Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Can stasis booths be closed from the inside? When Lister went in, Todd Hunter closed the door and told Holly to activate it. So possibly Rimmer stayed on and crammed Lister, Cat and Kryten into the single stasis booth.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  2. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

They could use Starbug Stasis Booths/Fields, surely? Or maybe new Red Dwarf has more than 2 stasis booths now?

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Depends if we accept that the things on Starbug are stasis booths. We've never heard them called stasis booths. When Lister comes out of "stasis" in The End, he looks the same as he went in. When he comes out of "deep-sleep" in Psirens, he has long hair and nails.

4. RainbowGazelle

Yeah, but then they all go back into stasis in the last episode of VII to return to the ocean moon, and they're the same. So I guess the Starbug ones can work correctly.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

No, they go back into deep-sleep:

KOCHANSKI: The computer's brought us out of Deep Sleep early, it must have picked up something.

Presumably the reason they look exactly the same after deep-sleep in Nanarchy is because Starbug was made 300% faster in the previous episode Epideme. Also they were brought out early, meaning they were in deep-sleep for less than 50 years as opposed to 200.25 in Psirens.

6. RainbowGazelle

Seems fair.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Doug thought up a joke where Lister has an afro and worked backwards to create a different type of suspended animation that is carefully differentiated for two series.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Emohawk, they approach a GELF warning-beacon, which Kryten "runs through the translator" to find out what it's saying in English. But later in the same episode, and indeed in several other episodes, Kryten speaks GELF.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Huh. Good one. I never thought of that. Maybe the inital one was a dialect Kryten was unacquainted with. Or maybe he uploaded the translation software to himself after the encounter with the beacon so he could translate when they met the tribesfolk.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  10. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

The fact that this device exists makes the Modern English plot-hole in Lemons even more nauseating!!

Suggestions:

- There are multiple GELF dialects, and the warning sign was in an unfamiliar one.

- There was a specific bit of vocab in the warning that Kryten didn't have (since he isn't a native speaker, he might be like a tourist who can speak French passably well, but has to consult a book for trickier words).

- After finding the beacon, Kryten (not shown) plugged the translator into his head and uploaded the GELF grammar and vocab, in case he needed to speak GELF later on. Remember: he's a robot who does "housekeeping" on what he does and doesn't know (e.g., note the Bay City Rollers remark in Tikka to Ride). I think moving some files around would've been a sensible response to the warning beacon.

FeeBeeBells and Wenceslas like this.
  11. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Lol. Should have read to the end of the thread before replying to Deep Space!

12. HO HO HO I'M JMC

If I remember correctly, we don't see them emerging from deep sleep in Nanarchy. We see them filing through a corridor in overalls, drinking water from bottles. Maybe they'd already had their haircuts?

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  13. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Welcome to the forum

14. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Sorry, just catching up on the thread...

I think this alone - i.e., the possibility of user error - easily justifies the existence of an "undo" option. However...

I think that's strongly implied in the text. See how Kryten introduces the rejuvenation shower:

So the shower's standard operation - the rejuvenation process itself, rather than the "undo" setting - is described as a form of "returning". It might be tenuous, but it's there. They made at least some effort to explain the appearance of a device called the "returner" remote.

The fact that it "returns" them to a previous location is arguably problematic. If you used the rejuvenation shower to knock ten years off, would you be teleported to wherever you were ten years ago? That would make the shower very useful as a form of (presumably society-changing) transport, but not so handy if you wanted to look young and handsome at a nightclub (unless it was a nightclub you'd already been to in your youth, and you also wanted to save the taxi fare). I think we have to presume that the remote had some sort of global "undo" setting, or that Kryten tinkered with it. In either case, I think you're right that the "returner remote" is merely "the remote".

15. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

In 'Cassandra' we learn that the Titular character was sent on auto-pilot into deep space to get rid of her, yet Lister 'killed' her with half a glass of drink. Did the Space Corps not try that? Or switching her off?

HO HO HO I'M JMC likes this.
  16. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Literally unexplainthatable. Well done.

EDIT: But I'll have a think and give it a shot!

17. RainbowGazelle

They couldn't bear to destroy their own creation?

I know, it's tenuous at best.

18. HO HO HO I'M JMC

How about they thought they might need her again one day? As far I recall, there's no insinuation that she was fired off to nowhere in particular, to be lost forever with no hope of retrieval. She was sent to a specific remote location, where no one was likely to stumble across her by accident:

"Abandon" sounds pretty final, but maybe they wanted the option to change their minds, if they ever needed her back?

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

KRYTEN: A Gelf icon carved out of solid rock. It must be some kind of warning beacon.
    LISTER: Incoming message.
    WARNING VOICE: Karn nes eh ping. Wah twah morah.
    KRYTEN: Running it through the translator.
    TRANSLATOR VOICE: This is gelf space. Death to the strangers.

[Later in the episode . . .]

KRYTEN: Hmmm, as we anticipated, they are the Kinitawowi. Good. I have studied the dialect, they are one of the friendlier Kinteteacch, or tribes.

It appears to be part of Starbug. Kryten has to push buttons on the console.

I think this works the best. The Kinitowawi are the nearest tribe to the beacon, but at no point does Emohawk actually say the Kinitowawi made the beacon. The beacon doesn't actually mention Kinitowawi specifically, but rather the broader term "GELF". Possibly another, more senior tribe - the "GELF government" (if there is one) - made the beacon for the border of GELF-space as a whole. The Kinitowawi, being a border tribe, are friendlier than others because they're more used to dealing with outsiders? I don't know if that logic works, equally they'd be more used to being attacked by outsiders and thus more hostile. My personal preference is that the beacon was archaic and was broadcasting in "Old GELF". It was a Kinitowawi beacon, but set up so long ago that the language is now different, like Old English and Modern English
    If this were true I'd expect Kryten to offer a partial translation, to say he understands bits of it. But Kryten jumps straight to the translator for the whole thing as a matter of course.
    He says he's "studied" the dialect. We don't know what that means, it could mean in a human way, or it could be like Toilet University.

Though would the Universal Translator actually be able to extrapolate the whole language from one sentence, or is it translating from an existing database? If we're assuming there's an Old and Modern Kinitowawi, the translator couldn't possess a database of Modern Kinitowawi if it was created back in the 22nd century.

20. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Good find! In that case, based on the text, I think it's reasonable to assume he familiarised himself with the GELF language after they encountered the beacon? Otherwise, it would be a bit weird if they thought to explain how he knew GELF, but had a scene where he encountered some GELF without understanding it. Ergo, the "study" must have happened off-camera, between the two scenes. Whether he sat down with a book or plugged something into his head, we can assume he reached fluency in very little time, based on him being a robot.