Even women and neilold are silent!!!!

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold king Wenceslas, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Okay... After 10 minutes of contemplative thought I have settled on...

THE SHINING!!

Whilst it would hardly be my go to choice for grabbing a DVD off the shelf and having a nice horror-watch with a big bowl of comfort food, it is so perfect in what in does.

Clive Barker once described the movie Suspiria as being "Exactly what you always imagined a horror movie was like, back when you were still too young to have seen one." - which is one of my favorite quotes regarding what it is about the genre I love so much. Whilst I disagree with him on the merits Suspiria myself, I would apply that quote to The Shining quite happily.

Like most of Kubricks films the characters in it are meaningless pieces of furniture and set-dressing - they come across as barely human, we don't symapthise or relate to any of them with their awkward, joyless, stilted dialogue that almost seems like it was written to be as unrealistic and theatrical as possible. In fact it probably was. But none of that matters because The Shining is all about dread... relentless escalating dread. And within it are two notable and famous moments that to me are the closest thing I have ever seen to someone accurately encapsulating what a nightmare feels and looks like.

It also has the greatest trailer I think any horror movie has ever had:

I like to imagine being sat in the cinema in 1980, having gone to see Caddyshack or something - and suddenly that pops up before the movie...

2. neilold king Wenceslas

neilold king Wenceslas Science Officer

I personally think the shining Is overrated. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I just don't think it deserved the status it has. I never found the blood stairs, or the two twins that creepy. Also not that keen on ambiguous endings

Plus over the years it has being overanalyzed to the point of ridiculousness, though that tends to be the norm with Kubrick movies.

But like I said, not a bad movie, just nothing special to me. Mind you the reasons I like the evil dead and American werewolf would seem equally questionable to others.

3. neilold king Wenceslas

I also think the Barker quote is good to. Although that would be black Sabbath in my opinion. Which was older, and would have being more of a shock due to it being a more modern, at the time, phenomenon. Suspiria is also due for its remake release this year

4. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Well go on then!!! What the hell kind of a debate is this?! Lay your reasons on me!

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.
  5. neilold king Wenceslas

Evil dead because of its infancy and my love of video nasties when I was at school they were always being discussed, and that was the one discussed most. It's one of the very few gory movie to scare me. Plus of course the FX and film work and the loudness of it really adds to the gore. American werewolf, well I've always being scared of werewolves, and that was the scariest. Plus it's very funny and the transformation scenes were something to behold. Of course there are countless other horror movies that I could easily fill a top ten with. I also love hammer movies, as they were always on the telly when I was a kid, and are virtually every body of my age groups first introduction to horror

6. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Well then you may be shocked and stunned to find us in very firm agreement.

Both The Evil Dead and American Werewolf in London would find themselves in my top 20 without hesitation.

I shall leave you with a recommendation of my own which you may well not have seen because its slipped under the radar even with most die-hard horror nerds. 2013's "There are Monsters" - which is a low-budget indie that completely exceeds its own limitations. The plot is fairly derivative - its basically invasion of the body snatchers, though more Lovecraftian than alien - and its all done via the now overused trope of found footage... But amazingly it still manages to be wholly original in it's deployment of it all. And its very frightening.

7. neilold king Wenceslas

Cheers, no I haven't seen it. I usually despise found footage horror, but I'll give it a whirl

8. the last Mr Frosty

the last Mr Frosty Science Officer

Ok keep me posted

Not

9. neilold king Wenceslas

Why revive a thread long forgotten by me just to ask me not to comment on it? Ant you are truly an unusual mammal

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

We're all still awaiting your review of There Are Monsters, Neil.

11. the last Mr Frosty

the last Mr Frosty Science Officer

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

If only Neil Old really was silent.

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.
  13. neilold king Wenceslas

I never saw there are monsters, so I can't review it. You still haven't answered why you revived the thread only to say it was pointless ant

14. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG]

Underdunn likes this.
  15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Who is this man? I don't recognise him.

16. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

It's Neil's spirit animal

17. neilold king Wenceslas