Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

Best of the series and easily one of the best ever. Loved it. I notice some "fans" complained they recast Rimmers father. In BTL it was John Abineri who passed away in 2000.RIP

2. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I was very pleased that the guy they got to play Rimmer's dad in this episode at least looked a bit like John Abineri.

3. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

After watching this episode again, I can now safely say its my favourite episode of the series :-)

I didn't really notice much overacting. A few things, yes, but for the most part the acting was very good, IMO Craig in particular turned in a very good, solid performance in every episode.

I liked the overall tone of this episode more than the others, and liked that Lister and the Cat were able to play a good part in Rimmer's storyline. however once again Kryteb was sidelined which sucked.

All typos are auto correct cos im on my phone :-)

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Probably because he wasn't.

Not quite sure why I keep seeing Dominator Zlurth described everywhere as a "beserker". I don't remember the term being used at all.

5. Angelic_Storm

Kryten said that "Deathships are captained by special Berserker Generals, who've been cross bred, to create an insane bio-mechanical entity of pure evil!"

So Dominator Zlurth is a Berserker General. ;-)

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Type (or "model") of Simulant he is: Berserker General
    Name: Zlurth

Easy.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Fair enough. I must have missed that line. I love the little face Kryten pulls at the end of that line. It reminded me of his description of the Inquisitor..."Blood chilling TERR-ORR" :lol:

Zlurth has seemed familiar to me since I first saw him and again after I heard him speak. I recently remembered who he reminded me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImIIrzOBxNk&feature=related

It's quite uncanny! I bet they both own a sword of spite!

8. Angelic_Storm

Haha, from the first moment I heard him say that, I was instantly reminded of the "blood chilling TERROR!" line! :-)

Woah, Knightmare! lol I used to watch that all the time as a kid! :lol:

9. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

It was :-)

10. Angelic_Storm

I had a feeling that was the case, and now my theory does make total sense. Thanks for that! :-)

It was as if in the earlier episodes in the series, the actors were feeling their way back into playing the characters. At times, it was like watching the actors doing inferior impersonations of the characters, instead of "being" them. But by episode 6, it was like they were back in the groove, they "became" the characters again, the performances seeming much more organic and less forced. Lister in particular was much more "Lister-like" and less Coronation Street than he had been at times earlier in series X. Hopefully, much less time will elapse between now and the start of filming series XI, so the actors don't have time to forget how to embody their characters properly again. lol

11. Navior

Navior Skutter

What a great episode! I have a review on my blog.

12. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

Excellent episode, possibly the best of series X. Great lines, story and Rimmer revelations. An 8 out of 10.

13. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

One of my favourite Red Dwarf episodes ever. I loved every second of it.