RDXII EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Seems like over kill.

Some things (especially nostalgia) should be used minimal and will be more appreciated for it.

You don't really need a reason why the sleeping quarters kept changing otherwise you might as well try and explain every change that's happened in the show like reference all the different starbug interiors or why rimmer changed outfits ect ect

Paul Taylor likes this.
  2. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Kind of agree. This is the first episode of this series that left me disappointed. Which is the first time a Rimmer episode left me like that.
    I think it was build up too much and a few things like the Lister and the stripper thing were bad judgement in my eyes.

3. DivineVarod

In the middle of the jumping they could have had him ending up in his Ace gear mid Wildfire flight, have him say something like "Oh not this again!!" and jump on ...

4. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I agree that the captain was more a presence when he wasn't a doughy buffoon... But to me 'Dennis' IS the definitive Hollister - he was a regular cast member for an entire series, the other version only popped up... what? three times? one of which was a flashback.

UltraDevotee and Paul Taylor like this.
  5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I've always thought of the original series Hollister as a snapshot, while we get to meet the real man in series VIII. And that real man is someone who would take a four man escape pod when the ship's in danger. I don't see them as somehow different.

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

One thing I just thought of..

Call me stupid but I didn't really get the Kebab blu taked to the screen to make Rimmer look like Freddie Mercury joke?

7. DivineVarod

Can't think beyond the fact young Chris with moustache looked slightly like him? Otherwise :-S

[​IMG]

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think like it or not, Dennis the Doughnut Boy is the most established version of Hollister, and as much of a slimy coward he was here.....he never did anything that made me cringe like in series 8, so eh....I'll take it.

9. Matthew Polson

Matthew Polson Third Technician

Just finished watching the episode and WOW, what a episode that was!! I don't know where to start!! the return of Holly and Captain Hollister, 'Rat' and when Rimmer said 'You've got more chance of getting a vampire to eat garlic bread' and not forgetting 'Everybodys alive' XD. What a great episode to end this series!!

UltraDevotee, AJ Smegface and Ant E like this.
  10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

now you mention it hahaha

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed this episode very much with one caveat: The studio audience of what appears to be 99% hardcore Red Dwarf fans is now becoming a serious distraction.

Yes I know this was one big fanservice, but stuff like the standing ovation applause for returning faces and fireworks style "aww" for the return of the bunkroom is beginning to grate. It takes you out of the show in a way regular laughter doesn't and makes me feel like I'm watching some improv panto or attending a fan convention where DJJ sang Tongue tied for the 900th time. That's not how I want to feel as a viewer. I'm not trying to kill anyone's fun (honest) but have a listen to the reaction the almost CITV-style line about vampire bats and garlic bread gets. This isn't killer comedy it's ordinary A+B=joke stuff and hearing howls of laughter is getting a little ridiculous at this point.

Right, back to the positive stuff. Although I was eager to get to the dimension skipping stuff I feel I wouldn't have been if I hadn't known the premise and this was another episode with enough ideas for two. The concept of "do the wrong thing" could have sustained an episode alone for me and it makes me sad that Doug often has several brilliant ideas happening in one episode only to then labour us with some old man social commentary like Timewave. unlike a lot of people I loved the surreal horror of the rat: (deliberately) ridiculous outfit and all. it reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Homer thinks he found a normal reality only to find something horribly creepy like all the characters have proboscis when they eat. Great performance from DJJ and I don't get the costume hate. It's obviously fake looking, like the cheese as this adds to the surreal horror.
    Loved the Lister/Cat stuff although less so the Rimmer stuff from part 1. Part 2 was a tour de Rimmer though and there was something almost poignant about seeing Earth outside the window. Ending was good and overall this was a nice throwback show with a one off special feel. I can see why it went out last (as with Futurama's many endings it makes a nice "just in case") but I hope for more Dwarf to come and, please Doug, I know you seem against the idea but what episodes like BTE, The Beginning and the novel Last Human show is that you do have an ending in you for the show and it can be cathartic, thrilling and much more satisfying for a thirty year journey than simply riding off into the sunset in a continuance of the status quo. Until then, keep them Futurama style "endings" coming.

UltraDevotee and AJ Smegface like this.
  12. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

This has been my main problem since the show returned with live audiences in X. I felt they ruined a few bits in that series. It hasn't seemed as bad to me in XI and XII (for the most part), but it was seriously noticeable in Skipper. I really wish they would edit more of it out.

AJ Smegface likes this.
  13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think alot of the time the fan service is thrown in just for the audience response

14. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I'm glad that Ace wasn't in the episode. I've never been too much of a fan of him so the fact that he didn't turn up was a plus for me!
    Regarding Holly, I'd love to see Norman return for another series but whether it would work with Kryten and Holly is another question. Holly worked best in series I and II when it was just him with all the supposed information. When Kryten took over he became the go to guy for any info, and Holly started to slowly disappear. If push came to shove I wouldn't want Kryten to go now that he is so cemented in to the show so much, and Robert does a brilliant job. But I do miss those old sets, and Holly's dumb answers.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

In Series 1 and 2 he seemed more like a believable captain whenever he appeared... while series 8 he become abit of a fat joke (pun intended).

This cameo i suppose was basically hey remember series 8? because him unconvincingly talking about how he was going to go down with the ship but accidentally fell into the escape pod made him look pathetic and mac hammed it up just as much to that that affect.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Hollister cameo was dreadful. (Not helped by the nauseating panto audience reaction.)

Nobody likes Dennis the Doughnut boy, Doug.

Chloe as Mrs Rimmer would have been better time and money spent.

17. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Something really weird just happened - I'd written a post but then decided not to post it, but the next thing I knew I'd posted it!!! :-S

Anyway, deleted now. I agree about not getting the kebab joke (is kebab meat particularly moustache-like?). I usually dislike contemporary references, but did enjoy the Michael Jackson lines (literally two days before the recording I was talking about how it was still OK and to like MJ in 1992, and suddenly not OK in 1993. I did a massive laugh when that came up!).

Also, the 'double denim and Crocs' line stuck in my head, and it was funny to see both of these being feted by the so-called fashion world over the summer (probably not worn together though).

On an unrelated note, did anyone else think Cat was singing the Red Dwarf theme during the breakfast-making scene?

Also, since this took me so long to rewrite and others have posted in the meantime - yes, I agree that the audience reaction is particularly distracting in this episode. I'd been a bit worried about that. Truth is, the atmosphere was almost verging on giddy at times (the 'end-of-term' feeling that Doug has mentioned) and it was infectious. Maybe not best for the TV viewing experience though...

AJ Smegface and DAN_JMC like this.
  18. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

I do. Series VIII nostalgia is present for me though. 1999 was a year where I had no worries in life. Before the days where my life got all dark!

19. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

It's interesting isn't it? I went to see an episode of Upstart Crow being recorded and at one stage we all applauded at a particular gag... Ben Elton came out and (politely) told us off, requesting that we refrain from cheers, woops, clapping and all that american stuff please! I'm kind of with him.

AJ Smegface and RainbowGazelle like this.
  20. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Well I can say that I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as I hoped it was going to be, but it was a real treat for fans who have been around since the 80s. I am usually the first to complain about red dwarf since series 6 finished; it went down the pan big time in my opinion. 7,8 and bte were terrible. X and XI were a vast improvement, but this season has stepped it up. They have got out on series 4, 5 style capers and payed tribute to series 1 and 2. I loved seeing Rimmer in his old gear and the 'in' jokes. There was a place for it. I only wish it could of gone on over 2 episodes. I would of loved it to have tied in with a series one or 2 episode. I agree that there should of been reference to previous dimension jumps such as the Holly hop drive? Maybe he could of ended up in the female reality again? Would of been better than the rat lol. A quick reference to Ace? They could of pushed the boat out more.

UltraDevotee likes this.