RDXI / RDXII Every Series Running Order

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Abe, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Recently I've been thinking about how with each new series, we spend a while debating what order it should have gone out in, but I've never really seen a thread on the older ones (maybe they exist, idk). That said, what order do you think each series should be in, be it for continuity, hiding the stinkers, or just plain continuity? I will contribute to this in due time but it will take me a while to make a good list.

2. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I'm not sure i understand what you mean...

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think Abe is essentially asking if we would change the running order of the episodes, and what order that would be.

Im not sure yet, but I think I might have liked the XII episodes mixed up a bit so we have a mixture of on ship /off ship episodes, rather than the current order of three off ship followed by three on ship episodes. I don't mean something as formulaic as every other one though.

Abe likes this.
  4. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Interesting question. I don't think I'd make too many changes.

Series I: Would possibly move Futures Echoes into 4th place (its original place) as I think Balance of Power and Waiting for God do a better job of introducing the characters/set-up.
    Series II: Would swap Queeg and Parallel Universe around. Queeg would have been a great series closer.
    Series III: Maybe Timeslides in 4th place and Bodyswap in 5th as I think it's the weaker of the two.
    Series IV: Dimension Jump's definitely wasted in 5th - could have been a good finale, would definitely swap with Meltdown.
    Series V: I like Holoship as an opener, but there is that slight continuity issue where it mentions a holowhip but we don't find out what that is until Demons and Angels. D&A is the most 'episode 5' of the series though, so on balance I think I'd leave it alone. I'm sure there's another continuity error in RD that a change in episode order would fix, but I can't think of it right now - anyone?*
    Series VI: Pretty much perfect as it is, and I don't think you even could change the order.

*I've remembered one - in Better than Life Rimmer boasts about having sex 'twice in one lifetime', but by Thanks for the Memory it's 'once'. Even if the liaison with McGruder didn't count in the real world, it's a bit strange that he was so embarrassed when Lister learned this same fact in the very next episode. So maybe swap those two round aswell.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM
    Abe likes this.
  5. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Problem with swapping Queeg and Paralell Universe is you’d have PU ending on Lister being pregnant then no mention of it in Queeg.

Smelkus likes this.
  6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Yes, good point. Also, PU does have quite a party end-of-series-y atmosphere so I'll keep it where it is. I still think Queeg should have been made as the last episode though.

7. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I wouldn't change any of the classic era Dwarf atall. But I would put Mechocracy and Skipper into Series 11 replacing Twentica and Krysis to make the perfect series.

DAN_JMC likes this.
  8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

SERIES I
    The End
    Waiting for God
    Balance of Power
    Confidence & Paranoia
    Me^2
    Future Echoes

Alright. First, I think Waiting for God is a lot less wasted finishing right on the 'Lister is God' thread we just left at the very end of the last episode, and then the whole garbage pod and sleeping quarters sanitization thing gives us a good base to have Lister question Rimmer's authority on. Two important notes, though, and that being that Confidence & Paranoia being next means that (1) it becomes slightly ambiguous as to where Lister got sick from, however, illnesses usually can take days if not weeks to manifest and start showing symptoms, and (2) the opening line about Lister pretending to pass the chef's exam would have to be moved off of Waiting for God and put here. Confidence & Paranoia and Me^2 clearly have to go together, since the ending of one leads right into the other. Future Echoes would make a fantastic season finale, ending on a note that the boys have a long future on the shop with many adventures still to come, also, we don't have to end on the good but not really series-ending-quality "souper" joke.

What do you all think about this?

9. Smelkus

Smelkus Skutter

I have read that series 4 order was changed on its 1st broadcast and shown in its preferred order on the repeat showing but cant find what the preferred order was does anyone know the preferred order for Red Dwarf IV

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

Meltdown was supposed to be first and Dimension Jump second, but they moved them to the end because of war, I think.

11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant