RDXII EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

It’s up!

2. Liam W

Liam W Skutter

I can't see it...?

3. Today's Fish...

Today's Fish... Third Technician

Yep, it's up, I went to UK Play, Channels, Dave...

4. Liam W

Liam W Skutter

There it is... that was worrying for a second.

The Cat and Today's Fish... like this.
  5. Today's Fish...

Today's Fish... Third Technician

Man, I love Red Dwarf... That.....was ace.

UltraDevotee and The Cat like this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Great. I'll be giving it a watch in a while.

7. reaktor24

reaktor24 Third Technician

That was easily the best episode of the series. Hilariously funny. I just wish they'd have used some computer trickery to get rid of Holly's wrinkles.

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I suspect that episode will divide the fans. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's up there with the last two episodes. I thought it was funniest before the actual skipping began. Last series was accused of having too many callbacks, and plots reminiscent of previous episodes. This series has made many blatant callbacks to the past, and this episode especially. For the most part they've been well received. But to me, this episode wallowed too deeply in Red Dwarf's past. There were funny moments, but I'd rather have seen series XII go out with something that felt more fresh. And the rat was ridiculous. Nice idea, daft costume.

The Cat likes this.
  9. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

It was very funny in places, some real laugh out loud moments, particularly the 'alive' gag.

Would've liked to see more of the returnees, a little underused imo.

But overall a nice end to the series, with a very dwarf feel, reminded me of stasis leak, had a very series I vibe to me, with the white hole style time jokes bringing in a pinch of Iv

Will revise after a rewatc h but the series ranking is currently

1. M-corp
    2. Skipper
    3. Mechocracy
    4. Cured
    5. Siliconia
    6. Time wave

Series 12 is the strongest of the Dave era over all for me.

The Cat likes this.
  10. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Loved the rat, reminded me of the 'mermaid' from better than life in terms of silliness.

The Cat likes this.
  11. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I liked it. But it didn't quite surpass Mechocracy or M-Corp like I'd hoped it might.

12. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

It was... okay. The first half was interesting, then it just kinda wandered aimlessly for the second half. I felt like I was watching a sketch show. And the guest characters felt very underused.

Mostly fan service with little plot, that stayed a little too rooted in Red Dwarf's past for my liking. But an alright episode nonetheless.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Overall I think series XII has proved better than series XI, particularly the latter half. I feel the Dave-era of Red Dwarf is a real, solid piece of work now, not just a revival of someone else's show, but a real continuation.

14. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

I liked that they recreated the original sleeping quarters, and it looked good with Earth out the window. Was nice seeing holly &
    hollister
    , although a shame that for holly its obviously only temporary. Would have liked to have seen Hattie.

Was expecting there to be some kind of reference to Ace Rimmer at some point, as that is the version of him that turned out to be successful.. seems like a glaring omission.

I did like the episode, although Mechocracy is still my favourite this season.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  15. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

That was absolutely brilliant, and the best of series XII for me. Very very funny, and the return of.... you know who.... did not dissapoint!
    Great to end the series with such a strong episode.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  16. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Very much enjoyed that. But does seem like holly was a one off....and faar to brief! :-(

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  17. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

First thoughts...

First up the reading of the captains reports was a bit too much like when Rimmer read the captain's files about himself and lister (I think it was future Echoes?)

The bit where Cat keeps ending up doing what lister wants him too was brilliant, had me in stitches.

Going back to Red Dwarf before the accident was kind of a nice touch though I just feel that with so many call backs this series it's overall been overkill. There shouldn't be a nod back to the past in pretty much every episode. Again Doug rewrote a bit of dialogue from a classic episode. So we've had the "no teacakes, potato cakes etc" bit paraphrased, the opening of the first episode copied and now the "Everybody's dead" scene paraphrased/lampooned. All together it's just too much.... Also don't get why he's still a hologram in one universe and human in another? That also means he's travelling in time too.

The way the accident suddenly happened was funny though I'm annoyed now that this probably doesn't mean Norman returning for good.

The other universes were pretty funny, not sure why rat still looked like a rat when Cat and Dog were humanoid, but whatever.

Really like the fact that Lister was captain at the end but again I don't get why Rimmer was human. He shouldn't actually change, he shouldn't even change clothes. He's gone back in time as well and I assume he replaces whatever Rimmer is in the universe, where that Rimmer goes is anyone's guess.

Anyone notice they used an original RD model shot? Liked the original bunk room set, though Rimmer was never from Earth so he probably doesn't care about being back there.

Overall pretty funny and I liked the callbacks to old episodes but having seen it so many times already this series what could have been amazing had been watered down.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  18. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

That was great fun, and a fitting closure to the series. I think I slightly preferred it to mechocracy, but it's difficult to tell after just one watch. Great to see holly, and he had some really cool lines too. The rat could have been annoying, but the accent was spot on to make it funny.
    7.5 cured
    5.5 Siliconia
    5.5 timewave
    8.5 mechocracy
    7.5 m-Corp
    8.5 skipper

UltraDevotee likes this.
  19. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

He doesn't neccessarily have to have gone back in time, it might just be that all the universes we saw him skip into are running three million years later than the one he came from! Maybe the original big-bang got delayed in all of those ones!

And I think, though they don't explain it, that he sort of... leaps into the other versions of himself... you know, like in Quantum Leap. Hence why he's sometimes dead, sometimes alive and always wearing different clothes. Bit rude of him really.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed it, its probably the episode i have most enjoyed out of both 11 and 12.

Negatives would be the Hollys nobody is dead Arnold joke which turned a joke into a another joke and not a good one at that.

Hollister didn't seem like his series 1 self but more Dougs series 8 version sadly.

AJ Smegface likes this.