Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Wut?! :-S

2. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Agree on "insipid" - I guess "adventures" was too strong a word. Maybe "encounters"?

But I much prefer the motorbike theory, I hadn't thought of that.

FeeBee likes this.
  3. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Why were the alt-crew in 'Ouroboros' not surprised to see our boys? Alt-Lister seemed almost amused by their surprise and Kochanski came prepared with an invitro-tube.

FeeBee likes this.
  4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Maybe just more competent/better organised? Perhaps they clocked the anomaly sooner and quickly deduced that there would be some mirror thems on the other side. If Kochanski had "reproduce" on her bucket list, I'm sure she would've got the in-vitro tube ready ages ago - since a stasis sperm bank is a plausible cargo on any deep space derelict (especially one on a mission of colonisation).

Pembers and FeeBee like this.
  5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Also....... when Kochanski fell into the void.......... why was it only "our" Dwarfers who tried to save her? If the other Dave (hard light remember) and her had such a close relationship wouldn't they have run back to get a crossbow and rope too? Or something similar to save her, but the last we see of them Cat and Kryton were just holding him back. Assuming they met approximately halfway couldn't Holo-Dave have shot her in the OTHER leg? Lol, think of THAT tug of war!

FeeBee likes this.
  6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Why did they even have a crossbow.

Abe, FeeBee and jmc2000 like this.
  7. BigOleDummy

To shoot the GELF's that were blasting the Portal. (Kryton... "I thought it might come in handy next time you met your wife"..... ) The GELF he had to marry to get the O/G unit in Emohawk-Polymorph 2, who were attacking the portal.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Why would there be a crossbow on board in the first place though.

Abe likes this.
  9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

He's quite right - this is addressed in the script:

Abe likes this.
  10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I don't get it. When did Kryten board Kochanski's ship.

11. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

For supplies.

12. BigOleDummy

Exactly, many crates of them stacked up there. Of course that doesn't mean ALL of them came from the other ship but they were looking through at least 3. As to WHEN............. its a mystery to me also. Maybe Kryten used the teleporter? to swipe them? We all know how much he "liked" Kochanski.

13. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

They had the linkway, the big blue thing, they were able to go back and forth. Alt-Cat was on their starbug saying something like 'Here's the supplies your Lister dude wanted'.

14. BigOleDummy

I don't remember seeing that. Will have to re-watch tonight. Well, remember seeing the linkway but not the rest.

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I've got one!

Problem: despite the fact that Kochanski is still "out there", the crew are willing to go into stasis to reach a sister ship of the Nova 5 - presumably leaving her to die of old age while they sleep - in Krysis.

Proposed solution: we don't know what happened between Kochanski leaving and the events of BTE - or what's happened off-screen since, for that matter. Even if we assume that all significant events since BTE are shown on-screen, there's still the "lost period" where they saved Red Dwarf, regained a holographic Rimmer, and lost Holly.

So, their blasé attitude to stasis only makes sense if they've already used it (or deep sleep) at least once since her departure. In that case, she's "out there" in the sense of existing somewhere in space and time, and Lister is resigned to the fact that he already needs something timey-wimey to find her again. Another spell in stasis won't improve or worsen the outlook, in terms of finding Kochanski.

Are there any other "Explain Thats" we can bury in the lost years?

BigOleDummy likes this.
  17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Why was there mountaineering equipment aboard alt-Starbug, but not on our Starbug. Was alt-Kochanski into mountaineering, and the alt-Starbug was flying around looking for some mountains for her to climb?

FeeBee likes this.
  18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

@jmc2000 Saying they already used stasis leaves us with the same question though. Why would they have used stasis knowing Kochanski was out there.

19. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Why was there mountaineering equipment? They came across it on a derelict where it had been used to explore mountainous terrains on new unchartered planets, the alt-crew took it so they could use it for the same reason. Kryten took some for our crew thinking the same but 'quipped' about the wife thing when Lister asked him.

Why did they use Stasis when KK is still 'out there'? Well I think Stu's got it, they don't know where or 'when' she is now, she could have gone into Stasis somewhere, through a wormhole, white hole, anything. That casket of chronos already smegged up their own timeline.

FeeBee likes this.
  20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Earlier I asked how they could all go into stasis when there's only one stasis pod. But if Kryten or Rimmer didn't go into stasis, then they could have kept an eye out for Kochanski. In which case, the fact that they were in stasis is irrelevant. They have no idea where she is anyway. As long as one of them stays conscious it's pretty much the same as drifting through space normally.

FeeBee likes this.