Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

How funny, I never noticed that before, but he really is reminiscent of Harpo. Even Tom Baker himself noticed it and wished he could have played Harpo. How fantastic would that have been?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Talking about Mr Bronson...I'm currently reading one of Michael Sheard's autobiographies. He comes across as a really nice guy. It's a shame he's no longer with us.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Explain that...

Why doesn't the 'last post' link on the main forum do what it's supposed to do and take you to the last post of a given thread?

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Your post is in the wrong place, it should be in thereddwarf.co.uk conference not in Red Dwarf on TV as it is not related to the tv show but the workings of the forum if you please...:roll:

5. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

But it does fit the 'Explain That' thread :roll:

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I used to think Simulant's provocative nature was unintentional, but I now see it for what it is and it no longer gets to me, if you please... :roll:

7. simulant37

But this thread is in the Red Dwarf on TV conference which is about the tv show NOT the workings of the forum so no, it does NOT "fit the 'Explain That' thread"...if you please...:roll:

8. simulant37

Err, how is explaining that you have put something in the wrong thread "provocative"...You clearly have & that is undeniable...:roll:

9. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

The Inquisitor - why does he replace people with those who seem to have squandered their lives in the exact same way? Thought the point was to remove those who screwed up their life?

Demons and Angels - Lister references the fact he gave birth to twins, seen time running backwards, and played pool with planets but wasn't White Hole erased from their memory since it technically didn't happen? How does Lister remember playing pool with planets then?

Dimension Jump - not only is Ace's ship a dimension jumper but it's a time machine since he would have jumped 3 million years to reach Red Dwarf's Rimmer. Nobody seems amazed by this.

Trojan - as above, Howard is 3 million years ahead of his own time independent from the Red Dwarf accident, presumably alone. Shouldn't his encounter with his brother stir up more amazement.

10. simulant37

Because he is God & therefore omniscient.

11. Sammy Psycho

There are no hard and fast rules, some things have a crossover , so there.

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Quite right too.

Why is there no ham in a hamburger? Explain that! :P

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I have often wondered about that especially as some places refer to burgers as'beefburgers' and they seemed to be same thing.

Which they actually are. (Unless they happen to be chicken or lamb burgers of course.)

An internet search later it appears* its actually* a reference to the city in which the dish originated rather than the contents. The German city of Hamburg. Just in case you were wondering.

And I'm aware I might have just answered a question intended in jest, but, well.... I think it's quite interesting....

*Bearing in mind everything on the internet is the pure unadulterated truth. (Hurgh. Hurgh! Where did that unexpected coughing fit come from?)

14. simulant37

But there is NO crossover between explaining the workings of the forum & the tv show...:roll:

15. Strat-tastic

QI indeed :-)

Isn't a Berliner a type of burger too??? And a Frankfurter a sausage....?

And Bayern München a football team. No that's going too far OT. ;-)

16. Sammy Psycho

And the Black Forest is a cake of some description (gateaux). Could every place in Germany have a food related connection ?

17. Strat-tastic

Munchy Gladbach :lol:

with chips please :P

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Ein berliner is a donut, not a burger. There's a famous quote from JFK where he said Ich bin ein berliner, which meant I am a donut, what he was meant to say (expressing solidarity with the people of Berlin) was Ich bin einen Berliner which changes the meaning of the sentence to I am a Berliner.

19. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Inquisitor - I think the idea was to replace those who haven't *tried* to make an effort in life, not those who screwed up...that is why Rimmer was to be spared and lister to be erased.. After all, Rimmer had actually made an effort by taking exams etc.. It wasn't necissarily his fault he was a natural failure.

Demons and angels - true, his memory would have been erased, however the episode DNA where his DNA is re-arranged would have also restored this memory.

Dimension jump - ace went to a dimension which was *3 million miles away* who is to say *3 million miles away* is not in fact also *opposite* in a paralel dimension, making them actually very close..

Trojan - *same as dimension jump*

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think anyone ever gets round to explaining to Howard that he's been brought 3 million years into the future before he's killed.

With Dimension Jump, it doesn't seem all that remarkable considering they can cross with ease into alternate parallel dimensions (Although it seems a bit odd that the ship's navigation should be tied into the pilot quite like that).

I had wondered about Lister's comment in Demons and Angels too, but for the odd occasions like that I'm happy enough to go with Kryten's explanation on the Smeg Ups/Outs (Can't remember which); "We made a mistake. Okay?!?"