Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Having a flashback scene with Ace rescuing them would have been awesome, thats all I wanted.:-(

2. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I hate to say it, but they're too old to do a flashback. That's why the scene needed to be explained in dialogue.

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Watch it all the way through, I didn't simply tack on that alternate ending, I made some big changes that actually explain everything (if you want to accept them as canon, which I will until they are officially addressed otherwise)

4. dodgebizkit

Its a shame they didn't also record that as an alternate end, as doug had wanted, as we could have all have accepted that ending :-D

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Well, do you at least agree that a 'new' copy of Rimmer would not have had the same immunity if the original never returned to Red Dwarf, given that they lost communication with Holly and thus his file wouldn't have been updated?

Of course, you could argue he came back, left, then the series 8 Rimmer died and became a hologram because there's no definitive answer in either case :-p

I',m happy to agree to disagree but it's also interesting to explore all possible reasoning.

6. The_Original_Cat

The_Original_Cat Third Technician

Having watched that for the 2nd time now I would give it a 9 or 10/10.

Absolutely brilliant.

There are one or two people here who think their opinions should batter those of others who enjoy what is happening.

I was a massive canon fan back in the day.

Now I am grateful we are getting new life into this program.

All this stuff about maybe I can poke holes in something that happened before is crap.

If you don't like it then don't watch.

After watching that episode again I will hope for many more series to come - bloody fantastic.

7. dodgebizkit

Haha you are even taller than me :-D I'm 6ft5 lol wow you would be giant even to me and I'm hugeee... you could pat my head while I pat his head and he could pat... A cat? A small cat :-D A chain of patting, now wouldn't that be classic? Oh, and you are a space weevil, yet it would take both of us to catch a space weevil? And more to the point, the person who said that is talking about space weevils like he thinks they really exist! it's too bad that Santa caught the last one, I think the easter bunny realty wanted it :O

8. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

And Rimmer would have been assumed working-class even though the family he was raised around and the life he led were upper-middle-class? Doesn't make sense.

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol aww so we both tower over little bedford a song comes to mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA :P
    and not to sure about your chain of petting haha sounds scccurrry!
    and what! no crunchy king prawn left!? and if i'm the weevil and it takes 2 of us to catch me.. would i still exist?! where the hell is santa to explain it all!!! :-D

10. Unrumble

Unrumble Third Technician

Parallel Universe springs to mind: "Lister, female opposite. Rimmer, female opposite. Where's miiiiine?"

Although part of me wants to throw in the line from Rimmerworld that always makes me burst out laughing:
    "What about me, Derek and Titan?"
    :lol:

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Or... Lister was taking the smeg out of him.

No offence, but some of you guys take things so literally.

12. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

Not quite the same. In Lister's case, his bloodline was always unclear as he was an orphan. Rimmer on the other hand was believed to have descended from Lecturer Rimmer, which explains why the JMC probably even accepted him into the Space Corp in the first place - even though he probably never passed a single test. His presence would have been based solely on unproven but expected potential based on his believed parentage. Of course, by the time the radiation leak occurred Rimmer was already an officer aboard the ship, though his real parentage may have been realised by Holly.

So, doing the future potential test all over again (because it's not Rimmer's suitability as a JMC officer, but his suitability as a bunkmate for Lister) factoring in the new evidence, Holly probably realised that it was all but certain the truth about Rimmer would eventually cause him to become far closer and suitable a bunkmate for Lister than Petersen or Toddhunter ever could be.

I mean, you'd have thought Holly would have resurrected Kochanski - but those two are simply so different that they're doomed to fall out and go their separate ways eventually. Lister's relationship with Petersen and Toddhunter could be similarly doomed due to the fact that these guys aren't similar to Lister at all. They're just "blokes", and get along because they're "blokes" - they're not real peers like Rimmer and Lister were always destined to be.

13. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I took back my 'mummy-gazpacho' soup comment ages ago. Doug tweeted: 'Lister was taking the smeg'. From the mouth of Doug. End of issue, really.

14. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Sheesh... you clearly didn't read any of my posts after that one, or you would have realized that I stated on several occasions very soon afterwards that I understood what Lister was doing there, and was happy with the sequence.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

http://uktv.co.uk/dave/blogpost/aid/654781

Interesting interview with Chancellor Wednesday here.

I was particularly intrigued to hear that Doug had asked him to scale back his OTT comedy acting to better fit the scene.
    It offers some hope, at least, that Doug might one day have a little word of a similar nature with Chris Barrie. 8)

16. Angelic_Storm

Thanx for that! :-)

You know what I found weird? In every series X episode prior to "The Beginning" all 4 of the main actors to a greater or lesser extent, were guilty of overacting, and playing up to the camera. In "The Beginning" I didn't notice any overacting at all from any of the actors. It was like I was watching the characters again, rather than watching the actors doing weak impressions of the characters. I think that was one of the contributory factors (though not the only one) as to why the last episode is my fave of the series.

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I dunno I don,t think there was much overacting in Entangled either. Incidentally that along with this one were the 2 real standouts this series. I hope episodes like those would set the new standard if we are lucky enough to have a series XI.

18. Angelic_Storm

I dunno if "The Beginning" was the last episode filmed (even though it was the last one aired), but if it was, the above video interview could be a clue as to what happened. Perhaps by the time it came to filming this episode, Doug had noticed the cast overacting a bit and playing to the audience, so he told them to tone it down. The episode definitely feels "tighter" than the previous ones, there's less of a loose feel to the performances. Don't get me wrong, some of the earlier episodes of this series I really enjoyed, but the overacting was definitely something I noticed from time to time. Episodes like "Trojan" would have been even better had they the more tighter, more concentrated performances from "The Beginning".

The more I see the simulants from "The Beginning", the more I love them! Especially the Berserker General and his right hand man, Chancellor Wednesday. :-) The seppuku scene was a classic for me though right from the first time I saw it!

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Sorry Sara! I wasn't really aiming that specifically at you (although it looks like that in the way I replied). That's why I included the previous post as well (the one you were replying to).

But yes. Apologies. The tone of my post appears rather irritable.

I forgot he was called that! When they described 'beserker' I had this image in my mind of a crazy ... well leather clad space viking foaming at the mouth. Then we got this rather well spoken, (although just as ruthless and insane in his own way) aristocratic character. It did provide some great comedy though. That sepuku scene made me chuckle, but I have a bit of a twisted sense of humour.

I saw a post on Ganymede and Titan stating that scene was a lift from a Mitchell and Webb sketch. While I don't remember it, it did ring a bell, but I like to think this is just a case of great (if warped) minds thinking alike rather than intentionally copying a scene.

20. Angelic_Storm

I wasn't sure whether you were aiming that specifically at me, but I had to address it as it's not the first time in this thread I've had to explain myself regarding that issue. Very soon after I made that post (the one you quoted), I felt rather foolish for making it, so I hope this is the last time anyone will bring it up. :P

Hey, that's okay! No harm done. :-)

On subsequent viewings of the episode, the Berserker General is definitely more ruthless and evil than I had thought on my first viewing. He's a great character, and played wonderfully by Gary Cady. I knew exactly what seppuku was before I watched the scene, so when the general slid the sword across the table to his chancellor, and told him he knew what he needed to do, I had a very good idea of what was about to happen. In a way, that made the scene even more enjoyable for me, although the way the scene was executed and acted was delightful. It's difficult to make such a gruesome act so amusing, but that it most certainly was! :-)

Mitchell and Webb? Who are they? lol