Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I love stunt casting, especially when it's done well.

Getting Super Mario in for a minor role of 'annoying metal dude' was a stroke of genius :lol:

2. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think if Red Dwarf ended for good at this point I'd be happy with that ending.

3. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

The opening scene was unfunny, I agree, and was the worst part of the episode for me without doubt. I actually liked the reveal that he wasn't Rimmer's real father. Rimmer's reaction to that, whilst being a contradictory if you compare with with the "Observation Deck" scene from "Better Than Life", it actually ties in better with Rimmer's goity character!

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Why do people care about this stuff?!? Doug obviously don't!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

5. MacabreMagpie

Well, I guess it's open to interpretation, but I really didn't see it that way.

6. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

Did anyone ever think, perhaps, the corrosive microbe wasn't in fact referring to series 8 at all? Maybe it is another Dwarf adventure we missed out on?

7. simulant37

Who cares!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
    Would it have made any of the events in this series funnier if we had an answer?!? :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

How dare they recaset a minor character!

I actually thought he looked enough like the original guy anyway. But there's all sorts of explainations as to why he wasn't the same.

Rimmer creates him from memory in BTL, his memory could be wrong or even since he is a hologram, his memory could be corrupted.

This could be a red dwarf crew from a different universe. Explains why the ship is different.

Rimmer's dad could have had drastic facial surgery after rimmer left school and then he looked like the rimmer's dad from Better Than Life.

9. MacabreMagpie

To elaborate on the Rimmer issue - them explaining precisely ZERO of what happened to series 8 Rimmer was necessary to the joke. So I don't take that as saying that this is a combination of both Rimmers... I honestly feel that they very clearly told us that it's the original Rimmer and it was open for us to decide how he came back and saved them. They've not explicitly told us how the ressurrected crew died (if they even did) and the series 8 Rimmer was a part of that crew.

Given that Doug has openly said that this episode would tell us which Rimmer it is, and Rimmer told us he died in the radiation leak, making theories about how it might be the series 8 Rimmer are pointless because we have been told that it's not, surely?

10. simulant37

2 cliffhangers to resolve now?!? :lol:

11. MacabreMagpie

Well if he turned up and saved them from it then obviously he'd know about it, wouldn't he! Just because he knows that a corrosive microbe was on Red Dwarf, that doesn't mean he was there when it arrived.

12. On4r4p

On4r4p Skutter

No it was a direct reference to only the good .
    Take a look at this interview of Doug .

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Seriously though, fantastic episode to finish on. The storyline gets top marks. The humour gets top marks. And all throughout the series the acting has been incredibly good stuff from all four.
    A great episode which i give a 9/10, strongest of the series.
    And a fantastic overall series.

Can't wait for more.

Mooooooore!
    Encore! Moooooore!

14. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

There was an explanation of the Series VIII cliffhanger somewhere. It was already filmed, and may have been a DVD extra somewhere down the line. In any case it's on Youtube if you're interested.

What I liked about today's explanation (or lack thereof) is that it doesn't contradict that existing ending.

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I'll go with that :lol:

16. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Someone wanted a close up of Rimmer's battleplan timetable

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/11/08/red-dwarf-x-10-6-the-beginning-review/

Pretty good article as well :-)

17. simulant37

I'll go with it was just a different actor because the original one was dead. . .not really sure why its such an issue for some:roll:

18. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Well... What can I say. I was waiting for this one to be a huge finale, and I can say this episode was great, BUT once again the special guests were the weak point. :-( smegging poor ending.

19. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Or maybe it was just Lister winding him up!

20. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I was pretty scathing about the two episodes that preceded this one, especially "Dear Dave". But the series thankfully, for me at at least, ended as it started: On a high note! :-)