Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I am wondering which Rimmer it is. Series 1-6 Rimmer died saying 'Gazpacho soup', not 'mummy' as indicated in the episode. It asks more questions.

2. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

It was a good episode, but after being 'bigged' up for quite a while I was expecting something spectacular and it didn't really deliver to the level I thought it was going to. Wasn't too keen on the start as it just felt a bit odd, but it got better towards the end and I enjoyed it. Good thing is it left me wanting more, which is always encouraging!

7/10 Trojan
    6/10 Father And Suns
    3/10 Lemons
    8/10 Entangled
    6/10 Dear Dave
    7/10 The Beginning (based on one watch)

Not a bad series, better than 7,8 and 9, but not as good as the earlier stuff. BUT better than pretty much anything else on TV at the moment!

RAGE

3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I really enjoyed that episode. I really hope there is a series XI. It may not have been huge on laughs this episode but it was a good story. I really wish they just told us what happened at the end of 8 though instead of teasing.

4. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I really enjoyed that episode. I really hope there is a series XI. It may not have been huge on laughs this episode but it was a good story. I really wish they just told us what happened at the end of 8 though instead of teasing.

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

That. Was. Brilliant! Not at all what I expected, but brilliant non the less.

I bloody love Doug Naylor - I love his boldness and willingness to take risks - and to play with our minds like the evil genius he is...okay so I may be getting a tad carried away now. But yeah, loved it! :-)

Although I realise that some of you may be a tad smegged off with him at this point. But I enjoyed this episode muchly!...did I mention that yet?... So many revelations, so much..awesomeness. :-)

I don't think I've ever rooted for Rimmer before as much as I did in this episode. Could it be that Rimmer...has now truly evolved?

Anyway, I've so much to say about this episode but I've leave it there for now. Looking forward to watching it again though. :-)

6. magnetiser

magnetiser Third Technician

Quite liked the episode. The visuals were stunning and I enjoyed the overall story, but the overwhelming feeling is sadly, frustration; one, the lack of closure surrounding the series 8 cliffhanger (the first joke was funny, the second, not so much) and two, the reference to Rimmer's last words being "Mummy" - crapping all over continuity is just irritating, particularly when the gag is so weak.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Maybe he said 'mummy' first and then said 'gazpacho soup'.

8. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I was just going to say that! Certainly an annoying moment...

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yeah it was a decent episode, not sure how i feel about the Rimmers dad thing :shock:, and dougs universe is still to populated

10. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

The Dave Facebook page just wrote "So that's it - for now"

Pretty strong indicator that XI will happen if you ask me :-D

11. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Well that was one of the, if not the worst ever episode of Red Dwarf, and it was the episode I was most optimistic about.

Trojan - 3/5
    Fathers and Suns - 1/5
    Lemons - 2/5
    Entangled - 3/5
    Dear Dave - 2/5
    The Beginning - 1/5

Ratings for the series, apart from BTE the weakest series of Dwarf, never even chuckled once during the finale can't even think of one good line.

I'm not trying to be a Simulant or anything but this series, especially the final episode was very poor, get Rob back!! haha

12. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Good stuff! I always need a couple of rewatches before I can form a coherent opinion, but I have to say I adored the closing line from this episode. An excellent conclusion to Series X.

14. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

This is a decent episode but we were built up too much, we were expecting to know which rimmer we have (we don't), we would have closure to series 8 (we don't) and that the show would change forever (it won't).

Plus I really hoped it would be holster :P we have a better imagination than doug hehe

Cat was amazing though - the coffin line- this was the same as when cats nose let him down in tikka to ride, all the times he was a brain dead clothes obsessed idiot in bte destroyed with a friendly nod, with him being an intelligently stupid character not a dumb airhead, so much better.

15. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

Wow! Amazing how people see things differently. That is a very, very harsh overall assessment.

16. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Excellent ending episode! Loved it, need a rewatch, but my immediate reaction is a 9.5/10!!!

Proper red dwarf which I place above Out of time or back to reality in terms of best finale!!!

Bring on series XI!

17. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Maybe once I've had time to analyse it I'll feel differently, but for now, I really like it. I love the positive effect it had on Rimmer, and again, for maybe only the 2nd or 3rd time in the entire 10 series, I really empathised with him. :-)

18. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I think there've been a few moments this series regarding what previous episodes established: the Advent Hoppists, now Church of Judas, possibly both. Mummy, gazpacho soup, or possibly both. I'm intrigued.

Loved the ep and the series, though. I'd give The Beginning 9/10, and probably rank the series 5th or 6th fave.

Certainly been nothing better on the telly this year.

19. rmwebs

rmwebs Skutter

They would be stupid not to - it's been their highest rated show EVER, in fact I have a feeling that I read somewhere (may have even been here on the RD homepage) that the ratings were the highest of any FTA channel that wasn't one of the standard 1-5 channels.

Bet the BBC will be wanting it back so they can air it on BBC Three! :lol:

20. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

For me, it's a tie between that and Trojan for best episode of the series. Just great. I think it's still a bit off in terms of quality when compared to Gunmen, Quarantine etc but it would make my top 10, possibly top 5.