RDXI Episode lengths

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Ahh you've seen right through me:-D

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I think there have been numerous episodes over the years that would perhaps have benefited from longer running times. And I support this suggestion, in part, by pointing to the many great deleted scenes on the dvds which Rob and Doug had to cut specifically due to restrictive time constraints. Which I think is a shame. I see it as little different to restricting a musician to 3 and half minute songs. Art, regardless of it's format, needs room to breath, to express itself in the way it's envisioned and intended.

And as as such, in an ideal world - well not necessarily ideal just ever so slightly less restrictive really - I think it would be nice if each individual episode was allowed to be the length it needs to be. Okay so maybe having no restrictions at all wouldn't be entirely wise or practical, so perhaps something along the lines of a multiple-choice system of guidelines. So for example each episode could potentially be written to fit within either a 30, 40, or 50 minute time slot. And so long as it's all planned in advance, it need not have negative spin-off effects in regards to the wider schedule.

But since this hypothetical scenario is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future, from a more realistic stand point I'd perhaps try to push for 40 minute episodes.

For what it's worth, perceived abrupt endings are not my personal primary reason for feeling longer running times would benefit the show. In fact other than what I assume to be the intentional 'Tarantino-style' ending of Officer Rimmer, I'm not even sure I agree that the majority of endings were overly abrupt. For me it's more to do with Doug coming up with many great sci-fi concepts which I suspect he could and would very easily flesh out and make even more awesome were it not for the pesky time constraints.

And more broadly I just think longer running times would be a little more fitting to the general sci-fi comedy-adventure style of the show at this point. If it were still done in the style of series 1 and 2 then my views on this would quite possibly differ. But as things currently stand I'm all for longer episodes.

3. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Who are you?

4. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

A random Red Dwarf fan. I've been posting for a while now.

5. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Hi