RDXII EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Like how Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC.

Pembers likes this.
  2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Yeah and how the initially unsuccessful Sausage-Club became S-Club... and the rest is history.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Yes but Samasara didn’t have any symbols/logos of M-Corp, but when Red Dwarf was updated they were EVERYWHERE.

However it might suggest why Kryten knew so much about it if they had already come across it. He could have investigated it off screen.

4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

That doesn't mean there is no connection. A company can change a lot from being bought or rebranded. Such a change can happen in a few years, and obviously we're dealing with centuries of human history here. Unless otherwise stated in the future, I'm happy to assume M-Corp is a rebranded, perhaps more aggressively avaricious form of Mega-Corp.

5. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

i’m not talking about a change in name, I mean this ship it’s self. it doesn’t have anything to do with M-Corp.

6. reaktor24

reaktor24 Third Technician

This was the best episode so far for me. Back to the ship with the crew doing their own thing.

I thought the American chocolate reference was a bit of a dig at Cadbury / Mondelez International who now own Cadbury. They bought a British company and effectively ruined the products by cheapening the ingredients. They completely ruined the Cadbury's Cream Egg and I haven't bought one since. I used to love them.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

How old did Lister turn? Kryten calls his birthday "the big one", and it's more than 40. Which implies 50, but I don't think he's 50. I make him 43.

25 (Future Echoes)
    25 (Backwards)
    28 (Tikka to Ride)
    ~31 (Back in the Red I)
    ~32 (Only the Good . . . )
    ~41 (Back to Earth I)
    ~42 (Siliconia)
    ~43 (M-Corp)

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Why 1 year between BtE 1 and Siliconia when it was 3 series and 8 years in real life?

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Siliconia Kryten says it's been one year to the day since Lister ejected his guitar in Fathers & Suns. So S10E02 - S12E02 is one year in-universe. We don't know how much time elapsed between Back to Earth III and Trojan, mind. Possibly we did skip seven years ahead in-universe that time.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  10. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Ah fair do’s forgot that line from Kryten.

11. Underdunn

Actually he says "It's almost to the day." - unfortunately leaving it open to interpretation how many 'years to the day' this particular anniversary of guitar-flush-gate is. It's such a strange way of saying that sentence that it almost feels delibrately vague.

12. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'm pretty sure that Kryten actually says 'it's almost to the day that it got flushed into space', which suggests that Doug is being deliberately vague over timescales. So I think it's pretty clear that Lister's meant to be turning 50 in M-Corp (Craig himself would have been 51 when the episode was filmed).

I love this episode more with every rewatch - in fact I think I've got a bit obsessed with it! Particularly the scene where Lister is all alone in the bunkroom. It's the music that really does it for me, it's beautiful - slightly reminiscent of Handel's 'Sarabande'. It reminds me of my all-time favourite music cue, the Blue Danube-style waltz from Confidence and Paranoia (composed around the same time, I think?).

13. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Underdunn, you stole my thunder! ;-)

14. Underdunn

We both went for 'deliberately vague' too! Yay us!

Paul Taylor and Callisto252 like this.
  15. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

8 years would make him 49 in Siliconia and 50 in M-Corp! Sounds about right!

The Cat likes this.
  16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

We shouldn't assume Red Dwarf time is always our time. Lister only aged 3 years between 1988 - 1997!

Upon rewatch, Kryten does indeed say "it's almost to the day", which I thought was "one year to the day". I agree it's an awkward observation, which seems like Doug is deliberately teasing us with a whiff of chronology. I thought the "eighteen months later" caption was in Only the Good . . . but it's in Ouroboros. If Lister did turn 50 then it looks like this:

25 (Future Echoes)
    25 (Backwards)
    28 (Tikka to Ride)
    31 (Back in the Red I)
    33 (Ouroboros)
    42 (Back to Earth I)
    50 (M-Corp)
    I love that sequence too and wish it had gone on longer. It reminded me of the film Silent Running, one of my favourite scifi films and an influence on Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf for me is better the less crowded it is, and Lister alone in space was re-capturing that original premise of Red Dwarf.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I too like that scene. I really want to know what the music is. Is it an original composition for the show? Shazam doesn't seem to recognise it, and honestly there's not many times that happens. There's something slightly Red Dwarf theme-esque about it.

Straight after the moonshot, and you're looking at Lister laying down on an invisible bed, a flute kicks in. It's only the first 3 notes that remind of it, but it sounds like the 3 notes of "...cold out-side..." from the end theme tune. Might just be a coincidence.

18. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Which is odd, as in Stasis Leak Rimmer says three years have already past since the accident. Which would mean all the other adventures only took a year???

19. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I reckon all things considered 50 sounds about right. Lister says he is 25 in Future Echoes but he could have been a week or so before his 25th birthday, or just had it, both easily meaning he was 24 when the accident happened.

In Series V we get a couple if '4 years' references, which could have been 3 years and 9 months say, with series 6 following straight on and then VII again straight from that. This would have meant that Lister turned 28 about a year before VII but he only said 'since turning 28' not 'having just turned' or similar so whilst it's a stretch it just about works.

The caption in Ouroboros and Lister's '5, 6 years' statement in BitR are consistent, so he'd now be 30/31. Say 31 by the end of the series. The 9 years later caption in BtE makes him 40 and therefore about 10 years has passed 'in universe' which isn't so out of the question as its been 8 and a half in real life.

Or it was 45, or something else, dunno.

The Cat likes this.
  20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Him being 50 doesn't contradict anything, Kryten implies it, so I reckon he's 50. He could have been anything down to ~43 though. While Dave-Dwarf seems to be ageing in real-time, BBC-Dwarf didn't. I could just as easily have accepted that all of Dave-Dwarf happened in one year, until that reference in Siliconia. That means it's been at least one year.