Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think Lister was drinking more than usual. BtE strongly suggested Kryten told Lister she was flushed out the airlock. I guess Kochanski could have commanded Kryten to lie , but that wasn't really my impression. I think Kryten wanted to spare Lister the knowledge she had left him again... although I'm unclear why news of her death would be better...

Was Kryten still jealous and saw this as a selfish opportunity to keep them apart? Lister would likely have chased her if he'd known she had left.

I sort of got the impression that the Kryten of BtE had got past that silliness of Series VII though.

There is certainly plenty of stuff left untold.

FeeBee likes this.
  2. Pinny

Pinny Third Technician

This is a silly one but if, as Fathers and Suns suggests, Rimmer's type is busty blondes, why does Camille present herself as a svelte brunette to him?

3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

He might not be entirely in-tune with his own preferences. They could also have changed over time, due to different things depending on how you interpret Back to Earth-and-beyond Rimmer.

Pinny likes this.
  4. Pinny

Pinny Third Technician

Changing tastes was what I put it down to.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Or it's a nail in the coffin of the "original Rimmer" theory.

6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It's about as far-fetched as all of them.

Original Rimmer requires that his preferences changed between Camille and Fathers and Suns, perhaps off on his Ace Rimmer voyage - after all, Ace seems fairly attracted to himself.

New Rimmer requires that somehow he have encountered different circumstances each time through before Camille and Fathers and Suns, but it's not like he has many different circumstances in terms of what women he encounters before one or the other, except maybr Holly or Kochanski.

I'd actually say this leaves original Rimmer more likely.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Rimmer's bravado over women is as overblown with masculinity as the rest of his projected outward personality. He bigs up his actual rank (Acting senior, chief commander, etc, etc) gives himself silly nicknames like "old Iron balls" and so of course outwardly projects what he sees as a testosterone fueled ideal of womanhood, the big breasted blonde bombshell. It's his watery attempt to make others see him as the type of man he feels he should be to be accepted.

However, just as his internal personality doesn't reflect his outward show, his actual preferences towards women are very different (McGruder, Ivana Crane and the Camille illusion are all svelte intelligent brunettes).

jmc2000, FeeBee, Pinny and 1 other person like this.
  8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I'd like to take a moment and point out that her name is Nirvanah Crane, if I remember right. I'd make a Trump family joke but I'm too tired.

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

He had image of his sister-in-law Janine in his mind as ideal type of woman. She was the woman he always wanted.

I don't know, if English speaking people know that Ivanka means little Ivana.

Abe likes this.
  10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Queeg, the collision with the meteor throws Rimmer onto the table. Rimmer is a hologram. Did the Hologram Projection Suite simulate him being thrown onto the table to make him look more realistic while they were being struck by a meteor?

11. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Thanks for clearing that up!

Abe and Pembers like this.
  13. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

The general theory is that it should simulate permanent and semi-permanent objects on-board the ship, except when a hologram specifically intends to pass into our through it, so I'd imagine so.

14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Stasis Leak one stasis booth is leaking, and Lister says "there's a spare stasis booth".
    In Krysis, Lister says "we'll go into stasis".
    How can "they" go into stasis if there's only one functioning stasis booth?

15. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

There were more on Floor 13 that they didn't know about during Stasis Leak.

16. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

The stasis booths are clearly big enough for more than one person.

FeeBee likes this.
  17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

The stasis booths are obviously designed for a single person. Having reviewed The End, you could probably squash up to three people in if you had to.

18. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Or 2 people and 2 suits.

Abe likes this.
  19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Did Kryten and Rimmer go into stasis in Krysis? They don't need to. In fact, none of them needed to since we assume the trip to the Nova 3 only took a few weeks/months because otherwise Kochanski might be dead. But given the whole point of the trip was to stop Kryten's erratic behavior getting worse, we can assume they must have got him into stasis too. Rimmer can be switched off, but in Future Echoes he resisted that. So maybe they just left him on for a few months. But then if it was only a few months, why did Lister and Cat bother going in, why not just put Kryten in.

FeeBee likes this.
  20. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Rimmer has been turned off before, when they went into deep sleep. So maybe he's no longer thinks they will permenantly turn him off.

As for Kochanski think I have been wondering why Lister was willing to go into stasis. This series it almost seems like at times that she no longer exists.