RDXII EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

She was my favourite Holly too. I always felt she added a warmth to the part. As if she sort of cared about the boys in her dotty, senile computer smegged up way :-)

Mardroid and Nikki the Great like this.
  2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Yep same, Hattie has always been my favourite Holly. I just assumed it was cos I'm not hardcore enough, but guess there are others.

DivineVarod likes this.
  3. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

No I always preferred Hattie as well. I think Norms series 8 run really put me off. But I feel bad that Hattie always seems forgotten about

Nikki the Great and DivineVarod like this.
  4. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Don't know if she was my FAVORITE Holly as I like them both very much. They're both "Holly" to me, Hattie (much to her credit and to her acting ability) made her Holly both unique and comfortably familiar at the same time. She stepped into some mighty big shoes and filled them with much aplomb. I hate how they "finished her off" in her last few episodes. The cross-eyed Holly is sad to see.

Mardroid likes this.
  5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well hatties holly actually saved the day in Back to Reality, even if she didn't get much to do in the episode she still got that moment for her last episode.

Mardroid likes this.
  6. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Yeah, that's true but still ....... and as you say, she did get a spotlight on her even if only for a second or two.

7. Captain Capslock

Captain Capslock Third Technician

HATTIE WAS MY FAVOURITE TOO. I HOPE SHE WILL RETURN SOMEDAY.

DivineVarod likes this.
  8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'd vote for Hattie too. I thought Norman was great in Skipper, but I can't see how they'd manage to fit his version of Holly into the show in its current format - 30 minutes barely seems enough time as it is.

I think Hattie's version would work much better - even if she doesn't get much dialogue and is mostly in the background, I'd really like to see her there. She was quite a comforting presence, and a female character you were actually glad to see in the series.

DivineVarod likes this.
  9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like them both in different ways. Normans had the best gags, though, but that's a product of writing. Hattie could have delivered those jokes too, if she had been provided the sufficient writing. When she was given more material for White Hole she did well. Granted Talkie Toaster had much of the comedy lines in that scene, but Holly's reactions to him were a delight.

If there were a way to fit both Norman and Holy into future series, that would be good. Actually, considering Holly may still be recovering from being waterlogged, that might be reason enough to bring them both back. Due to malfunctions he/she could be switching back and forth between both faces...

10. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Male Holly for Red Dwarf, female Holly for Starbug?

Mardroid likes this.
  11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I imagine even though Norman and Hattie are friends Norman would still prefer to be the only Holly then share the role.

Norman seems like the sorta person that if you told him they were bringing hattie back to share the role he would be like but why? i am the original holly so just use me.

Infact i often wonder whether the reason Doug never brought hattie back is because he knew it would sour any chance of Norman changing his mind about coming back.

Mardroid likes this.
  12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Watched Skipper a second time an hour ago and basically my opinion remains the same. It is the best of the second half of series 12, finest of the entire series, a great way for it to go out and could even fit as the final ever episode in the hopefully unlikely case of there being no more Red Dwarf. Norman is great in his 2 minutes and so is Mac, even if he is in his series 8 character, which I enjoyed anyway back in 1999. The Rat shouldn't work because it looks a bit cheap the way Danny is dressed, but even though it is so silly that is ultimately what makes it work and it is really funny and that scene has grown on me even more! While the sublime twist by Doug that Rimmer has so much pettiness and bitterness in him towards Lister being even better that he even skips the sole universe where he has achieved all his dreams is genius writing.

My original rating was 8.5 and because it feels so special and I have rated The Beginning 8.5 (and I think Skipper is even better) then I will give it a 9 after second watch!

13. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

It's a shame it looks like it got such a smaller amount of people watching it (outside of the top 30) according to BARB, as I think it is the best episode too.

14. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Here's a thought, in the dimension where Listy was captain he says he found a planet with 'Helium 7' or whatever it was, the same as was found on Planet Rimmer. They also had just arrived back on earth.

Now did Lister find Planet Rimmer, or did he find a planet with the same stuff? If it was Planet Rimmer does that mean our dwarfers are closer to home than they think?

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Either its not the same planet/moon or Doug totally forgot while writing that they are 3 million years into deep space and so shouldn't be the same planet/moon.

Either way its probably not likely that they will say they are closer to earth in the next series.

16. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Well that's cleared that up then.

17. TheSirSpence

TheSirSpence Skutter

Basingstoke, UK, Europe, Third Planet (Earth), SOL
    I feel like I am in the minority, in that I thought the episode was okay. It was nothing special.... Great to see Mac, Norman, the old bunkroom and the classic captain’s office again, but it just felt like fan service at the expense of the plot.

The first part of the episode, pre-skipping was fantastic…. I think it went a little downhill after that.

It was explained to Rimmer that the quantum skipper needed a recharge time, well that only happened in the first instance when it suited the plot. After that… it was thrown out. Lots of the little skips, which could have fleshed out an episode if this premise was given to an entire episode.

Rat was great on first viewing, disappointing thereafter. Captain Lister and Posh, wire collecting, Lister…. Fantastic!

I think for me this episode would have been great if it would have been the full episode runtime, maybe it could have been set up in the previous episode, like Confidence and Paranoia set up ME2

18. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

They're both good.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Skipper is probably the highlight of the Dave Dwarf for me.

Although while I like the idea of the episode and what Doug did with it I think a criticism would be that it depends heavily on nostalgia and thats already something that thrown in all over the place in new dwarf.

I just fear Doug is getting dependant on it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  20. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I thought the selection of episodes for Dave’s Red Dwarf 30th anniversary night was decent and varied while I appreciated the fact that they were not all the obvious choices and there were some more recent ones too. But I must say as much as I enjoy Mechocracy very much and think it is classic Dwarf, I really think Skipper should have been shown instead of it as for me it is the very finest of series 12 and it serves as the 30th anniversary party piece. Maybe Dave felt though that because it was shown as the final episode last year that perhaps another series 12 one should be there in its place. But still as much as I really appreciate Mechocracy, imagine how even more sensational last Thursday on Dave could have been with Skipper as first or last shown as the birthday celebration episode?