Ever feel it was a cop out with rimmer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Elwood, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Was it just me, or did it annoy anyone else that the original Rimmer, the one who grew to be well liked and such, went off to be Ace Rimmer, never to be seen again? We then ended up with a Rimmer who had none of the seven seasons of story or development. He was just same old Second Technician Arnold J Rimmer.

2. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Exactly; all his character development was just flushed into space in a garbage pod. The Season VIII Rimmer was exactly the same as the season I rimmer.

Maybe they'll bring back ace in Back to Earth ... :-D

3. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

Yea, "Stoke Me a Clipper" kind of pissed me off, it really did seem entirely too pat. Plus it just came out of no-where, there was no real lead-up to it or anything. But then, Rimmer's character had been slightly "off" since series VI if you ask me. :?

4. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah it is a bit of a crap situation, but it was brought about by Chris leaving the series. I can't really think of a better way to have got around this, in fact I think it was a pretty clever idea - although one with drawbacks. Personally I hope they can say that they've merely got a copy of the original Rimmer's hologram file that is slightly before he became Ace, so they've booted that up instead of him being a hologram of the resurrected Rimmer from series VIII. Is this making sense? :lol:

5. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Yeah that I'd love. Simple to execute, and the same old Rimmer who can refer to his past. I'd love that.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

What if the current hologram actually had combined memories of the two? I.e. The memories of the original Rimmer before he left the ship, and the memories of resurrected Rimmer? I quite like that idea.

I'm not sure how the memory update technology works though. According to the novels, all crew-members brains are scanned when they join. I'd think there would need to be periodical updates though right? What if someone worked on the ship for years, rising through the ranks? They suddenly die, and the hologram would be a lower ranking officer.

My theory is there are periodical updates. They'd need to be fairly regular as a person could die at any time (unlikely but possible.) It wouldn't necessarily need to be an in depth scan though, in fact they might not even have to use the head gizmo at all. If they've got technology to record your dreams then maybe a surface scan happens around the same time. Wirelessly so to speak.

Am I putting too much thought into this. ;-)

7. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Don't worry, I think along those lines too. :lol: Yeah I think there have to be regular updates (Rimmer even knew that he had failed to repair the drive plate, although maybe Holly just told him this)

I'm curious about how and why Rimmer has been brought back as a hologram (within the story, not Doug Naylor's reasons) Originally it was Holly's idea - Now Holly is gone. Maybe he brought him back before he went offline or whatever.

8. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I thought that too...

It may have been Lister's idea...

He hated Rimmer, but as stated in his funeral, he kept lister sane

9. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Personally I would have liked it more if the crew had got into some sort of conflict (with simulants or Gelfs or whoever) which left Starbug or Dwarf damaged and unable to maintain Rimmer`s hologram. Therefore he would have been effectively dead but it would have been easy to bring the same Rimmer back if Chris had returned.

For the specials I hope as well that it will be the original Rimmer.

10. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

poor old Rimmer, I'l miss him. Oh well, back to first season Rimmer. I'm pretty certain it will be the same Rimmer we last saw in BTE.

11. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Even though I dont like series 8 much, series 1 rimmer was great, but as mentioned, his character developed over time