Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Surely her dying her hair is irrelevant given she'd been turned into a gorilla and then turned back. Why would the gene-sequencer-type-thingy remember her hair dye.

The way I looked at it was that Irene E was a brunette, as a gorilla. Gorillas are brunettes.

FeeBee and Cruel Slayer like this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

As I recall that whole sequence was hastily re-written and they were originally going to find someone or something else in stasis.

3. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Sorry, to be clear - I was actually suggesting she was a natural brunette/bottle blonde (hence "brunette" being recorded on the bio) - but happy with the gorilla explanation too :-)

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Yeah but I mean, if she was a bottle-blonde, I don't see why the gene-thingy would remember that. I assume it's working off her genome.

5. R.I.P. 2000

It wouldn't - her genome would be brunette whether her hair was blonde or pink or all the colours of the rainbow.

If her blonde hair isn't natural, a genome-based bio would be blind to the fact she's blonde. That's why it records her as a brunette. EDIT: Thus being a possible explanation for why a blonde-looking woman would have a bio that lists her as "brunette", as per the script.

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Yes but it did. Irene E is re-created as blonde, and it wouldn't remember her hair dye.

The only way I make sense of it is that "brunette" is referring to her current gorilla fur, not her original human hair, which must have been (naturally) blonde.

7. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Was nearly on board with this one, but the gorilla wasn't 5,5

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

How tall was the gorilla then?

Explain this:
    Why is Kryten, a sanitation droid, an expert on everything from Iron Age Britain to Biblical Studies to Greek Myth to Expanoids? Was he just an interested amateur who read history books in his spare time? Did he always know all this stuff or did he download some "total universe knowledge" database from Red Dwarf to assist in adventures?

Mardroid likes this.
  9. R.I.P. 2000

Ah, I understand you now. I was only thinking of the description on her file versus her physical appearance. It's a fair point that she would have been recreated with her natural colour.

10. R.I.P. 2000

I think Kryten is more a butler/household assistant than a mere toilet cleaner. For instance: he mentions knowing Bay City Rollers lyrics for purely cultural reasons. I think he would be expected to field general knowledge questions, and provide dinner guests or bored crew with diverting trivia.

If you think of him as (among other things) a walking Siri, I think his encyclopaedic knowledge makes more sense. Also, three million years is a long time to add to that foundation of general knowledge.

11. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Kryten, he says he spent three million years watching Androids and sleeping. So the knowledge was either pre-programmed, or programmed post-Red-Dwarf.

Which touches on one of my other Explain That's, that of television still working in post-apocalyptic deep space. That episode that Kryten is watching: at the time I don't think we think much of it, but he must have seen that episode hundreds of times. The Nova-5 must have had a finite boxset of Androids.

12. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

The second half of that episode is dreadful

13. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Well, lol I've watched series 1 of Red Dwarf at LEAST 50 times probably closer to 75/100 and still enjoy it. So multiple watching's is not totally out of the question if , like R.D. for me, its his favorite show. Depending on how many actual episodes and seasons/series there were of Androids stretching them out would be at least feasible. I mean...... what if Androids lasted for 1000 series? With 50 episodes a series? He wouldn't have just sat there watching 24 hours a day in any case.
    I do tend to think it was recorded media he watched as any broadcast or beamed transmission would degrade due to the Inverse Square Law, no matter where it originated.
    http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2012/3390.html for a idea of how far we've "sent" our earth based radio/tv signals so far. That's not saying that Androids were broadcast/beamed from Earth either , just an example of the Galactic distances involved.

Didn't Kryton at one point install a program in himself to "learn" something? I may be confusing this stray thought with another Robot/Mechanical being.

14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Well Neighbours is 240 episodes per series. Kryten was built in 2340, served aboard the SS Augustus where the crew died of old age, then served aboard the Nova-5 where the same thing happened. Depending when Androids started, Kryten could have a boxset of potentially tens of thousands of episodes.

In the books it says there were 1974 episodes, though I don't know if that's just how many Kryten had when he left Earth, or if the show had ended.

15. R.I.P. 2000

Kryten has mentioned that he can delete information he doesn't expect to need again. So, he could do Holly's Agatha Christie trick, and endlessly rewatch (and enjoy) a finite number of episodes.

BigOleMummy likes this.
  16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

That works for Kryten. But we know Red Dwarf runs out of tv because of how excited they get in Better Than Life when a VHS of Groovy Channel 27 arrives. Especially awkward in that XI episode where they change channels and talk about a channel package. I guess it must be an enormous digital boxset of reruns. So it's like Dave, basically.

Given they use VHS in the 22nd century, does that mean there's a room somewhere with an enormous archive of VHS tapes storing all these programmes? And some poor skutter changing the tapes all day?

17. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

The episode of Androids?

18. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Is it ever actually stated how long the crew are in stasis in Krysis? I don't seem to recall any specified number. Perhaps they thought it was better to use stasis just to avoid Kryten doing anything potentially dangerous (such as crashing into some vital controls while he speeds around or perhaps pulling a confidence and thinking "I should try exploring space with no suit on!"), and the rest of them going into stasis so they didn't screw anything up in the meantime, even if just for a few months.

19. R.I.P. 2000

VHS - maybe they improved its storage capacity in the future? Like a solid state VHS, with the capacity of ten thousand 20th Century VHSes?

The channel package in RDXI - maybe another mail pod arrived, with a complete upgrade for the in-flight entertainment, and a JMC computer to manage aspects of life on board?

20. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Could be, weren't those VHS's triangular as opposed to rectangular? In all probability "VHS" could be a "kinda funky" nickname for the futuristic recorded media , a retro throwback thing or could stand for something entirely different altogether "Video Harddrive System" or "Very High Subpixal" , something like that.