Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I am so excited about this episode!!! Is it 9 O'Clock yet???

2. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

I am so excited about this episode!!! Is it 9 O'Clock yet???

I know how you feel,RD is the only programme I actually look forward to now so a week is a long wait!! Maybe a game of junior angler or soapsud slalom will help pass the time......

3. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

AWOOGA! AWOOGA! Interesting point about tonight's final episode...

@NathanCubitt: Watch The Beginning all the way to the end #RedDwarfX

?@sebpatrick: I was going to wait until later to mention to this, but as @NathanCubitt's said it: don't switch off when the credits start. #RedDwarfX

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Hmmm, what you reckon that's all about? Dave TV with an announcement to make mewonders? :shock:

5. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

I reckon it'll be more like - say, at the end of the episode, a baddie is shown to be dead, floating in space. Credits roll, and then the final end scene is showing the baddie being picked up by his ship, i.e. not dead after all.
    Or something along those lines; yanno, a situation reversal...
    Mind you, I would love it if it were the Dave announcer coming on to say there are three more series to come. Heh, after the hoo-ha and how Dave managed to make a right mess of the promo stuff, I doubt they'd leave such a huge potential announcement to the GUY WHO DOES THE VOICE OVERS...

6. Parrott71

Parrott71 Skutter

Maybe they will announce a Christmas special or that Red Dwarf will return next year. Or something completely different.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its probably not going to be an announcement about a new series as doug has said a series 11 depends on how many dvd sell so best not bank your hopes up thats its going to be that :lol:

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

It could only be one of two things I think. 1 - what I propose above, or 2 - some last scene (as Taranshula suggests). Has Dwarf ever done a scene after the credits? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. There again, who's to say they won't now? Having been there on the night, I can't think why there'd be an extra scene, it all seemed to wrap up neatly as you'd expect from an episode of RD.

9. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Far as I rememeber there was just "it's a garbage pod......it's a smegging garbage pod!" (not a scene I know) and an extended shot after marooned of starbug in the snow-although that one could be a dvd thing

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I was just wondering and hoping this myself. I don't want to have to wait years to see another episode.

11. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Seb, please edit the title to put a space between the 6 and the dash. My OCD riddled mind can't take it looking wrong!

Alas, I am actually quite excited for tonights episode. As I am going to be busy after work and won't get to have my tea at teatime, I think it's the perfect excuse to have a curry around 9pm with a few beers!

12. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm getting a distinct "Doctor Who" vibe from this. For those who don't know, the new incarnation of "Doctor Who" always has some kind of mini-trailer or at least a "The Doctor will be back..." card after the closing credits when a run concludes. I am going to assume we'll get "The Boys from the Dwarf will Return... XX/20XX", the first official confirmation a Series XI will be going into production.

Don't forget, Red Dwarf has been imitating "Doctor Who" already in Series X as each episode has been followed by a "Next Time" trailer, so I'm pretty much convinced that's exactly what's going to happen :P

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Can we ever discuss Red Dwarf without randomly dragging Doctor Who into it?

14. ShrunkenPixel

Of course, but there have been certain "modern tweaks" which both series have adopted. Given the pattern, I think we can safely guess what we'll be getting tonight. Whether another show's done it before doesn't matter, I think seeing some kind of confirmation that the saga will continue will be the best thing any of us can expect tonight and that's got to be a good thing :-)

The sort of "modern tweaks" I'm referring to are simply my way of describing the differences between how television was made and presented 20 years ago with how it is today. "Doctor Who" is a good example in this respect as, like Red Dwarf, it also disappeared from television for a lengthy period only to resurface with modern bells & whistles. "Next Time" trailers and "Will be back" messages are really effective, and "Doctor Who" has proved this. Of course there are probably dozens of TV shows that also do these sorts of things, but I don't know because I only religiously watch two specific television series :lol:

15. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Glad I saw that nugget about the end credits - thanks for posting! Will be sure to watch. :-)

Bittersweet day; I've enjoyed every episode of RDX thus far and I'm really looking forward to The Beginning. But it certainly makes me wish there was more - I've been spoiled with new RD every Thursday for the last six weeks.

Hopefully Series XI isn't far off!

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm such a Red Dwarf obsessive that I always watch right to the end of the credits anyway.

17. ShrunkenPixel

It's a universally known fact that a true Red Dwarf experience starts right at the beginning of the opening titles and doesn't end until the Grant Naylor logo right at the end of the credits. Who skips that iconic and catchy ending theme anyway?

Looks like tonight we'll all have to break tradition and stay tuned for a minute or two longer than usual :-)

18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Hw long til RDX counts as classic dwarf then? :P

19. ShrunkenPixel

Isn't it all 'classic'? Doug has done a brilliant job in capturing the look and feel - the essence - of what the show was in it's prime, and isn't a completely different beast to it's original incarnation. That's more than can be said for a certain other (often mentioned) TV series. We even have all the original cast (bar of course Holly at the present time), so what's the point in creating some kind of pointless divide when none is required?

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Never