Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

excuses excuses..........

2. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

That's a common trend with TV shows...it's pretty normal.

3. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think that, personally, the way this episode played out was to set-up some kind of forward development for any series 11. This series seemed to be a lot about pleasing the fans (or TRYING to, before you butt in, simmy) and was under pressure to be good whereas series 11 would have more room to just 'be'. Plus, as someone mentioned already, it could reflect character development for Rimmer.

4. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Funny how someone acting like a hardcore Dwarf fan wasn't already aware of that little detail... :P

5. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

condemned before even being made?

6. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I was aware? And that's why I don't agree with the re-casting

7. starlight84uk

starlight84uk Third Technician

Best ep of series X. 10/10 for me. Each character was well written, story and plot spot on and jokes flowed naturally. Doug saved the best for last. Roll on series XI!!!!!

8. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I'd more than love a Series 11 if they either get Rob Grant back, which is very unlikely, or get another top quality comedy writer

9. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Doug had a perfect excuse to explain about the ship changing though, because red dwarf had been recreated. Now what could be the explaination? Think about how they could explain kryten looking different each series, rimmer's uniforms changing all the time and the fact they keep changing quarters and the inside of red dwarf looks hugely different. What about the inside of startbug changing a lot from series 3 to series 6 and beyond? And blue midget changing? I've just accepted these things now.

Likewise I just accept there's a rimmer and it doesn't matter which one. Red Dwarf has always rewritten things like with the books so i look at this in the same way.

10. MacabreMagpie

But I don't think that 're-casting' is the correct term to use. It's like the 'canned laughter' issue. He wasn't re-cast - the original actor died and they wanted to use the character again.

I think comparing Heath Ledger's Joker to Rimmer's dad in terms of a characters legacy might be stretching it a bit...

Besides, they re-cast Holly.

11. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

You're probably absolutely right with that analogy. :-) If Doug follows through with the story presented here of Rimmer discovering his "father" wasn't really his father, then that definitely will change the character of Rimmer. Whether that will work, I dunno, as we've all loved to hate him for so long. lol But I really liked the change in Rimmer after the discovery, so maybe it could work... I dunno!

12. On4r4p

On4r4p Skutter

[​IMG]
    OOOOhhhhh Yeahhh I remember Now !!!
    Excellent , Brillant ! im going to watch it right away !

13. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Interesting how in the context of that end quote Red Dwarf is now home, and not Fiji (Earth).

Does that mean a slight switch in the show's theme, is getting back to Earth no longer going to be pursued at all?

14. Rewcastle

Isn't it ironic that instead of Naylor trying to please the fans and just letting the show "be", would ultimately, in fact, please the fans. :lol: It is a hard vicious wave Naylor needs to ride. He needs to stop pandering.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

So you think there's... never going to be a live-action version of the Joker again?

Um. You may be disappointed.

Maybe they should have left Dumbledore out of the second Potter film onwards. Maybe the new Superman film shouldn't have Superman in it (in fact, they shouldn't have made the Christopher Reeve films after the deaths of George Reeves and Kirk Alyn).

16. ben996

ben996 First Technician

But Holly was given a reason, as was Kochanski (alternate universe she looked different), where as the dad didn't

Plus I thought the opening scene was unfunny and the reveal that he wasn't his father was poor, so I don't agree with bringing his dad back haha, just my 2 cents though

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Well I judge it on what I have just experienced over the past 6 weeks. 1 good episode followed by 4 terrible ones then one OK episode to end the series. . .doesn't inspire me for any change in quality for the next series :roll:

18. MacabreMagpie

Holly was given a reason because he changed sex.

The Kochanski reason you mentioned makes zero sense because we also saw Lister, Kryten and The Cat and they all looked the same as our versions....

Grasping at straws, much?

19. Rewcastle

I think that is stretching it a little far - an interesting analogy none the less :-)

20. ben996

ben996 First Technician

The difference is, Dumbledore is essential to the story, the new Superman films are a reboot and a new continuity, where as a couple of scenes with his father could have been left out personally.

But if they do re-cast Joker which they will, it will be in a new series of Batman films not connected the 3 that Nolan did