Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Well, it could all come down to Lister finally FINALLY giving up hope for ever making a life with Kochanski. Dave's not "stupid" and nobody knows better than me about carrying a torch for someone who's gone, but eventually hope dies and is replaced by resignation. I mean......... how long has it been since she's even been slightly interested in Dave? The male ego can only take so much rejection and Dave wouldn't be immune to that. Long nights alone except for alcohol does lead to soul searching and sometimes bitter truths about yourself and those around you.

FeeBee likes this.
  2. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

I think the oddity is that - whether Kryten posts a lookout or not - Lister is effectively giving up control and risking a sad ending, if he knowingly goes into stasis while she's still alive in his own timeframe.

While he's awake, he can at least have some control and make some decisions ("Kochanski will be fifty-five this year - I better hurry up and find her," etc.). As shown in Krysis, it's a bit odd if he thinks, "Yes, that sounds like a worthy detour - helping Kryten work through his mid-life crisis. And I suppose that, if I come round from stasis and Kochanski hasn't appeared, at least I'll know she's long dead and have some closure. Double benefit!"

Whereas, if we imagine that Lister and Kochanski are already significantly displaced in time due to events from the lost era - e.g., because Lister used stasis once already, or fell down a swirly thing for a couple of centuries, before he knew she wasn't dead - then it's not that odd at all, because he already has to overcome the hurdle of time-travel if he wants to find her, and going into stasis for a couple of hundred years can't make things any worse.

FeeBee likes this.
  3. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

This is the one that makes most sense with me. A lot does go on between series and even episodes.

R.I.P. 2000 likes this.
  4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

This doesn't make sense to me because in Entangled, Lister thinks Kochanski might be on the BEGG moon, then he thinks she might be on the ERRA station. This means he believes her to be still in his universe.

5. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Did you even watch the episode?!! :sulk:

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I try not to watch the episodes too much. I don't want to turn into one of those nitpicky fans who tries to find continuity errors all the time.

R.I.P. 2000 likes this.
  7. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I have quantifiable reservations

8. R.I.P. 2000

He was briefly (desperately) hopeful that she was the woman in stasis at the ERRA station - which would still be possible (and just as unlikely!) if he was thousands of years in her future.

He says he wanted to know if the BEGGs would help find her (which could mean assisting in a hunt through time as well as space) but notes that they haven't "seen" her. Given that the BEGG chief is old enough to have eaten the alumnus of an English public school :P it may be that Lister was hoping to hear something like: "Yes, we saw her two hundred years ago, heading towards..."

I actually like the theory regarding the Casket of Chronos though. Perhaps, when the dust settled after Twentica, they found they'd lost a few hundred years due to relativistic effects. In that case, Lister and Kochanski are already separated in time, and a bit more stasis won't hurt.

FeeBee likes this.
  9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

You're right, the way I remembered it was that Lister had gone to the moon because he thought the life signs might be Kochanski, but he doesn't actually say that.

I keep hearing that they were supposed to find Kochanski at the end of X but it was re-written because Dave couldn't afford the intended location shoot. So Doug has a definite idea where she is, and it's somewhere expensive to shoot.

FeeBee likes this.
  10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

All post-BtE references to Kochanski:

Trojan: If Kochanski walks through that door now and wants sex, I'll wedge it in me bum crack and get to work.
    Lemons: We've got to get back to the Dwarf and find Kochanski.
    Entanged: I wanted to see if they'd help in finding Kochanski + Kochanski's female. Kochanski's 31! Is it Kochanski? Kochanski's brunette. Kochanski's 5'5"! Is it Kochanski?
    Dear Dave: Something's happened to Kochanski?

11. R.I.P. 2000

I think these are suggestive of them being in the same timeframe as of RDX - which means my Lost Era theory isn't a very convincing one. So I guess that leaves off-screen misadventure before/during RDXI *or* Twentica (unless we say they're just stupid and didn't think).

12. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Polymorphs.
    We've seen them change into myriad shapes/forms through the years. OK but...... what about the actual "mass"? When, in Emohawk - Polymorph II, one changes into Listers hat why doesn't he feel the difference in weight/mass? And in the other instances when they change their physical shape ...... where does the mass go? And HOW? Its been many years since I cracked a Physics textbook but I thought mass was conserved the same as energy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  13. R.I.P. 2000

Or... now they have the casket, maybe they're just blasé about time because they're fairly confident they can nip back if they get out of sync?

14. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Series X, episode 4, Entangled.

When Rimmer is reading the bio of what we soon find out to be Irene E he says she's female, 31, 5ft 5 and brunette, however when we see her restored to her true human form she is clearly a blondie, WHATUPWIDDAT?

And before anyone says its cos the Erra station gets everything wrong, the rest of it seems about right (maybe that's what needs explaining.)

15. R.I.P. 2000

A bio would presumably include your natural hair colour... maybe she dyed it?

FeeBee likes this.
  16. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Thought about that but Shirley it would be a bio on a person as they were stasisinated?

Hence the height and ages being right (it seems)

17. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Am I right in thinking there was some rush in getting the last part of that episode together? I suspect they didn't have an Irene E when the stasis stuff was filmed. I know that's a production explanation, but the other two explanations above (ERRA gets stuff wrong or she dyed her locks) are perfectly adequate in-universe solutions.

R.I.P. 2000 likes this.
  18. Cruel Slayer

Thinking further on this, her state when put in stasis was apish, something not mention on her bio.

Dismembers and BigOleMummy like this.
  19. R.I.P. 2000

Welcome back Paul!

20. Cruel Slayer

Thanks, and I hope you're well, JMC! :-)