Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Thinking about Kryten suddenly becoming the most undeserved character (after years of him being right up there with Lister as being the most Served...)

I wonder if he was deliberately not given as many lines so Holly could be around to do the exposition and stuff, leaving Kryten with just his "neat freak" obsessive-compulsion and his mechanoid nature for avenues of comedy?

When Holly ended up not being a part of the series, his lines were then distributed through the rest of the cast evenly, making Kryten seem even more extronious than usual

2. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

And Hoagie's gun?

I guess either Doug or his Sun has been playing a lot of Halo then!

3. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Well I didn't think it was very funny.

I was disappointed Hollister didn't show up (talk about a missed opportunity).

I thought the new Hoagie character was repetitious and tedious.

The simulants weren't menacing, at all.

There was the usual over-acting from Chris Barrie and Craig Charles (though Barrie got better as the episode progressed).

Rimmer's statement about being a working-class hero, on the basis that he had one working-class parent, seems to suggest that class is a hereditary/genetic thing rather than a question of the culture one is brought up in. I find that rather ridiculous.

I might have to watch it again, but I don't understand how one of the four missiles passed its target and went on to destroy the mothership. And doesn't that mean one of the targets should still be undamaged? And how can one missile destroy such a large ship? And wasn't it very convenient that the mothership just happened to be on the missile's trajectory?

Finally, there was the usual lack of substance, which for me has become the defining feature of Doug Naylor's solo work on Red Dwarf, especially RDX.

I'd say The Beginning - which title seems irrelevant to the episode, except possibly with regard to Rimmer - was the best out of a very bad bunch of episodes.

4. snodgrass

snodgrass Third Technician

D'yers reckon the map they got off Hoagie will provide a useful story arc device for series XI:? ?

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

But it's not the end, it's The Beginning.

6. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Blue Midget was surrounded by four targets, one of which was the Deathship/mothership. Seeing as the missiles came at Blue Midget from all four different directions, it has to be assumed that the Deathship itself fired at Blue Midget. With this being the case, it's only obvious that the Deathship would be on the missile's trajectory. As for how one missile could destroy such a large ship, well.. we'd have to assume the missile itself (called a "Photon Mutilator") was a very powerful one. The rogue simulant ship in "Gunmen Of The Apocalypse" was completely destroyed by far less efficient firepower, so I don't think it's anything especially out of the ordinary.

I don't agree with any of the other points you made (although some of the episodes in this series have been weak), but we all are entitled to our own opinions! :-)

7. bedfordfalls

For goodness sake, Lister was obviously making a joke! Rimmer even began to argue that those weren't his last words.

Do people need to take everything so literally? This is literally looking for flaws where there are none. I'm not having a go at you two specifically but I'm incredulous about how many people are complaining about this obvious joke!

8. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Perhaps because it wasn't so obvious to me? At least not on the inital viewing... and I have had a pretty hectic day. :P All of my subsequent posts about that joke were complimentary of it, and I did like it much better the 2nd time I viewed it. And I have been glowing in my appraisal of this episode as a whole! lol :-)

9. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Or gunS for that matter, They take his gun and after the credits he appears holding another one

10. tennanthyx

tennanthyx Skutter

I must say I know it was a joke, but extremely pissed about the ending. Series X has had some stellar episodes. I loved them infact I loved back to earth too, my only qualm is the continuity. I have been a loyal fan all my life. Would it have killed them to answer if this was Ace Rimmer, Nano Rimmer, All Rimmers In One...

It feels like were being made fun of because we care about the characters. Doug promised back in February wed learn which one? so 8 months of waiting just for what a joke!?!?!

None of this make youre own explanation stuff. We don't make the show.

I'm gonna go ahead and tell myself each season is a different version of Lister Rimmer Cat and Kryten.

11. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

while the most disappointing (in terms of what I expected from the episode) it was a great episode and a great series :-)

12. bedfordfalls

When you've come up with a cure for death, please do contact the casting department and let them know your genius solution! :roll:

13. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

Egads! Hollister was just awful in Series XIII, why on earth would anyone want to see him back?!

Anyway, like all episodes this series it was a bit of a mixed bag but overall I quite enjoyed it. Definitely one my favs from this series. I got some good laughs and I felt like the characterization was spot on.

As far as the Series XIII cliffhanger reference, I LOVED the fact it was brought up and then dismissed. And then the after credits scene of it seeming like Kryten is going to finally explain everything untill Hoagie interrupts. I laughed out loud and that is the important thing- Red Dwarf is a comedy show after all. Considering how many times it's contradicted itself, been full of holes or half-baked sci-fi ideas, it is completely in character for the show. It was a gentle tease, a wink, and a laugh which as I 20+ year Dwarfer, I really enjoyed.

14. bedfordfalls

I don't often agree with you my rolly-eyed friend but you're spot on.

I love the fact that Doug trolled all the serious continuity bores in his sci-fi COMEDY show (note that word "comedy", it's important). Maybe, like many fans Doug realises what a mistake series 8's direction was and his answer is to laugh it off with a joke.

As someone who personally would be only too happy for series 8 never to be mentioned again the resolution delighted me...especially as I can still omit series 8 from canon and just assume the crew had a different encounter with an entirely different chameleonic virus. :lol:

15. bedfordfalls

Wow, you really do miss points on a spectacular basis, don't you?

I could understand this being your initial reaction but...still not getting it after Lister's explanation...extraordinary!

Reznor will be along shortly to supply you with the required "LOL". 8)

16. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

And you still didn't think it was stupid? Yet you try yet again try and imply that I am stupid? Mr "Yes they mentioned race, they said Asian Food..." xD

They explained why rimmer hit his sex organs with a hammer in series 8, so I take it that hammering your happy sack isn't a stupid idea after injecting yourself with aesthetic...

I hope Simulant comes by to provide the required :roll:

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

doug this season has almost tried to open red dwarfs universe to be more populated with different lifeforms and simulants which takes away the lonely aspect i think, but then doug tries to add lonelyness to the storys by even making the gueststars lonely :shock:

18. bedfordfalls

Will it kill you to accept that the show is a comedy show and that Doug Naylor "resolved" it with a joke? Will it kill you to accept that the show you have been "loyal" to all your life has never given a stuff about continuity and has often poked fun at its fan base?

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well there are people that care about the characters and story and their journey

since when?

20. bedfordfalls

I've no idea what feeble analogy you're trying to even make with the above stuff about series 8 (how many of those pint cans have you had?) but congrats for trying to reignite the racism thing in a third successive topic. Obsessed much?

No I didn't think the idea that at some point during the nine year gap the crew met a deranged rogue droid who keeps showing up and challenging them to fights, when he is in fact no real threat was "dumb". I thought it was quite easy to understand and a funny concept. Sure it was initially confusing and a little worrying to see the reaction of Kryten and co seemingly being unconcerned, because it suggested that the show was going in a rather silly direction, but when it turned out to be classic misdirection it made for a very funny idea...and the possibility for a future recurring character.

Even had I not found the joke funny I certainly would have understood the intention, laid out very clearly as it was by Lister's dialogue and everyones "you again" type reactions (and another classic withered look from Kryten at the end).
    As it happens though I did find it funny, almost as funny as I found you not understanding something that's clearly signposted ...again. :lol: