RDXII EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

But the different universes break off according to his choices so I figure it has to be Rimmer's that were born at the same time as himself. Also if he's jumped into his other self that would explain why he's got the big H on his head, but shouldn't he be alive? Unless he died in another way already

2. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

An episode called Skipper with no Ace. That's a let down in itself.

The Cat and RainbowGazelle like this.
  3. Today's Fish...

Today's Fish... Third Technician

I'd argue an episode called Skipper with no Ace is actually a refreshing change, especially when so many people complain about callbacks.

DAN_JMC likes this.
  4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Coffee and biscuits, well that was just soooo funny. I really feel this final episode of RDXII could have benefited from being extended to 45 minutes.
    Earlier today reading that a second 'old friend' would make an appearance I sorta guessed it might be Hollister but had hoped it would be someone else, his part worked but was pretty weak. Holly should have had more to do but this is part of why I think this ep should have had the 45+ mins.

Fingers crossed now for another series :-)

5. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

You're kidding, I loved the 'everybody's alive' joke!!!!

UltraDevotee and johnjdc like this.
  6. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I don't think its JUST his choices is it? I mean in one of them Lister had fixed the broken drive-plate. I think he was skipping about an endless multi-verse of endless possibiliies throughout history - and locking on to which ever Rimmer existed in it.

Today's Fish... likes this.
  7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Yes, I loved that as well, perfect joke. Hollister on the other hand was pointless.

8. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

The episode was full of callbacks though. Calling an episode Skipper and not including Ace is just gonna dissapoint fans.

I don't understand why no Ace, I mean, there isn't even much of a budget for him seeing as it's Chris Barrie...

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Hollister was basically a continuation of Series 8

10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I just figured he had chosen something else, like maybe worn different socks the day he signed up for Red Dwarf but then there would be loads of universe where Lister had also done something differently as well. You may be right but the only reason I think it can't be every multiverse is that there must be billions where he and red dwarf don't exist, so I assumed it's an offshoot of his own life

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

My only disappointment of the episode really. I wanted Series I Hollister. Not Dennis the donut boy.

12. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

It was a fairly good episode, but I don't think it was the best of XII. That goes to M-Corp for me.

Overall, the second half of XII was much stronger than the first half overall.

My order, which is subject to change as it always does:
    1 - M-Corp
    2 - Skipper
    3 - Mechocracy
    4 - Siliconia
    5 - Cured
    6 - Timewave

The dimension skipper recharging was inconsistent, it recharged straight away in some dimensions, but took far longer in others to conveniently suit the storytelling. Not that I have a problem with that, just sayin'.

The whole concept has been done in a famous Family Guy episode (obviously that itself parodies things too) but yeah, again, that was on my mind too.

Still though, no Ace, and considering the episode title, that's disappointing.

A fun episode, but the novelty doesn't automatically make it the best. Pretty good though.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As usual, I'll write up a proper review later. Right now, I'll just say that despite a few misgivings I really liked that.

14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I'd hyped this up too much in my head, and it didn't live up to it. It was alright. Could pick holes in the skipping rules. Why was Rimmer still a hologram in that dimension? If the accident hadn't happened then he should have been a human. If his clothes changed back to Series I, does that mean he was softlight? Was he beaming into the bodies of other Rimmers like in Quantum Leap?

I didn't like Rat. The costume was all wrong, it was just a giant rat instead of a rat-person. And if the rest of the giant rats never left, then why was the crew friends with one of them in particular?

I'm sure they've already read the captain's crew report in an earlier episode.

Why did the captain's crew report say all Rimmer's brothers were high-flyers in the Space Corps when we know from Trojan that Howard was a vending machine repair man?

Typical explanation for the gizmo-of-the-week, "we got it from that derelict".

That scene where they're dressed in cloaks sacrificing Rimmer was used as a publicity still, but it was nothing at all.

It was cool. A nice tour through Red Dwarf's past for the first bit, then it just meandered into funny skits. I wish we'd stayed in the multiple-Lister dimension! That was funny. I wonder if that was Officer Rimmer, where Lister did it instead.

In the end we're back at square one with no Holly, Kochanski or anyone else. And Rimmer's trod on the skipper to prevent its future use. Seems a wasted opportunity for some gritty plot or character development. Holly's cameo especially. I guess Doug doesn't want him back permanently for whatever reason. Holly would have been in some of those other dimensions too.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    RainbowGazelle and Liam W like this.
  15. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

Haha just watched it, big grin on face and made my day. I don't mind the callbacks. Especially as next year is the anniversary. 88 wow seems so long ago.

This episode was a hoot :-) so much so that I watched it twice in succession . On the second viewing I realised how tight it was and how it fair zipped along.
    Wish Holly could become a regular again.

I did have a neat thought. We saw Rimmer jump on the Skipper , that might not necessarily destroy all the chips. What if Holly had stowed away in one if them just before the explosion? Then Kryton could be repairing the Skipper in a future ep and find him.

I also loved the thought of the multiple Listers, and there was one playing guitar. I would have loved it if they'd have had a band of listers playing guitar drums bass keys all very badly and making an awful din. Anyone remember Bad News , you get my drift. ;-)

UltraDevotee likes this.
  16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It was funny and I enjoyed it, but nowhere as much as I had with the pervious 2. I found the episode got less funny when Rimmer actually started dimention jumping, the montage being the low point of the episode IMO. Still the throwbacks were kinda cute this time around, I just wished I liked this episode as much as I was hoping to.....still an easy 7/10.

17. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Ok it wasn't a bad episode, I guess like afew others it was built up to be better than it was. I like the Holly bits, he played it straight like how he used to, not how he did in Series VIII where he was almost laughing at his own jokes.
    First scene was a miss for me but it was funny in places. It did seem like a missed opportunity though.

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I don't understand why Ace Rimmer would be seen as an undesireable "callback". Ace Rimmer is a character in Red Dwarf. He's still out there somewhere as far as we know. Don't people want to know what happened to him?

19. Today's Fish...

Today's Fish... Third Technician

It's not undesirable at all, I love Ace.

Perhaps "refreshing" is the wrong word.

Since I saw the episode title however long ago I've assumed this was an episode all about Ace and I'm sure I'm not alone there. With all the other callbacks in XII, and some of the reactions to them, maybe this is Doug's dark humour shining through. "This will drive them nuts!" ;-)

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think the big issue with this episode is that the first half of the episode felt like it had a more cohesive idea with them jumping about doing everything in opposites...it also benefitted from jokes that centred around the situation, which was also a strong point to last week's episode. However I think things all get kinda average around the time Rimmer starts dimention skipping. I feel a few episodes lately have been accused of being more of a Red Dwarf sketch show, but never has that been more the case then the second half of this episode.

Don't get me wrong, there are some funny moments but really not all that cleverly done, the first jump to a point where the crew was just about to die was clearly the best, the Rat was was kinda funny if somewhat broad.......then it all leads to a weak skipping montage that fails to muster a single laugh and ending on a limp note where Rimmer is an officer but can't accept out ranking him, and so he just returns home. Which all seemed like a very nothingy way to end an episode.

I don't wanna be so down on this episode, but given all the build up to it.......I really expected better. I think it's a "good" episode, but given that this might be the last episode we ever get it should have been a "great" episode! I mean I even it doesn't honestly match many of the better Dave era episodes for me. Some of the back references were charming, but in terms of writing it falls way short of the past 2 week for me.