Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Because they met before

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

When?

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

In Stasis Leak the Lister and Kochanski that they meet are in the hotel, that beardy Lister is from the future (albeit one which has since been retconned out). I would presume the future Lister had explained things to Kochanski and these events from his point of view were his past, so he knew to expect current non-beardy Lister and Cat would come calling. I don't think anyone from any of the alternative futures actually meets past Lister at any point.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Eh?

I'll try to simplify the question.

Why are Kochanski and Lister (regardless of when they're from) not freaked out when they meet another Lister (regardless of when he's from) ?

Hold on, just read your answer again and I think I understand. They're not freaked because beardy Lister knew when and where non-beardy Lister would turn up, as they'd already seen it in the past?

Or is it just because I've been jabbing it too hard?

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Yeah, that's it.

6. simulant37

Right, in Lemons Jesus reads a bit from some history book then presumes its about him?!? He later claims that Jesus is a common name so why does he assume the one in the history books is him?!? :?

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

He doesn't know what a book is...he wouldn't know how to interprete it, an instinctive interpretation would be as if it was to do with him.

8. simulant37

They had writing & parchments etc in the time when Jesus came from so don't agree.

9. Diet_coke

Not in the form that we know today

10. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I thought the same as Harry but also that the photo in the book looked like him!

11. simulant37

I know. But how does one have "an instinctive interpretation"?

12. Diet_coke

Well, if I read something that was about 'Harry' I would think 'ooh that's me' not 'oh that's about prince Harry'

13. simulant37

Really? If you found yourself over 3 million years in the future & you found something called a book & your name was in it you would assume it was about you?!? Wow...:roll:

Further evidence of how deluded you are about your own importance...if you please...:roll:

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I posted this in the 'last episode' thread, but will ask it here too as I'd genuinely like an explanation.

In Timeslides, during the dinner scene at Lister's mansion, Gilbert his butler, says "As requested, sir, it was helicoptered in this morning from Luigi's Fish 'n' Chip Emporium. An artist beyond comparison, sir."

Does anyone know why he pronounces it "Fish ner'chip" as opposed to "Fish an' chip" ?

It's almost as though the actor saw it written down in the script, but was unfamiliar with the expression and puts the wrong emphasis on the 'n' part.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think it's deliberate, I think the actor playing the butler is trying to make it sound like the butler is so sophisticated that whilst he was able to pronounce Sabrina's (not even going to try and spell her surname!) meal fluently, he's so unfamiliar with working class type meals that he's got no idea how to say it the name properly. I would agree that it sounds awkward and even making that assumption it doesn't work very well though.

I guess it's supposed to emphasise the contrast between Lister's roots and his post-Tension sheet wealth and luxury.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

No, but if you that ship contained individuals that had met me in my time period, (and the tall chap with the H fawning over me in an unsettling manner) then brought me to there's.. I might think there's a reason. And end up falling into the same mistake they did after finding my namesake in their records.

What bugs me is Jesus's ability to read modern day English. Them talking together is a bit of a stretch but I could at least put that down to a universal translation thingumy or learning Ancient British on the long walk to India (although Greek would have made more sense back then.)

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

This isn't related to plot point, but one thing that's always puzzled me is Rimmer's psyche.

How can a person be crippled with self-loathing and have such delusions of self-importance at the same time?

In Me², his initial reaction to having himself on board is delight... finally he has the chance to spend some time with a truly great person. In his words, "I'm about to share my life with someone who'll give me encouragement and understanding. The thrust and parry of meaningful conversation."

Why would someone who hates himself react like this on meeting himself?

I know that towards the end of Terrorform there's a suggestion he is unaware of the hatred he holds for himself, with the line: "Self-loathing? I don't loathe myself. What is there one could possibly loathe about me?"

But this doesn't make sense, as he already admitted to the Unspeakable One earlier in the same episode, that he does loath himself.

18. simulant37

Probably best to direct this question to a psychology forum...:roll:

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, probably :-D

20. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

The crew thought he was the one in the book, so let him have a look at it saying, "Here you are Jesus, this is you in later life." There's probably a drawing which would look like Lemons Jesus and he's probably a bit stupid so believes it could be him.