RDXI Episode lengths

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I would like to see future series of Red Dwarf go out to 35 or 45 minutes. I know XII is already filmed so that's not happening, but for for XIII+. The episodes in XI all felt rushed and often truncated. It felt like we were a stone skimming over the top of a story, when I want to sink to the bottom. They had abrupt endings, and the resolutions often felt out of place in terms of the story. The viewer is enjoying the story and suddenly the resolution swoops in because we're at the 23 minute mark and need to end. Watching XI felt like being on a payphone and being told your money had run out, and you didn't get to finish your conversation. In Officer Rimmer he resigns because he needs to get through a door, then they blast it and the credits roll before you even see the shot. And all he has to say is "I resign". Who'd he say it to, the computer? In Can of Worms, the Cat can't kill the Polymorphs and spends the whole episode MIA because he's in a sort of crazy trance off-camera, then he suddenly reappears in the last thirty seconds to resolve the episode by shooting them all. When asked for an explanation as to how he knew who the Polymorphs were, we just get "a mother knows her own". I wanted an explanation as to why he suddenly decided he could kill them afterall when the whole episode he couldn't. It just feels like the episodes are being crushed into this artificial 23-minute TV slot. If the TV execs say no, then does Red Dwarf even need to be on TV? It has such a large and dedicated fanbase that it could just release new episodes online or straight to DVD, and have episodes as long as it wants.

2. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

I don't think they need to be longer, maybe just planned out a little better. I mean we got stories packed in the half an hour before. I think the final episode (if there ever is one) should probably be like an hour long.

3. smegrightoff

smegrightoff Third Technician

Yes to longer episodes, no to the rest.

Dave (UKTV) funds each series, without them funding it there will be no series. No doubt Doug (GNP) has accumulated a fair amount of wealth in his time, but I wouldn't hold out on him self funding a series, whether it's too much of a risk for him or whether he doesn't have THAT kind of money, I don't know.

Rimmer is part of the computer network (jmc on board computer) that runs the ship. The part of the ship's AI which used to communicate with the crew is currently dead, due to water damage, so the computer operates as a semi conscious computer, and as Rimmer makes a decision, that decision is made by the computer and Rimmer simulates making the decision, so as he says that he resigns, the computer demotes him and strips him of the officer uniform.

Cat can smell a polymorph and had his emotions sucked so he had no problem killing his offspring.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm pretty sure the episodes were approx. 30 minutes long exclusive of ad breaks not inclusive. I think the whole run including adverts is around 40 minutes. Back to Earth was 30 minutes including adverts , so 20 something minutes each episode, but X and XI had longer slots to play with.

Which doesn't negate your point concerning abrupt endings and having a bit more time, to be fair.

I didn't really have an issue with the endings apart from Shannara, but as many did, I guess there's an issue. An episode with a bit more time would be nice, but then the past RD series did find with the same time period.

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Not so sure about longer episodes either. Now..... I would REALLY like Red Dwarf to air more like an American season, you know 24 to 32 episodes a series/season. (Believe it or not I was thinking this last night as a thread topic maybe)

6. smegrightoff

Even 14 episodes would be good. I think Doug prefers the 6 because he wants them to be a comedy, and writing a show with lots of jokes and comedic scenes is taxing. If he was to write it as a science fiction show with jokes and comedy throughout, no doubt he could write 14-24 40 minute episodes per year or every two years. We would end up with the show resembling the better parts of VII and BTE in that case, which I wouldn't mind for a while, but I would prefer more classic style dwarf. If Doug was comfortable writing more episodes of greater or the same length and the quality didn't suffer, it would be fan, but that just won't happen.

7. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

The Cat
    a) had his emotions sucked
    b) his inability to harm them only lasted until they were fully grown

8. smegrightoff

Abe, like Kryten's brother? 8)

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I watched them online, and they all came out about 23-24 minutes for me.

Doug might be able to self-fund a series and then recoup it from ensuing sales. If not, I'm sure a bank would give him a loan. If not, it could possibly be crowdfunded, ie every Red Dwarf fan donates a fiver . . . the main cast might even agree to receive their fees afterwards.

10. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

Double check those timings, Deep, I think you misremembered. They're 30 min eps broadcast in 40 min slots. Watching Officer Rimmer online, I remember it getting to 27 mins and thinking blimey, how will they finish this?

BTE was 23 minutes of show in a thirty minute slot, and it felt a lot shorter than RD XI. XI was overpacked rather than brief, IMHO.

11. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

According to the DVD runtimes, the eps are 28-29 mins long.

12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Right, the episodes run from 26-29 minutes rather than 23-24 minutes.

13. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Always leave em wanting more is what I say. If the shows were 35-40 minutes long they would sag a bit in the middle I think. Even classic shows like The Sopranos sometimes seemed to end 'suddenly' because if you are engrossed and enjoying it you don't want it to end.

Look at BTE as a whole, or BITR as well, both have their good points and a solid plot but they are rarely featured among top ten or even twenty lists because there is too much filler.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think the episode lengths are fine as is. I think longer episodes would just lead to more padding to the detriment if the episodes overall. I also think the series are fine at 6-8 episodes as I personally think longer series would mean weaker individual episodes. I'd rather see 4 or 5 good episodes than a dozen plus mediocre ones.

Ant E likes this.
  15. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

In total argument with you Simon:-D

16. Abe but more Christmassy and all

I hate being nitpicky about proper language use online, but I think this makes a difference - are you in agreement, or are you disagreeing with him?

17. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Clearly I want to start an argument:-D

18. Abe but more Christmassy and all

I'll gladly join if you succeed.

19. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

The episodes are the same length they used to be, and older series managed fine with 30 mins. Doug clearly just needs to write and direct the episodes better.

20. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Know you don't.