RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Either that or I’m imagining it. I’m actually really struggling to envisage which episode it is.

That’s going to bug me. Time to rewatch. Again!

2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

The shoe polishing thing? Whilst I don't think that scene from the opening titles has been seen yet I do for some reason have a memory of another moment where Cat does an exaggerated shoe polish on someone!

3. Underdunn

It's not Krytie TV is it?

4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Finally got around to watching this episode. Loved it! A hokey science fiction plot which nevertheless makes some good points. Like last week's episode it felt like old classic dwarf. If next week's episode is good the last half of XII might raise it above the average Dave era quality it terms of humour and subjects. The comedy flowed naturally in a way it often hasn't in recent years.

5. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I liked that episode a lot. The second half is certainly shaping up to be better than the first

6. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Here is a thought..... did cat unplug the update machine after getting in trouble for unplugging the console in DNA? Was that the moment Red Dwarf stopped getting system updates? I know he said he would use gel....but....

7. johnjdc

johnjdc Skutter

Yeah, second good episode in a row, and second episode where the thing I was sure halfway through was going to be part of the later plot wasn't...

8. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Good episode, not as good as Mechocracy, or Cured, but still enjoyed it alot!
    7.5 - Cured
    5.5 - Siliconia
    5.5 - Timewave
    8.5 - Mechocracy
    7.0 - M-corp

UltraDevotee likes this.
  9. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

It was brilliant, which adds to my quite sincere confusion as a low-tier 'TV production guy' myself, how does this sort of thing happen over the run of a season of six episodes? I mean between the standard of episodes we got in the first half of XII and the ones we're getting now, something must have happened. No matter which half of Series XII you prefer there is a stark difference in terms of ideas, production values and plotting.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Yes, there is a stark XIIa and XIIb.

XIIa is increasingly crowded ship-of-the-week stories with little-to-no callbacks, which received mixed reviews. XIIb is shipbound stories packed with callbacks, almost unanimously praised. The second half feels very self-aware, like the overall run of Red Dwarf is thick in the air.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I've established that the episode it's from is Skipper based on the other scenes from the intro which we've not yet seen and the suit Cat is wearing (purple, sparkly).

What I can't explain is why I feel like I've seen it before. Underdunn, you mentioned an older episode, maybe you're right. I have been trying to think if I've seen it anywhere else, like in a trailer or anything like that and that doesn't appear to be the case.

I think I'm just going space crazy.

The Cat likes this.
  12. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Regarding Listers mind not being being backed up since he was 23, I reckon it was a common thing for civilians to do in the 23rd (or whatever) century and he did it a few months before joining up with The JMC and they told him he’d have to get it updated ASAP and he was like ‘yeah sound like you know’ or whatever and then he just didn’t.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm loving these Red Dwarf-based plots. It was another good episode that again felt very season IV. Thinking about that, how would those impressive invisibility effects have been handled in 1991? Would they have been as good? I know they featured invisibility in Backwards but not to this extent.

Various thoughts:
    • Please, audience, no more whooping noises when Cat does something.
    • That line about American chocolate...Never tried it myself, but it immediately put in mind Bill Bryson's description of his ecstatic reaction to trying European chocolate for the first time after previously being familiar only with the vastly inferior American version.
    • More great planetary shots in this episode that just beg to be used for desktop backgrounds.
    • Did anyone else think Kerry Shale had returned when Chippy started talking?
    • The line: "The stress of hearing you're going to die has caused you to die" was very similar to a line in Cassandra when she states how Rimmer is going to die.
    • Helen George was very good as Aniter. She was like a three-dimensional Pree but with even more of the understated menace.
    • The restaging of Red Dwarf's first ever scene was a lovely way to end. I'd happily watch them recreate the whole episode.
    Funniest line:
    Lister: "I'm just praying that's an electric toothbrush."

Overall: As with Mechocracy, this felt like a better-looking season IV episode and demonstrates that the show still isn't getting stale even after three decades.

Rating: 7.5/10

AJ Smegface and The Cat like this.
  14. AlexG

AlexG Skutter

This adds up actually. From Backwards: "I'm 25 now. In ten years' time I'll be fifteen." That would make him 22 when the show started, so his last backup at age 23 was probably in season 2 when he downloaded the memory of Lise in Thanks for the Memory.

Hmmm... it seems Red Dwarf runs on some version of WSUS. That's how my company handles Windows Updates. They come to a central server in the building and are pushed out to the workstations after they're tested and approved. Which makes sense actually, you don't want your computers rebooting as soon as they download an update if you're in the middle of plotting a course or landing a Starbug or something. So it must be that the updates are pushed to a single device (which Cat unplugged) whose sole purpose is to receive patches and then deploy them to the rest of the ship's systems when the timing is appropriate. For all we know the update came with the post pod in Series 2 and has been waiting in there all this time.

Haha, alright! Thanks for the explanations everyone! I was just so surprised because I know most of the points of contention between our two cultures... what to call the cargo area at the back of the car, proper use of the letter U, the art of standing in line, etc. But I'd never heard this one referred to before.

I never noticed the bitterness but your description of something less crumbly sounds appealing. What are some of your favorite brands for chocolate? Does Amazon.CO.UK sell any? I think I want to import a few bars and taste the difference for myself... at the very real risk of ruining local chocolate for myself forever!

The Cat likes this.
  15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Why does being 25 in Backwards mean he was 22 in The End? He's 25 in Future Echoes too.

16. Underdunn

It’s a bit of a weird one, but do you watch ‘Upstart Crow’? It’s occurred to me that there’s an extremely similar scene in the latest series of that! Why our combined minds would replace it with Cat in our head, i don’t know, but I think that *could* be it!

17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Nope. I don't know. It's doing my head in!

18. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I was going to say is it the flossing with tow rope from Fathers and Suns as the actions are similar. But I've just watched the XII intro and they're not similar at all ha.

19. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I wonder if you're thinking of the Blue Midget dance? Specifically the part where Cat goes a bit Gangnam Style and waves his arms around. His facial expression is similar to the Skipper scene, as is his outfit.

Weirdly, I didn't recognise this scene as being from Skipper at first, as I was convinced DJJ was wearing a pink sparkly suit on the night. It looks far more purple on screen.

The Cat likes this.
  20. Smelkus

Smelkus Skutter

I imagine if anyone droe a car manufactured by M-corp they wouldnt be able to see cars not manufactured by M-corp which would have increased the number of road accidents