Episode 6- The Beginning

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

Two bits that made me laugh

Rimmer's timetable with snack breaks

Lister in the back shouting "Grab them forks, we might need those!" :lol:

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I loved the shot of Blue Midget going into the asteroid field. Very epic.

3. On4r4p

On4r4p Skutter

What was the last line already ?

4. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

How did it make it clear?

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Overall, there have been funnier overall episodes in this series, but plot wise, they really nailed it with this one! Probably the closest this series has come to classic Dwarf, and for the first time this series, Rimmer really shined. :-)

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The slime's coming home.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

was no one abit bothered about the Rimmers father stuff? after the impact his father had on him in better then life

8. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Because Rimmer revealed that he died in the original incident on Red Dwarf which the Rimmer from series 8 never experienced. The only contradiction was the misunderstood joke about his last words which are explained in the above post.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

"Rimmer's my son?!?"

10. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Just read a Doug Naylor interview online where he says, and I quote (on the future of the series)

"But in terms of how this series has been received, it's been very, very positive and the ratings have been terrific"

I wouldn't say it has been that positive, I mean reading what other people have said online, other sites such as Facebook and IMDB, what people have said on here it hasn't been that good, good but not great. The average rating I have seen a lot on here is 7/10, most people have given episodes that or has averaged out at that, which is good, but not very, very positive.

Plus if he thinks Kryten blowing spoons up his ass, Lister humping a vending machine and Cat talking about poo jokes is going to restore the series to the standard of 1-6, think again Naylor

Ben :-)

11. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Looking forward to seeing wether a more confident rimmer aids series 11 and wether this results in some ace rimmery rimmer stuff

12. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

"Plot a course for Red Dwarf, the slime's coming home!"
    8)

13. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Third Technician

I absolutely loved this episode. My favourite of series X by quite a distance. Really felt like classic RD, can't wait to see it again. Utterly brilliant.

Doug's a cheeky man isn't he twice dangling the answer to the series VIII cliffhanger that he knows so many want to know, before cruelly snatching it away. It was good and funny though. I think this episode had more laughs from me than the entire rest of series X, and I did enjoy the other episodes (to varying degrees). Roll on series XI *crosses fingers*

14. Angelic_Storm

Maybe on further analysis of that, I might feel differently, but somehow in the context of the episode, it really worked. It also had the strange effect of making Rimmer a likeable character! Funnily enough, one of the only other rare times Rimmer came across as likeable was that scene in Better Than Life, because I felt empathy with him. :-)

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I didn't agree with A. Recasting him, and B. Revealing he isn't his father, that's 24 yrs of character development down the drain

16. simulant37

:-D

The ratings have declined with each episode. . .

17. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Well, the original actor DID die.

18. Angelic_Storm

I absolutely adored that line! It really tied in with the "Plot a course for Fiji, the slime's coming home!" line from "The End". Just makes me wonder where the show can go from there?! lol :-)

19. simulant37

I think he has been too likeable in this series. He needs to be an annoying git again, if they make the mistake of going ahead with series XI :roll:

20. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I know but like Heath Ledger's Joker, honour his memory by not recasting him.

And revealing he's not his father was a poor choice for me, some may like it but since 1988 I've thought that he was Rimmer's father, and they've just gone away and screwed that