Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I think Lister was just joshing him, to be honest, since he *did* promise never to talk about Gazpacho Soup again, if you remember ;-)

2. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Yeah I get that, but I think it was a wrap up in case there were no more episodes, which will be good if there aren't any more.

But...I really really want another series, and I'm pretty certain we'll get one!! :-)

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Thing is, tying up loose ends is never fun to write, & less fun to watch! How would it be funny? It would only be of value to hardcore fans. Casual fans, & I'm guessing there are a lot who are watching this show, don't really care & would be alienated by the exposition about something that was left unresolved over a decade ago!!! :roll:

4. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Not sure about that... I loved seeing Blue Midget again, and it's new interior looks awesome! Overall, I haven't been very impressed with the visuals this series, but Blue Midget looked great!

5. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I may be mis-remembering, but I'm fairly sure that at the recording Rimmer did respond by pointing out that as Lister very well knows, his last words were 'Gazpacho soup'. I remember thinking it felt like we didn't really need that, as we all know that too, and I guess somebody in the edit suite agreed ;-)

6. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Good answer, thank you for sorting that out :-) At least some people on here are friendly :-)

7. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

For me, in a nutshell (based on 1 watch:-(

- The absolute best of Series X by a country mile; I actually laughed out loud on at least three occasions, watching alone
    - "You kill my brother. I challenge you to a duel across time and space"... wonderful parody of Princess Bride!
    - Continuity bug - Rimmer dying and saying "mummy" and not "Gaspacho soup" - bit irritating, but I guess the two could have been said in quick succession.
    - the simulant hari kiri scene - very funny!
    - Loved Cat's incredible cattish inability to focus (getting distracted by the stick & string) whilst simultaneously giving Rimmer some of the most deep and insightful advice!
    - "his ego is smaller than a pixie's right nut after an icy bath"
    *wipes tears of mirth from eyes*
    - THE LAST LINE: OH MY GOD, INCREDIBLE TIE-IN and suddenly understood why this episode is called The Beginning! Possibly the best end line they could ever have thought up. Wonderful fan throw-back to the very first episode.

Could really do with more episodes like this one - seems like the series has only now picked up its pace in terms of classic gags and humour, the other five episodes don't hold a candle to this one.

WELL DONE RDX!

8. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I understand that - I guess what I'm saying is that no one has questioned why the interior of the ship changes so it makes no sense to question the exterior. If people were asking about both then I'd be fine with it.

9. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I think the sets, model shots and backgrounds have never looked better. One of the highlights for me.

10. simulant37

Yep, that's what I thought. Surely it was obvious that this was one guy taking the mick out of another. . .:roll:

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I'd love to see a screenshot of the Battleplan, up close. Correct me if I'm wrong (I tried to see what was on it for as long as it was on screen) but it looked like most of the table consisted of 'collecting ideas' and other such things, and the little white triangle right at the end was where they had five minutes to spring into action? XD

Like I said, could be wrong, but it seems a nice little nod to Rimmer's timetable crafting in IWCD :-)

12. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

Dave commissioned TWO series, so we can expect XI, with any luck~

13. simulant37

Really?

14. MacabreMagpie

I do recall that, when it was first revealed, we were told that two series had been commissioned... possibly by Craig Charles?

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd like to see a high resolution version of it appear in the photos section of the DVD.

16. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

You both may have a point. :-)

Remember though, right after Lister said he wouldn't mention Gazpacho soup again, when Rimmer says "let's go for another drink." Lister says "Super!" as in "SOUPer"! lol xD

17. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

There were snack breaks in there too, lol

18. MacabreMagpie

Favourite line of the episode?

It was in the trailer but "or we COULD look out of the window" was a great line.

19. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Yes best ep of series x by a mile, you could stand the next too series 3 to 6, hope we dont have to wait to long before 11.

The young Rimmer scene was vintage classic dwarf, and the we had the classic long Red Dwarf shot with the series 1 2 music, I creamed.

20. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Yes best ep of series x by a mile, you could stand the next too series 3 to 6, hope we dont have to wait to long before 11.

The young Rimmer scene was vintage classic dwarf, and the we had the classic long Red Dwarf shot with the series 1 2 music, I creamed.