Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. rmwebs

rmwebs Skutter

They would be stupid not to - it's been their highest rated show EVER, in fact I have a feeling that I read somewhere (may have even been here on the RD homepage) that the ratings were the highest of any FTA channel that wasn't one of the standard 1-5 channels.

Bet the BBC will be wanting it back so they can air it on BBC Three! :lol:

2. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I guess that's what a forum is all about haha :-D

3. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I didn't mind it - just not as good as I'd expected. The rogue droid was annoying, but the premise was first class. the simulants were too comical, remember how they were in Gunmen. Proper mechanical killing machines. Rimmer has defo evolved and i really liked Blue Midget in this episode. The end leaves you nicely into series XI...PLEASE!

7.5/10

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

doug cheated in many ways with this episode, i mean we didn't find out how the ship changed, which rimmer it was and even then doug has mixed the 2 rimmers up to the point its just weird

many won't agree with me but i think that was kinda lazy of doug but hey :shock:

the joke was more of a fan thing aiming towards doug really in that kinda pft yeah like im gonna explain that wink wink

5. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I agree this series has been Rimmer-centric, to a degree, but every episode has started with a shot of Dave. The first character we see. To me, that suggests more of a focus on him AND Rimmer.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Not bad. Fun opening, the rogue droid stuff felt like classic Dwarf but why another comedy foreign accent? All that misheard “you keys my brother stuff” As always the pacing of some of the gags was wrong, the sword scene went on for ages!! Loved the way they dealt with the cliffhanger of the appalling series 8!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha to all you fans wanting an explanation! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

But not sure why this episode was called The Beginning, no real major shake up or reboot. After all the hype not really sure about how great a revelation/twist the stuff about Rimmer was. Is it really a new beginning for him to find out his dad is a gardener?

This & Trojan are the only episodes I've enjoyed on any real level. . . so in closing, RIP Red Dwarf.

7. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Another one, the main one for me was that he said his last words were "mommy", completely disregarding previous episodes,

I want to know what goes through his mind when he writes that, what???

8. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

Some people talk rubbish and I suspect ben is doing it for attention. I would put it in the first 6
    series ahead of 1 and 2 but not ahead of 3-6, but far better than series 7-9. Anyways.....

Trojan 8/10
    Father And Suns 7
    Lemons 7.5/10
    Entangled 8/10
    Dear Dave 6/10
    The Beginning 9/10

Overall 8/10

9. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I definitely can't wait to watch the re-airing of the episode in just over an hour's time! My initital thoughts... I didn't particularly like the opening scene, or the simulants being funny instead of threatening like the older episodes (although the Hari Kiri/Seppuku gag was awesome!), but after the pretty huge disappointment I felt with the last episode, I'm really pleased with this one, and how the series overall, came to an end. I have a feeling after another couple of watches, this one might be my fave episode of the series!

10. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

More Starbug for series 11 though, and get Holly back.

11. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Would you please tell me what part of any of my posts are rubbish instead of being rude? Thanks :-)

12. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Honestly, I think most of those criticisms are ridiculous.

We explicitly DID find out which Rimmer it was (the note about his last line was just a continuity gaff - or maybe Lister was just poking fun at Rimmer) and did you really expect to find out why the ship changed?

In fact, I'll tell you why - because fans hated the pencil. Given that the inside of the ship changes with every series, I REALLY don't think he needs to explain why the outside changed, too. Who the hell cares? It's completely irrelevant given what else changes series-to-series.

13. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Definitely!

14. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

Seems promising - but there's just one thing. It seemed as if there was too much closure in terms of the episodes title and the last words spoken by Rimmer. Wouldn't it be a really cool send off to call the last episode "the beginning" and have Lister's quote from "The End" as the last sentence from Rimmer? Of course it would! And that's exactly what happened. It would seem a little off to have such a decent send off THEN proceed to have another series. It would ruin that nice touch a little. Not that I don#t want another series..... You get me though?

15. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I'm glad I still have 2 pint-cans of Stella left.

Can someone with a non-private account tweet doug to ask "so.. Which rimmer is on ship?"

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Rimmer's become American now?

17. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

Though I'm generally left with positive feelings about Series X, there are issues that need sorting - Naylor (I can't refer to people I don't know by their first names) still has a habit of over-elaborating and repeating jokes until they aren't funny anymore. That's where a good writing partner and/or editor would step in. Also, he packs too much into each episode - one of the exceptions being tonight, where the narrative was pretty streamlined. Thankfully the tendency of the cast to mug to the audience died away as the series went on, and the performances began to feel more 'natural'.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

in series 8 it was explained why the ship changed to a pencil, so i don't see why its wrong to think doug could explain that away, but you can look at it through eyes of this is a funny show and the cast are funny so who cares about continuity errors, but i dno it kinda bugs some of us =)

and as for the Rimmer thing, well either one rimmer is dead and this is the original rimmer or this rimmer is the series 8 rimmer and has all the original rimmers memorys which is left to us fans now, which seems abit of a kick in the gut

19. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

It was CLEARLY the original.

And also, it's just been confirmed on Twitter that Lister was taking the smeg out of Rimmer by saying his last words were "mummy mummy". When Rimmer said "No they weren't", he was referring to what we actually KNOW they were and Lister's correction was him, again, teasing.

It's really nothing to be complaining about.

20. ajrimmer2012

ajrimmer2012 Third Technician

One of the best episodes of Series X. And I agree and hope there will be Series XI. Happy that it showed more of Rimmer's past - as Rimmer is one of my fave characters - and a nice little nod to 'The End'.

Roll on, Series XI - we want more Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten!