RDXII EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I can't believe how harsh you guys in this forum are, you should be movie critics...

Ant E likes this.
  2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I don't hate his episode, I like it even.......but I wanted to LOVE it! If this episode weren't so built up and not the final episode ever, we might have been more fair on it. Thing is that this episode more then any other needed to be far most substantial then it was......it was a fast food Red Dwarf episode rather then 5 star restaurant meal Red Dwarf!

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

We talk about how Holly's role was usurped by Kryten. Skipper made me realise I'd rather have Holly. That deadpan, bored, senile face on a computer is funnier for me. Kryten/Robert hams it up too much. Silly walks, endless jokes about cleaning, suspicious "best guesses" and encyclopaedic knowledge of everything, inexplicably getting fatter. At least Holly is supposed to know things. I wish Kryten was less omniscient, he's a cleaning-bot.

"When is this? Where am I? - It's Monday, and you're in a corridor", will go down as a poignant metaphor for everyone with a 9-5. Bring back Holly!

4. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Who says it's the last? Doug us writing series 13 now. The cast basically quit their day jobs to make as much dwarf while they can.Dave won't want to stop their highest rates show...... it'll be back trust me. My guess back to what it was like in the early days ..... a new swries every year or two for a while

5. Slainmonkey

I never said it WAS the last, but it might be. We have no guarantee that it'll be picked back up for more, I hope there will be, but there's hardly anything set in stone.

6. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

This universe is big enough for both! I absolutely love Kryten and the way Robert plays him, yes he does ham it up sometimes but it's just Robert enjoying the role I think. I do think Kryten needs knocking down a peg or two sometimes though, Rimmer should be harsher with him! Would love to see Holly back permanently but a small part of me is wondering if the successful formula of the last few series should be messed with.

7. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

honestly that was my favourite XII episode

UltraDevotee likes this.
  8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Zzzzzzz

9. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Nit-pick buster mode engaged!

He'd just died in a different way in that dimension and because he was a high ranking officer there he was ship hologram.

Possibly, possibly not. But the multiverse aspect of the plot covers a multitude of sins - hardlight could be standard there for all we know.

Why shouldn't the rats have evolved that way?

He was the nicest? :lol:

Yes. In series 1 wasn't it?

Pfffft... Captain Hollister hadn't done any actual research into it. He'd just heard they were all supposed to be high-flyers (as indeed Rimmer did) and blindly went with it. Captain Hollister himself, lest we forget, isn't actually really a captain himself.

Did feel a wasted opportunity to not touch on Ace Rimmer. He had that technology and had obviously returned to Red Dwarf in his ship at some point between 8 and BTE. Kryten could have been working on that and it would have been much more satisfying.

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Deep space is the forum bore.

11. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

It's been an odd series. For some reason each episode has been split into halves, a really funny half and a not so funny half. Last nights first half was hilarious, but the second half was a bizarre, Red Dwarf sketch show parody. The week before, M-Corp, really funny first half, not so funny second half. Mechocracy, not so funny first half, hilarious second half. And so on. It's an odd approach they've adopted. Not sure why they can't keep it consistent all the way through an episode.

12. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

HEY! I'm the one who tries to fix all the nitpicks with lengthy overthought fan-w*nk explanations! If anyone is the forum bore its ME!! And don't you forget it. :sulk:

13. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I think a few people me included were looking forward to the references to earlier series, a few in jokes - but now there is is genuine worry about them because we are now at the end of a third good series in a row (in my opinion comparable to I-VI) and and people are hoping that the back references weren't like a farewell tour!

Skipper was a good episode, watched with a smile all the way through and some really good full on laughs; Holly's appearance was really good I thought, one really good Holly joke and the echo of The End was great - I am sure that joke in episode one was what got the whole show commissioned (although...I wonder how that actually looked on paper?)

For me, I liked every single episode, contrary to nearly everyone else I would rate Mechochracy the lowest, but not by much, the whole series was 7.5-8.5 rated on a scale of 10 being my favourite episode. Good balance of laughs between the characters, all the cast on top form and some very good guests - I genuinely think that Doug has threaded the needle with XI and XII (and X) by creating something that the fans will enjoy, but more than enough for new (and casual) viewers.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  14. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

No no no. We DO forget that. As I said earlier though I really wish Mac’s part had been written differently. More like the classic Hollister than Dennis the Doughnut Boy. Then again we do see him dressed in a full chicken outfit in stasis leak...

Mechocracy has one of the best gags in the entire series in its first half! Kryten masterfully manipulating Rimmer into mopping? Genius.

15. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Finally! Such a long wait to see this episode on screen. It was so much fun at the recording, particularly the rat scene - I think I was practically crying with laughter at that, particularly as DJJ had to go through it several times (those 'hell, yeahs!' got funnier with every take, particularly at the end when he had to record the lines again and we weren't allowed to laugh). Think he got a bit hot in that suit though!

I did have a small fear that this episode might come across a bit series VIII in parts - I was mainly thinking about the Captain Hollister bit, but also because it was a very lively audience (great to be a part of, but perhaps a little annoying within the episode). I remember loving the recreated Captain's office/sleeping quarters and seeing Earth outside the window - I thought that was rather poignant, and was hoping that they'd use the piano music cue from the first teaser for that part. I'm a bit disappointed that music wasn't used at all in the series actually.

Overall, I think it's a good episode but probably don't rate it quite as highly as I did coming out of the recording. At the time, I particularly enjoyed all the callbacks, thinking that they would only be restricted to this episode - in the light of so many earlier callbacks, I enjoyed them less this time round. Oh well. I think M-Corp probably remains my favourite of the series, but I'll always love Skipper for sentimental reasons :-)

Chris D likes this.
  16. Slainmonkey

I will say that this episode was far more of a love letter to long running fans then BTE ever was, I honestly just wished I liked this episode more then I did, and the second half of the episode amounted to being more then a glorified sketch show.....even if there were some funny bits.

17. mtullock

my bad misunderstood your original point :-)

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think I actually preferred the 2nd half of the episode more then the first because something was actually going on in the 2nd half.

The first half had some funny bits but then we still got the part where Kryten had to explain where the concept came from and who was gonna use it and then a farewell scene so there was a lot of set up.

19. mtullock

Now they have the old set built I hope they keep it and use it again. I keep wishing they decide to go find hollys lost boot disk which takes them on a character driven story line of searching the old quarters and science rooms. Not a nostalgia trip but we could finally see why they vacated each one (i.e. the original is dirty beyoind habitation, the officers quarters was water damaged beyond repair due to the bath which wiped holly etc...) that way they could have a reason ro reboot the now dry holly and have a natural nod to days gone by.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Did you see how useful holly was in series 8?