Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Maybe we should all remember those vital keywords, so often used by Naylor and Grant whenever they couldn't come up with an explanation; such as "It's 'mutated'..." and "Don't ask me how, but..." :-D

2. Lister: "CHRIST! MY HEART!"

3. STAR_PIRATE

STAR_PIRATE First Technician

Kryten: "Should I get the groinal attachment sir!"

Rimmer: "I told you, it would all catch up to you Lister"

Lister: "Smeg head!"

4. I'm just imagining that scene from "Futurama" but adapted for Red Dwarf:

Kryters: "My Lord, He's having a heart attack!"

Rimmer: "Just bung him in stasis; They'll have a cure for it in the future!"

Kryters: "We have a cure for it now!"

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I've never really understood why other space travelers have the ability to just beam themselves on board Starbug (Philip from Rising Damp in Holoship and Casandra's dad in Gunmen of the Apocalypse).

6. STAR_PIRATE

They have the matter paddle... I suppose it's sort of beaming isn't it.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Oh, I thought that was a device unique to the RD crew?

8. It was a prototype they found on Z-Deck... I presume RD had a Scientific Research Division?

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Exactly, so how are others able to use it to beam aboard Starbug?

10. I would hazard a guess that other people can invent their own teleportation tech?

11. STAR_PIRATE

The RD crew only use the matter paddle in one episode (Meltdown)... The matter paddle is supposed to have the capability of detecting distant planets with an Earth type atmosphere and transporting you there.

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG]

I'm not entirely understanding your point here. Slow Monday, sorry ;-)

Maybe essence was the wrong word. How about actuality or reality?

13. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

Also, who knows how many leaps forward in technology occurred during the years after the Red Dwarf crew bit it. Although Lister is considered the last human being alive 3 million years into the future, humans probably still lived on for a good long while after he was put into statis. The universe is probably littered with all sorts of technological advancements well beyond what's available to the lads on Red Dwarf.

Even if human society reached it's end only 500 years into those 3 million years that Lister was in stasis for, that still could make a huge difference in available technologies. Imagine what someone from 1514 would think of all the advancements we've made since then.

14. Hollo Marx: Nice to see another Marx Bros. fan on here. I've had troubled times in my life which Golden Years of Hollywood films have helped me through. I'm also a member of the Silent films forum Nitrateville (www.nitrateville.com).

15. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

Hi Melanie. :-) Nice to see another fan on here too, I'm afraid the name went over the heads of a lot of people and I had a lot of explaining to do. That's what I get for being a fan of a comedy group whose members were all dead before I was born. ;-)

Who's your favorite Marx Brother? I love all of them, but I have a soft spot for Harpo.

16. I have a soft spot for Harpo too... reminds me of Tom Baker's Doctor on "Doctor Who".

17. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I did my best. The problem isn't the word, but the fact that it's a vague and meaningless and therefore unscientific idea. Try to define "essence" or "actuality" or "reality". If they can't be defined, they aren't anything science can use. They're vaguely philosophical, abstract ideas, not scientific ones.

You still haven't tried to say what you mean by those terms.

Thanks for the picture... it has a steering wheel!

Try this: Lister takes a picture in the 23rd century. It sits for 3 million years and survives. This flat image on a bit of cardboard is a few blotches of color on paper that look like a certain scene from a probably long dead planet. The negative is the same, only on a piece of plastic. A "mutated" developing fluid comes along, and somehow finds some vague "essence" of the original event. Supposedly. I'm saying that no matter how amazingly fantastically mutated the fluid is, it won't find anything left of the original event, or the people in the picture, or the time or planet it was from. None of that is there in those blotches of color. It's just a picture.

It's only in the human mind that there's significance to these blotches. We see a photo and make the connection to the event in our minds. That's it.

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

What was there when the camera took the picture. I thinking we're probably playing with different ideas here; either that or I'm having a slow Tuesday too. ;-)

I'm not looking too deeply into it; at the end of the day it's just a story from a made-up universe. :-)

19. I'm thinking of writing a story where the Dwarfers meet some people from my television alma mata, Grange Hill, Imagine Rimmer and Mr Bronson.

20. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Mr Bronson is quite likely Rimmers real dad.