hug and come and play with us Ant!! x

The Cat likes this.
  17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

In terms of acting I thought it was the best since the superb Give and Take. The guys really nailed the characters (with the one exception of Rimmer doing impressions like Chris Barrie would - given a pass for Lister's amusing facial reaction).

I wonder why Doug named it M-Corp rather than the previously used Mega Corp...since the M played no part in the story really.

All these callbacks and references to old episodes do seem to be foreshadowing or nudging the viewer towards something epic in Skipper. I hope it can deliver. The fact that I actually found myself wondering if Kochanski was going to make a cameo here shows that it had me hooked. This could have worked well as a series finale so I'm excited that Skipper must have something even better lined up.

Another very solid episode with the only real let-down being the again all too inconvenient way that the peril was nullified.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I think I lost count of the callbacks (and that's not a complaint).

Cat unplugging the update cable recalled DNA
    The end recalled . . . The End
    The Uncle Frank story recalled the Last Day (?)
    I'm sure the invisible toothbrushing scene recalls a Series I episode where Rimmer holobrushes his teeth?

Today's Fish... likes this.
  19. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

"Lister wasn't even part of the JMC when he was 23, was he? He'd be working at the supermarket and dating Lise Yates or Hayley Summers. Why would they have a personality file from before he joined."

he was working for the JMC for 18 months before the accident- you can turn from 23 to 25 in a space of 18 months.

20. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

There's a scene on the main intro where the Cat is presumably polishing Listers shoe with an invisible show cleaner? Was this a deleted scene as I don't recall seeing it...